IGNORED

Another bump in the road of life.

Bud

My right leg has been sometimes painful and sometimes not. When it is, I can not put my full weight on it. Went to my DR last Wed, X ray Thursday, results Fri. The steel shaft in my right leg, which is 1/2 of my hip replacement, has become loose. Looking like I will need a hip replacement/replacement which the DR's call a "revision". Means at least 6 weeks laid up with surgery, rehab etc. No driving for 8 weeks. One of my boating friends told me I was literally "falling apart", pun intended.

Not sure how this will affect next years riding. 

My best friend gave me great advice when I retired: Go when you can so when you can't go you won't say "I wish I had". Took that advice to heart and he was so right.

But even if......:  Living a life of gratitude for what we do have makes these events bearable.

Don't put off anything that is important to you.

Tell those you love and who love you how much they mean to you. They DON'T KNOW if you don't tell.

Every day is a gift and we never know when it will be our last.

Ride Well, Ride Often.

With warmest regards to ALL of my BMWST family.

• Like 11

Bud,

Sorry to hear about your pain, and the uncertainty that the diagnosis/prognosis is causing you.  On the other hand, thanks for passing along the advice you received.  I have recently retired, and will try to keep those points in mind.

Best wishes.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that!

Ugh, curious how long those aftermarket parts lasted you? 

My OEM hip is starting to create issues. I have hip resurfacing on the way..Among its features is "easier revision". 

5 hours ago, Bud said:

Tell those you love and who love you how much they mean to you. They DON'T KNOW if you don't tell.

Ride Well, Ride Often.

Best to you while dealing with the pain, surgery, and rehab.

What you are saying per quote above is so very true. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words. The discouraging part is that the hip was replaced in 2018, only 3 years ago. As you can imagine, I have a lot of questions for the ortho guy tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that it will be "sometimes that happens" variety of BS but I have to ask.

" I have hip resurfacing on the way..Among its features is "easier revision".  Not sure what hip resurfacing is but good luck when you have it done.

As the members here continue to age, health problems will happen more frequently. Wish it were different and wish I didn't have genes for osteoarthritis which took out both my hip and my shoulder. But it does about as much wishing for that as wishing I could catch Bernie. 

:3:

• Like 2

Hope it goes well Bud, keep hoping I’ll catch up with you on the road someday.  If you should happen to catch Bernie hurry to the nearest convenience store and buy a lottery ticket because the planets and heaven have aligned themselves in your favor. 

• Like 2

Bud ~ I am sorry you are going through this ~ Again. Anyone I have known said doing the therapy is the most important thing you can do after the surgery. It is tough to do, but life is much better after it is over.  You just have to keep working out.  Now you will have teh time to engage in the spirited debates here!! :5590:  Get well real soon, attitude is just as important , stay positive.  Good luck

• Like 1

HIP, HIP, HOORAY! 

The original radiologist's report was wrong, nothing wrong with my implant.

Ortho guy said most likely pinched nerve.

Never so happy for something to be wrong.

Sorry for the false alarm and thanks for your concern.

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, Bud said:

nothing wrong

Congrats on that report....suspect you will sleep better tonight.  What if any treatment will they do now?

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Congrats on that report....suspect you will sleep better tonight.  What if any treatment will they do now?

I will see my DR on Monday morning to figure that out!

2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

If you're still carrying your wallet in your hip pocket, start carrying it in your front pocket.  AMHIK.

A legitimate issue.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:07 PM, Lowndes said:

If you're still carrying your wallet in your hip pocket, start carrying it in your front pocket.  AMHIK.

Have carried it in my front pocket for almost 40 years. :18:

On 11/15/2021 at 2:24 PM, Bud said:

My right leg has been sometimes painful and sometimes not. When it is, I can not put my full weight on it. Went to my DR last Wed, X ray Thursday, results Fri. The steel shaft in my right leg, which is 1/2 of my hip replacement, has become loose. Looking like I will need a hip replacement/replacement which the DR's call a "revision". Means at least 6 weeks laid up with surgery, rehab etc. No driving for 8 weeks. One of my boating friends told me I was literally "falling apart", pun intended.

Not sure how this will affect next years riding. 

My best friend gave me great advice when I retired: Go when you can so when you can't go you won't say "I wish I had". Took that advice to heart and he was so right.

But even if......:  Living a life of gratitude for what we do have makes these events bearable.

Ride Well, Ride Often.

I'm sorry for you woes...hips....I was scheduled for a hip replacement May 6th of this year. 

Sept 7th 2020 I was hit by a truck that ran a stop sign. I was on a 1200 Bandit...17 broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken collar bone, broken finger and a fractured right hip. They put three screws in my hip but the fracture was "non-union"..not healing...May 6th I was to go in..but a week before I got cold feet...the prospect of not riding all summer, was something I couldn't consider. So we put it off until the fall...well wouldn't you know it, my hip started to heal. 

I go in Dec 9th to get the pins removed....I put on 12,000 miles on my bikes this year....I have lots of big plans for next year....if this accident has taught me anything, it's that life can change in a instant....I'm not sitting back waiting for it to take me out again. 

Hope things get better for you...cheers 

• Like 5

Wow, you are lucky to be alive let alone riding again. Wonderful that you hip healed on it's own. Much better than having surgery again.

Are you fully recovered or do you have some permanent damage?

Best of luck.

Things will get better over time. I'm a firm believer that attitude counts a lot and currently my attitude is gratitude for all that I still can do every day! 

• Like 2

I have worked my butt off since the accident. I have gone to over 400 Health care appointments since the accident. 
right now I go to physio three times a week and work out on my own twice a week. Hand therapy twice a week and massage twice a month. My motorcycle insurance pays for it all.. and of course our Heath care here. I have one leg slightly shorter that the other. But I just bought another dual sport to ride off road. I’ll never be the same again. Ironically I was in the best shape of my life when I got took out. The week before I was dead lifting 385lbs... doctors said it helped being in good shape. 
lucky for me I have a very flexible career. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
On 11/16/2021 at 6:50 AM, Bud said:

" I have hip resurfacing on the way..Among its features is "easier revision".  Not sure what hip resurfacing is but good luck when you have it done.

image.png.97c58182b570bf3ad810d88a38e0b8b8.png

Resurfacing on the left of the pict. They don't cut away as much bone, so later they can cut that bone away. The bearing surface is larger as well, so no restrictions on activity. 

Glad to hear you don't need a revision. 3yr does seem WAY too soon, unless you have one of those desmodromic hips... 

• Haha 1