IGNORED

Eddd

Twisties

Eddd (Ed Grafwallner) passed unexpectedly yesterday, November 15, 2021.  He was out with his ATV group when they said he slumped over.  

Ed was one of the most helpful people I have ever known, and always had an energy and smile about him.  Ed was always at Torrey, Death Valley Days, and many other west coast events, along with most UnRallys.  Ed was a long time moderator on the board.  

His matter of fact, slightly gruff, manner sometimes hid his deep humor, but not for long.  Ed would have you laughing in no time.  If there was anything to be done, Ed was there ready to jump in and get it done.  

His passing leaves a huge hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Rode many miles with Ed.   East and West.  

enjoyed it.  

Even when he decorated my RT with pinecones in Torrey as a talisman.  

RIP Ed. 

1 hour ago, Twisties said:

His passing leaves a huge hole.

Ed was a great friend and yes Torrey and other gatherings will not be the same without his presence.

Always a joy to be around. Just saw him at the Death Valley ride. He seemed fine and dandy as always, so shocked to see this news.

Russ

• Like 1
Calvin  (no socks)

Had many hours of BS sessions as well as motorcycle riding, mechanical malfunctions and a myriad of meals in Torrey. Happy Trails Eddd, you will be missed. 

Sad news for sure, Eddd was a fixture around these parts and a good friend to many. Like Jan said, a little gruff at times but thoughtful, patient, and always willing to help. He was Mr. fixit too, if he couldn't fix it it was probably unfixable. I went back and looked at some of our rides, here's a few pics in remembrance.

Untitled photo

Eddd liked to ride, no doubt about it.

Untitled photo 

Untitled photo

Untitled photo

Untitled photo

Untitled photo

• Like 2

Damn... 

Huge shock, and a huge hole indeed...

I just had breakfast with him last Sunday. We were talking about what bike he was going to get next.

Damn...

• Like 1

I've been on this forum, lurking and otherwise since about 2006.  I've "met" many here virtually, but not in person (never went on any forum rides, did one tech day in SoCal, but that's about it).   Didn't know Ed, but remember his posts.  Hesitant to comment on the man, since so many were his friends, and I'm but a stranger.  (Don't even know how old he was, but many "bmwrt.com vet's" here seem to be my age (mid 60's) or older)

My first thought:  Better to go out that way, doing what he loved most, out on a ride, over quickly and gently, than in a hospital for 6 weeks, living on tubes and machines (the way my father passed).   Better even, than the way Gleno died (if I recall correctly, passing when he and another rider lost it going into a corner, i.e. quick but traumatic, not at all gentle).

I hope the man's life was as good as his passing.   God blessings on his family.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1

I always enjoyed being around Ed.  He never seemed to be at a loss of ways to give me a hard time to which I tried to return.

He would be the first in line to help anyone, or more often,  take charge of fixing the problem while others stood around and talked about fixing it.

He is and will be missed!

Thanks for posting, but very sad news.  He and I were admins at the same time and I always found him thoughtful and independent, both qualities I admire.  I only met him at the UN in Wisconsin, and in person was the same.  

Wow, what a shock. One of the most knowledgeable folks around here and that's saying a lot.

Always willing to help. Always willing to share info.

A big loss for our community.

• Like 1

Ugh, so sorry to hear this. I'll miss him.

I think I first met him at my first Torrey in 2012. My brother and I were heading back to Torrey after riding sweeper madness. On a straight chunk of road between Bicknell and Torrey, I saw a distant motorcycle headlight in my mirrors. A short while later, that light was a lot closer. Soon after, some guy on a Ducati Monster passed us like we were standing still. Back in Torrey, I found Eddd, the pilot of the Monster, and started the first of many conversations about bikes, life and whatever.

A pic of Ed on a dual sport ride out of Torrey. Posey Lake?

15401446436_06ea94422a_c.jpg.5adfe1e106ca707e4287924131426b98.jpg

RIP Ed.

Yeah, what a shock and terrible loss! I knew him online only, and regret to say I don't believe I ever had the pleasure of meeting him in person. My heart goes out to all in this community who knew him as a close friend or shared rides with him. 

A tragic loss to this whole community, no doubt. 

5 hours ago, C_Williams said:

Very Sad to hear about this0.jpg.f47e78898eafd1319ef52051d998bf2a.jpg

Sad news :( 

I didn’t know Edddddd well, but he and I talked from time to time on here and I often enjoyed his posts; in fact, I bought a bunch of his used underwear several years ago and still wear it on longer rides (no, seriously). Scrolling down this thread, I was planning to dig up and post that pic (I think I took it!) from Torrey (fall 2019?). A great sense of humor and genuinely friendly. 

Godspeed

Ed attended most of the Texas tech days.  He was a giver and a kind man.   This photo from 11 years ago will be how I'll remember Ed - on his back, helping a fellow rider learn about how to work on their bike. 

Cheers to you Ed!

IMG_0168.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Ed was one of my closest friends. We talked every couple days for many years. I once mentioned that I was opening a new store and had some construction issues in San Antonio. I think he started packing his tools while we were still on the phone. He was there the next day and didn't leave until the store was open. Since then I had to be careful not to tell him when I was behind on a project or could use some help because he would drop everything to be there. Since his passing I have now twice picked up my phone to call him about something only to realize he would never answer again. There is a hole in my life that can never be filled. I will not be the same. 

RIP 

• Like 11
  • Sad 4
11 hours ago, Whip said:

Since his passing I have now twice picked up my phone to call him about something only to realize he would never answer again. There is a hole in my life that can never be filled. I will not be the same. 

RIP 

Hang in there, buddy.  I'd like to say that you've got a lot of friends on this forum, to cheer you up.  However, there are few friends who are like Eddd apparently was, i.e. it sounds like he was one of a kind.

Regrets, best wishes, and hope some more road time with other good friends starts to fill that gap for you, at least a bit.

This is indeed sad news. 

Eddd was a very special person to this community. His company was enjoyed, his insight and dry sense of humor were unsurpassed. 

One such story that vividly comes to mind was his description of Ramona Days a few years ago which made most laugh. His bantering with Todd (greydude) never grew old.

RIP :ohboy:We'll miss you!

I'm in shock. I met Eddd at a Fall Torrey many, many years ago. As I got to know him better I began to realize that, in a sense, Eddd showed his affinity for people by giving them a hard time/teasing them about something. With me, it was the way I kept my bikes so clean. He'd walk up to me after a day's ride and chide me for having so many bugs on the windscreen, etc. Here's Eddd and another member at the '18 South Dakota rally, his Triumph is to the left of my Duc:

IMG_2077.JPG

I only met Ed once at Whip’s place during the Salida UN. Short conversation was all but yeah I got the sense he was a helpful character.

Now this won’t make it any easier to his close friends but think about it this way. He wasn’t sick in bed diagnosed with something terminal. He was out ripping it up on his atv in some beautiful setting I’m guessing! :yes: 

Sad as it is, that’s not a bad way to leave Mother Earth.

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1

Whip, you may feel like there’s a hole now but for having such a friend you are more whole. It’s rare to find friendships like that. RIP Ed. 

On 11/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, Whip said:

Ed was one of my closest friends. We talked every couple days for many years. I once mentioned that I was opening a new store and had some construction issues in San Antonio. I think he started packing his tools while we were still on the phone. He was there the next day and didn't leave until the store was open. Since then I had to be careful not to tell him when I was behind on a project or could use some help because he would drop everything to be there. Since his passing I have now twice picked up my phone to call him about something only to realize he would never answer again. There is a hole in my life that can never be filled. I will not be the same. 

RIP 

His siblings appreciate the kind words.  We will miss him as well. We always had to be on our game or he would remind us of our shortcomings.

image.thumb.jpg.a0a4cf7268c5e57be5b4dc155f5da782.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Edsbrother said:

His siblings appreciate the kind words.  We will miss him as well. We always had to be on our game or he would remind us of our shortcomings.

image.thumb.jpg.a0a4cf7268c5e57be5b4dc155f5da782.jpg

Great picture.

• Smile 1

Eddd , reveling us with stories at Availa Beach …….always entertaining, liked to give me crap about my “antique “  bike.
As said before leaves a big hole with his passing, but went out doing what he loved

A class guy, you will be missed

Don J

4C742AF8-965E-4A46-98C7-EA794631702A.jpeg

• Like 4

When I first got the news on Monday, I just couldn't believe it.   I've talked to Eddd lots over the years.  At Torreys, UnRallys and DVD.  We had also exchanged some messages regarding controversial posts (and people) on the board.  

As a fellow curmudgeon, Eddd set the bar pretty high.  And I mean that in a good way  :classic_biggrin:  

He can't be replaced, and will always be missed.  

Mike Cassidy

• Like 2

Don't get here much anymore. But here for one reason. Paying respect to a great guy, Edd.

RIP bud, see you on the other side. I'll always remember your dry wit, and warm brotherhood.

MB.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just getting back on the board after a long absence.  Very sorry to hear of Edd’s passing. Sincere condolences to his family from Georgi and myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 12:24 PM, Scott9999 said:

I've been on this forum, lurking and otherwise since about 2006.  I've "met" many here virtually, but not in person (never went on any forum rides, did one tech day in SoCal, but that's about it).   Didn't know Ed, but remember his posts.  Hesitant to comment on the man, since so many were his friends, and I'm but a stranger.  (Don't even know how old he was, but many "bmwrt.com vet's" here seem to be my age (mid 60's) or older)

My first thought:  Better to go out that way, doing what he loved most, out on a ride, over quickly and gently, than in a hospital for 6 weeks, living on tubes and machines (the way my father passed).   Better even, than the way Gleno died (if I recall correctly, passing when he and another rider lost it going into a corner, i.e. quick but traumatic, not at all gentle).

I hope the man's life was as good as his passing.   God blessings on his family.

For the record, Gleno was coming home from a bike club meeting in Las Vegas when a lady in a van pulled out from a side street.  His bike left barely a skid mark.  It was over in an instant.

And Gleno, like Eddd and many others on this board, was always there to help his fellow man.  In one instance in which I was involved with Eddd, I was on my way from SoCal to Colorado and would catch the Torrey gathering on my way back.  I stopped at Eddd's house north of St. George, UT and we went to breakfast.  It was threatening rain and while my gear was waterproof, I wasn't sure that my gloves were.  Without blinking he said, "Here, take these," and handed me his Aerostich 3-finger rain gloves.  "I'll get them back from you in Torrey."  Didn't even have to ask him.  I know it was a small gesture, but the rain came as did a freezing cold front.  For about 200 miles, those gloves saved my fingers.  Whatever the size of the gift, Eddd's heart was always there for his fellow man.  Many of us remember Eddd's involvement in the attempted rescue of a Gold Wing Rider whose friends on a GW forum had mentioned him missing.  Eddd got on the radio, organized people, rallied friends, and eventually he helped find the guy who unfortunately had gone over a cliff and passed away.  However, it would have taken many more days if not weeks to locate the bike and the body if it wasn't for Eddd and his efforts.

And then there was Whip's new store in Salida.  As Whip has explained, you didn't have to ask Eddd twice, and often not even once.  He was just there for you.

Always.

RIP young man.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We're sure going to miss Ed. He was one of a kind.

A member here posted several years ago about an HES problem he was having on his 1100RT, and Ed rode into SoCal from UT just to help him out.  He knew that bike inside and out.  His technical knowledge was amazing.

This last Torrey I was having some electrical problems on my RT and some here thought a new battery was in order, so Ed volunteered the use of his truck to make the 50mi trip to Richfield.  I thought to myself:  Ed, YOU DA MAN!

RIP my friend.

IMG_0006forweb.thumb.jpg.2f3247ccff1f88ec23fa5d0d721d9ea0.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...

I’m in shock. Just rode up to the 2022 Ramona Days and mentioned “where’s Eddd “

I couldn’t believe what I heard.

Since my first Torrey in 2008, plus many Death Valley and North meets South… Eddd was always there. I always found time to converse with him and pick his brain. I once stopped by his home in Hurricane so he could help with my low oil concern. He was ready and waiting. Such an amazing helpful and selfless guy. I’m very sad he has passed and will miss him. One of those guys you don’t forget. A life well played.

gods speed sir Ed.

• Like 7
  • Plus 1 1