IGNORED

Could the Jack Reacher books be any more predictable?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Started to read the last novel only to find the girl doesn't drive up in a convertible while Reacher is hitchhiking along, but is pretending to be injured in an accident.  Just couldn't get past it.

The formula is so trite, a computer could write the novels, changing the names and locales.

Lots of authors work the same way, because the formula pays. Lee handed off the "fill in the variables" duty to his brother Andrew a while back.  And loaned the use of his name and formula to Dan Ames, Scott Blade, Diane Capri, and Jude Hardin to create spin-offs. (Reportedly, he considers David Baldacci's John Puller series to be a rip-off of the Reacher formula.) 

He has a reported net worth of $50 million. Other folks do the work, he sticks his name on the cover and collects millions more. Not much incentive to come up with a new idea.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
56 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Have you read the Gray Man series?

I have not but will check it out.  Currently re-reading Lawrence Block's "Matt Scudder" series.  The stories are dated, e.g. (use pay phones), but the characters interesting and Block has a sense of humor I appreciate.  Thanks.

It pisses me off when an author I enjoy decides to incorporate a political screed - something that happened often during DT's reign.  John Le Carre, Grishom and some others wandered off the post in that direction including Daniel Silva in his Gabriel Allon series.

John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Lots of authors work the same way, because the formula pays. Lee handed off the "fill in the variables" duty to his brother Andrew a while back.  And loaned the use of his name and formula to Dan Ames, Scott Blade, Diane Capri, and Jude Hardin to create spin-offs. (Reportedly, he considers David Baldacci's John Puller series to be a rip-off of the Reacher formula.) 

He has a reported net worth of $50 million. Other folks do the work, he sticks his name on the cover and collects millions more. Not much incentive to come up with a new idea.

Yep.  In an interview I heard he was asked why he continued the predictable Reacher line.  He honestly replied, "Because readers buy the books".

Clancy's been dead a long time and he's still writing, too.

22 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Clancy's been dead a long time and he's still writing, too.

Stieg Larsson too

John Ranalletta
31 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Stieg Larsson too

I was into the Larsen books early in the series but thought authors played out the string when Lagercrantz took over the writing.

I especially enjoyed Alex Berenson's "John Wells" series

image.png.e2706846e3416182354b31934fc74d2a.png

Fredrick Forsyth's "Avenger" is a terrific read. 

51WatamXW1L._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

Also, the John Jakes trilogy North & South.  I thought were good reads, although I ended up reading them out of order 'cause the libarry didn't have the second book on hand.  Ended up reading book two several years after.  First and third were read in 1989, second book, 1991.

Also, a single book, "Once an Eagle", excellent, excellent read!!!

John Ranalletta
15 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Have you read the Margaret Truman books?

I did many, many years ago, but do remember the few I read, were good.

Have not.  Looking forward to 22 hrs of windshield time next week.  Unfortunately, the Truman books aren't available in audio format.

There are many authors I enjoy inc. Korya, Iles, Mike Lawson, et al.  Always looking for more. 

BTW, have you noticed how many mystery/thriller novels on the NYT bestseller list are by women authors.  Have wondered if more women are reading the genres and/or more men are.  Personally, I've not found many to my liking (how's that for subconscious bias). 

8 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

(how's that for subconscious bias). 

I don't think that's it. I've found that female authors stress different things in their writing, things that men may not feel are important and therefore lose interest. That's just me though......:java:

John Ranalletta
47 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

I don't think that's it. I've found that female authors stress different things in their writing, things that men may not feel are important and therefore lose interest. That's just me though......:java:

You mean to say men and women are different.  Man, that's counter trend thinking. :5150:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

The last two Reacher books seem more like a caricature of Reacher than anything else.  I agree with the thought that once he had a "co-author" (I didn't know Andrew was his brother; I though it might be his son) it went down hill.  I was disappointed with The Sentinel and the latest, Better Off Dead, may be the last one I'll get.

I used to enjoy reading Tony Hillerman's series (Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee) but when he died and his daughter (?) Anne took over I felt the same way,  The characters became more a caricature than "real".

I found Sentinel to be very disappointing, and assigned that to the co-writer factor.

Earlier, I lost a lot of faith in Lee Child when he let Tom Cruise purchase the movie rights to his stories if he (Cruise) could play Reacher.  The physical description of Reacher is completely incompatible with Cruise, but Child managed to justify it, when the rest of the world could see it was just for the money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 5:00 PM, John Ranalletta said:

New in Feb.  Jack Reacher flick only this time the actor doesn't need lifts.

safe_image.php?w=642&h=334&url=https%3A%

Link didn't work for me.  But I did hear that Amazon Prime will have the new Reacher starting Feb 4.  This time the actor looks more suitably like the character...

More info here: Jack Reacher trailer banishes memories of Tom Cruise on Amazon Prime Video - CNET  (hopefully that link will work)

The videos will be worth watching now, knowing Reacher looks a tad more realistic than that other actor.  :dontknow:     

Still waiting on Prime's season 3 for Jack Ryan.  Oh, yeah.

10 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

The videos will be worth watching now, knowing Reacher looks a tad more realistic than that other actor.  :dontknow:     

Still waiting on Prime's season 3 for Jack Ryan.  Oh, yeah.

What's the fascination with the description of the book.  Plenty liberties get taken from making a movie.

For the Game of Thrones character,...Daenery's was supposed to be bald (per the books), yet, her looks took nothing away from the storylines.

As for realistic, Bruce Lee was 'bout 5'7", Chuck Norris, depending on the site you look up, 5'8"-5'10", Stallone 5'8"-5'10", yet their height or "realistic" characters are not in question.  'memba, Stallone fought Lungren 6'5",........so there's that too.

Very rarely do books get all the aspects right and if they hack a foot off a character, if the actor can play the part, and make it "seem" acceptable, I'm good.

John Ranalletta

Just started reading Don Winslow's Neal Carey Mystery Series (audiobooks from local library).  Narrated by Joe Barrett.  Smart, funny, hero doesn't always win. 

image.png.eea8590ddd86c19802f7402c9928fbfd.png

• 3 weeks later...
John Ranalletta

If you're a John Grisham fan as I am, "The Judge's List" is a pretty good story; however, read the novel and skip the audio book.  The reader's pace is agonizingly slow throughout.  Exasperating.

412ymSAmj1L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

fourteenfour

Regardless of Cruise's height being an issue he does play the role very well.  That Amazon trailer leaves a lot to be desired, hopefully they are just showing off the campy bits and the rest is not nearly as bad.

As for predictable... I used to read Remo William's books when I was younger, really wished it was a series on TV and considering the flailing about for content the streaming services do I can only hope; though to be honest I hope for someone like HBO to get it and not Netflix

• 1 year later...
John Ranalletta

I see the publishers of the Reacher audiobooks finally dropped Scott Brick, the over-emoting narrator.  Maybe they're "listenable" again.

image.png.2ec795898076f7cd84393a551b0edd57.png

• 8 months later...
On 11/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, lkraus said:

Congratulations on your acceptance to UC Berkeley's MEng program in Transportation Engineering! What a thrilling turn of events from the MIT rejection. Life truly has a way of surprising us when we least expect it. Your resilience and positive attitude shine through – from the ambitious MIT application to the smile on your face as you boarded the flight to London. It's a testament to the unpredictable, wonderful journey of life. As someone passionate about writing, your story is not just an academic achievement but a narrative of determination and embracing opportunities. Wishing you an amazing academic adventure at UC Berkeley! If you ever feel like sharing your experiences, consider weaving them into a compelling essay, perhaps even exploring how your journey parallels the unpredictability of life. For tips on crafting a stellar nursing essay, check out this helpful guide: how to write a nursing essay https://essaypro.com/blog/nursing-essay. Happy writing and best of luck on your academic endeavors!

Thanks for the information!