IGNORED

Crash bar questions

jack d

I recently bought a very clean, scratch free 2013 RT. I would like to put protection bars on it to protect the cam covers and the saddle bags. The bars I am looking at for the engine are Mofans

https://www.amazon.com/MOFANS-Fit-Compatible-8480/dp/B08VDHZWHZ/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?keywords=bmw+r1200rt+crash+bars&qid=1637947086&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFLSDNITUhSR0Q1RzEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3Mjg2MTUyOEI1NTdGWENXWTM5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2MDEyOTMyQ1lDTFJQRTA4Mjc1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I am wondering if I will have to remove the bars to change oil/filter. or adjust valves. If you have experience with these bars I would appreciate your inputs.

As far as the saddlebags go I have read complaints in the past about bars interfering with the passenger's legs. If anyone has experience with a particular brand I would appreciate hearing from you as well.

Thanks, Jack D.

The photo is not a Camhead engine which the 2013 was the last year for the Camhead on the RT.  

I have a 2012 and I have the Z technik bars. No interference issues with oil filter and drain plug. You can also remove the valve covers with no interference from the bars. 

The engine protection bars shown installed on the bike appear to be knock-offs of the Wunderlich bars that came with my '06 Hexhead.  The pictures of the parts alone show additional vertical bracing in the front of the cylinder head, might be a good thing. Wunderlich uses the same part number for both '06 and '13 model years.  I never have to remove the bars for oil/filter changes or valve checks. I used to remove them to take off the lower fairings, but I have found that even those can be carefully removed with the bars in place. Pull the top slightly out and rotate the fairing forward and up. The steel bolts need anti-seize to prevent galvanic corrosion in the aluminum crankcase. Without panniers or rear guards, the valve cover can still be scuffed if the bike falls.

$130 vs $428 is certainly tempting.

I've no experience with the rear bars, but suspect my wifes short legs would not get along with the tall Wunderlich version. Ilium Works has a set that I think look better and are low enough to prevent interference.

The knock offs might have inferior metal. They might corrode, finish subject to pitting and so on. You get what you pay for. Best to research these particular ones from any reviews you may find. If they have been recently released into the market you have no long term field testing results. 

For 1/4th or 1/3rd the price, I'd be willing to give it a try.   Relative to the cost of the alternatives, I'd say it low risk.  Plus, since this is an Amazon purchase, if they arrive and are actually thin tubing (think cheap lawn furniture), with a couple of clicks, you can drop them off at your local UPS store and get your money back.

Just make sure you do a "due diligence" inspection for quality welds, material, fitment, etc., before you go too far on the install.

I'm just disappointed that they're not making them for the 2014 model year run.

I guess there are more alternate options to the $400+ price tag out there, than I realized. 

Here's another option:  https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/R1200RT/2018/AB0024BK/

They're available on ebay, and I believe Amazon as well, around $220 USD ($208 at https://twistedthrottle.com/)..  The one review I saw on this bar set said that they were light for crash bars, would protect for a roll over only.  However, I'm not sure any crash bars are going to protect the side cases if you go down at a decent amount of speed.

Technically they are not called crash bars, but engine guards.

The joy of money saved is quickly lost with inferior product. Do your due diligence.