IGNORED

05 R1200RT Hesitation Under Hard Acceleration

Boxerdad

Looking for your experience / advice.

I'm on a 2005 1200RT. I'm getting hesitation / power loss under hard acceleration.  When it loses power, it doesn't feel like fuel starvation. It oddly feels like it's bumping against a rev limiter. I can bring the bike up to maximum RPM if I don't call for power abruptly. 

It has 65,000 miles, & a dealer just installed a warranty fuel pump at 59,000 miles. It ran fine for about 4000 miles.

The low hanging fruit was spark plugs. Even though they only had 10,000 miles on them I changed them (they looked fine). No joy. It still has the hesitation.

Temperature doesn't seem to matter. It's happened at temperatures from 104 - 32 degrees F.

As far as I know the coils have never been changed.  Also in full disclosure, I have removed the upper coils, more than once, using pliers.

Aside from grounding the coil and plug to check for spark, is there a way to test the coils?

Does anyone have any other diagnosis or ideas?

49 minutes ago, Boxerdad said:

Looking for your experience / advice.

I'm on a 2005 1200RT. I'm getting hesitation / power loss under hard acceleration.  When it loses power, it doesn't feel like fuel starvation. It oddly feels like it's bumping against a rev limiter. I can bring the bike up to maximum RPM if I don't call for power abruptly. 

It has 65,000 miles, & a dealer just installed a warranty fuel pump at 59,000 miles. It ran fine for about 4000 miles.

The low hanging fruit was spark plugs. Even though they only had 10,000 miles on them I changed them (they looked fine). No joy. It still has the hesitation.

Temperature doesn't seem to matter. It's happened at temperatures from 104 - 32 degrees F.

As far as I know the coils have never been changed.  Also in full disclosure, I have removed the upper coils, more than once, using pliers.

Aside from grounding the coil and plug to check for spark, is there a way to test the coils?

Does anyone have any other diagnosis or ideas?

Evening Boxerdad

I'm on a 2005 1200RT. I'm getting hesitation / power loss under hard acceleration.  When it loses power, it doesn't feel like fuel starvation. It oddly feels like it's bumping against a rev limiter. I can bring the bike up to maximum RPM if I don't call for power abruptly. 

It has 65,000 miles, & a dealer just installed a warranty fuel pump at 59,000 miles. It ran fine for about 4000 miles.-- Still could easily  be fuel starvation.  

The low hanging fruit was spark plugs. Even though they only had 10,000 miles on them I changed them (they looked fine). No joy. It still has the hesitation.-- Good first thing to check.

Temperature doesn't seem to matter. It's happened at temperatures from 104 - 32 degrees F.-- Does it ALWAYS do it or just once in a while? Did the problem come on slowly or all at once?

As far as I know the coils have never been changed.  Also in full disclosure, I have removed the upper coils, more than once, using pliers.-- Doesn't sound exactly like a coil problem but you can't rule it out.  

Aside from grounding the coil and plug to check for spark, is there a way to test the coils?-- Not easily as the secondary is isolated so not easy to test. The usual cause of a BMW stick coil malfunctioning is arcing internally to the RFI shield & that can't be tested for easily. You can TRY using an old AM radio on an off-station with radio close to the cylinder heads, you might hear a heavy static in cadence with the cylinder firing if an internally arcing coil.  

Does anyone have any other diagnosis or ideas?-- Check for cracked throttle body cams, check for a plugged fuel tank vent (plugged evap canister), try by-passing the FPC fuel pump controller, check all the fundamentals.

Get a GS-911 that motorcycle & set it up to trap engine data while riding when the problem is actually happening.

My '06 did similar a couple years ago.  Under hard acceleration, it didn't play well, but I could gradually accelerate and bring the rpm's high, not at a quick twist of the throttle.  Once the bike was at cruising speeds, no issues, it was only under hard acceleration.

Get a good coil stick and check them.  Mine ended up having a coil stick gone bad, bought a used one and all was well after that.

Thanks folks.  The problem came on all at once.  I was on a trip in L.A. traffic, where hard acceleration is handy, and it just started misbehaving.  There was no evident cause.

I had what sounds like the same issue in 2017. My mechanic switched coils, (did not replace), did  other things and sent me on my way. Problem didn't go away. I took it back again and he replaced the coils, upper or lower or both I'm not sure, but my '05 RT has ren perfectly since. Having to do everything, checks, returns, retries and finally wasn't cheap but since I'm not a mechanic, and he's really good, getting it finally fixed was worth the cost.

The Rocketman

With cracked throttle body cams being so prevalent lately, I agree in taking a look at them. If it came on all at once, maybe a chunk has fallen off.

• 1 year later...
Thierry the Frenchy

Hello my name is Thierry and I am encountering the same problem after we change the complete throttle on my BMW RT 1200 YEARS 2006 - 

The situation is very similar and very inconsistent when I do accelerate or when I am at higher speed with an RPM of 6000.

My first impression is that their is sudenly too much Air coming and create the hesitation.

How did you resolved your problem as I brought my motorcycle 3 times to the dealer expressing my dissatisfaction !

what is your reocmmendation ? Thierry   

5 hours ago, Thierry the Frenchy said:

Hello my name is Thierry and I am encountering the same problem after we change the complete throttle on my BMW RT 1200 YEARS 2006 - 

The situation is very similar and very inconsistent when I do accelerate or when I am at higher speed with an RPM of 6000.

My first impression is that their is sudenly too much Air coming and create the hesitation.

How did you resolved your problem as I brought my motorcycle 3 times to the dealer expressing my dissatisfaction !

what is your reocmmendation ? Thierry   

Morning  Thierry

You really need to start your own thread on your problem as adding it on to someone else's (different year motorcycle) thread is hijacking that thread.

When you start you own new thread we will need WAY more information from you as you have changed the "complete throttle" whatever that means. We need to know when the problem started, did it suddenly start or slowly appear, was the problem there before you changed the "complete throttle", EXACTLY what is a "complete throttle"?

Do not answer here, please start you own new thread on your problem.