IGNORED

Where Are The Air Heads?

Bumwah

I have owned BMW Motorcycles for a long time and ridden longer. I pose the question, Why No Air Heads? A discussion forum dedicated to the Original Sport Touring

motorcycles that led the way to New Sophisticated Sport Touring Bikes. Personally, I started with a 1974 R90/6. Then a 1953 R51/3, and then a 2004 R1150 RT. I have peppered the Oil Head Forum with many questions, as I learned the nuances of a more modern motorcycle. Everyone has been helpful beyond belief and informative.

I know from time to time I have questions about my R90 and would like to be able to have a forum to share information and opinions. I guess I wonder why it isn't here 

already...

47 minutes ago, Bumwah said:

I guess I wonder why it isn't here 

The reason that there is no dedicated forum is that so few posts are ever made about airheads.

We do cover airheads in a forum although it admittedly is a bit hidden 

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 4.01.38 PM.png

Non R/K , seem to mean not R or K... Just threw me a curve.

I would have thought R90 or R51 would be R bikes. 

Oops... then, I saw AIRHEADS

Thanx

I think most folks on here, unlike myself, have long moved on from airheads. When I have a question, I go to forum.boxerworks.com. They are a totally different crowd than what you find here, but they do know all things airhead.

9 hours ago, Red said:

The airheads have a substantial club at rallies.  Surely there is an online forum.  Something on the MOA site or BMW Riders Assn perhaps.

There is a good presence on bmwmoa, ibmwr.org and even over at advrider.com but the most active is probably https://www.airheads.org/

This forum/club is unique in many ways. 

More about the ride, the adventure, the comradery than just the bike.

Not many here are putting 10,000+ miles a year on Airheads. Now it is probably coming to that for Oilheads too. The knowledge is there, but typically in-depth discussions are not so deep as on other forums.  

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Traveler1 said:

Lots of good stuff, including access to "Snowbums" technical dissertations.

Duane Ausherman also has an excellent web site that answers anything you want to know about airheads

On 11/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, realshelby said:

This forum/club is unique in many ways. 

More about the ride, the adventure, the comradery than just the bike.

Not many here are putting 10,000+ miles a year on Airheads. Now it is probably coming to that for Oilheads too. The knowledge is there, but typically in-depth discussions are not so deep as on other forums.  

So true. When I joined it was all Oilheads, all the time. Owners helping owners solving all problems Oilheads and getting together over love of their machines. Camping at events was the norm. Time marches on, members come and go, bikes get more sophisticated and complex and computer controlled. 

The love of Beemers is the common thread tying us together.