IGNORED

Heat shrink tape

Skywagon

I bought a roll of heat shrink tape from Amazon.  I've always wanted to try it for wires that are still connected and can't get shrink tubing over.  It came yesterday.  Save your money.  It neither shrinks or adheres to anything using a heat gun or a flame.  It just lays flat.  If you keep applying heat it disintegrates.

1 inch x 180 feet Black Heat Shrink Tape"Non Adhesive"

Edited by Skywagon
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I bought a roll of heat shrink tape from Amazon.  I've always wanted to try it for wires that are still connected and can't get shrink tubing over.  It came yesterday.  Save your money.  It neither shrinks or adheres to anything using a heat gun or a flame.  It just lays flat.  If you keep applying heat it disintegrates.

1 inch x 180 feet Black Heat Shrink Tape"Non Adhesive"

I use this 3M exclusively where shrink tube doesn't work.  I've used it on trailer hitch wiring exposed to the elements.  Once it's wrapped and sticks to itself for a while the only way to remove it is to cut it off.  It's especially effective when you stretch it during application - the tape thins out, covers more area and makes for a smaller wire bundle.

Insulating Electrical Tape: Moisture-Resistant, 3M™, Scotch®, 2228, Rubber, 2 in x 10 ft, 10 PK

Thanks John...I'll give it a try.  I just tried the stuff I listed again.  Nope..does absolutely nothing.  Key for me is it has to be waterproof not water resistant.  I wrap wires on a dock that gets a lot of salt spray and sometimes goes under water.

John Ranalletta
24 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks John...I'll give it a try.  I just tried the stuff I listed again.  Nope..does absolutely nothing.  Key for me is it has to be waterproof not water resistant.  I wrap wires on a dock that gets a lot of salt spray and sometimes goes under water.

Just tried a test.  Wrapped a small piece around an old screwdriver and hit it with a small, lighter-type blowtorch.  It seems to seal though wires will always have the crease where they are joined.  As a last resort, I'd use this tape and some liquid rubber tape. 

The Rustoleum Leak Seal looks interesting but I've no experience with it.

image.png.478f5fa15add6d789773e7816fc7cbda.pngRust-Oleum LeakSeal Self-Fusing Silicone Tape

IMG_8272.JPG

IMG_8271.JPG

I ordered some "marine shrink tape with adhesive" last week, but have yet to test it on anything. I'll give it a go this evening and report back.

Here is what I've used for years.  I was turned onto it when I installed antennas on towers.  It provided the protection needed in harsh and hard to access locations.  We always wrapped the Scotch 70 with layers of Scotch Super 33+ electrical tape, the best vinyl electrical tape available.  

20211109_133920.jpg

Whelp - I did rewire a tail light on my bike trailer last night, but since I soldered the wires, I was able to sue standard shrink tape. No test of the stuff I got. But soon. . .

Looking at this closer now, I'm not sure it's going to work as a 'wrap on' shrink tape? That's what I was looking for, and may have started clicking on other options - ending with this.

I don't have it here at the house, it's at the shop. Tomorrow I'll head over and just do a test shrink and see if in fact you can use it on a assembled wire by wrapping it on.

Thanks I’ll wait until you post back. I’m not looking for cheap… looking for great wrap around waterproof for intact wiring. Not sue it exist so thought this board might know. On the boating website I’m on.. no help. They all say cut wires. Duh 

John Ranalletta
44 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Looking at this closer now, I'm not sure it's going to work as a 'wrap on' shrink tape? That's what I was looking for, and may have started clicking on other options - ending with this.

I don't have it here at the house, it's at the shop. Tomorrow I'll head over and just do a test shrink and see if in fact you can use it on a assembled wire by wrapping it on.

I think the photo showed shrink tubes.  I've tried but failed in the past to slice them and shrink around wiring.  Some have an adhesive coating inside so that may help.

This is the "self-fusing" tape I've benn using for 3-4 years with very good results on trailer wiring and such.  I was skeptical at first and wrapped some around a screwdriver just like John did in above pics.  For a while you can easily remove or reposition the tape but once it sits for a day, it becomes one piece, still just as flexible, but you'll have to cut it apart.  If you stretch it slightly while applying it around wire, screwdriver, or pipe, it still has the same elastic-tight strength, but you have to hold it until it cures with a clamp or zip tie.  Seems to be very weather and UV resistant.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWRO744/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John Ranalletta
7 hours ago, Lowndes said:

This is the "self-fusing" tape I've benn using for 3-4 years with very good results on trailer wiring and such.  I was skeptical at first and wrapped some around a screwdriver just like John did in above pics.  For a while you can easily remove or reposition the tape but once it sits for a day, it becomes one piece, still just as flexible, but you'll have to cut it apart.  If you stretch it slightly while applying it around wire, screwdriver, or pipe, it still has the same elastic-tight strength, but you have to hold it until it cures with a clamp or zip tie.  Seems to be very weather and UV resistant.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWRO744/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think you'll find this tape very similar in sealing characteristics to the 3M.  I've used both successfully.  I recently added a trailer hitch to my 335ix.  The taillight wiring is hidden in body panels necessitating drilling through the sheet metal behind the taillight assembly that is exposed to rain runoff.  I used the 3M, layering two strands to capture the wiring and seal the 3/4" hole.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Used self-fusing on rocket motor harnesses for additional thermal protection.  Have it on the RT in several locations and it does not appear to have any aging issues.  Non-silicone materials might otherwise harden.

For me it's:

3M Scotch 33+ for insulating elecrical connections

3M Scotch 23 for self fusing moisture protection or as mentioned the silicone version 70

3M Scotch 1755 Friction tape for outer wrap mechanical protection (abrasions, cuts (think firewall, etc) Something I haven't seen mentioned here, it's the stuff you cuss at when trying to get into a wire harness under the hood to make a tap.

And 3M Scotchkote if real weather protection is desired.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_LB/p/d/v000260989/

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/937488O/3m-rubber-mastic-specialty-tape-application-guide-lr-print.pdf

Terry  

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
On 11/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, eddd said:

Here is what I've used for years.  I was turned onto it when I installed antennas on towers.  It provided the protection needed in harsh and hard to access locations.  We always wrapped the Scotch 70 with layers of Scotch Super 33+ electrical tape, the best vinyl electrical tape available.  

20211109_133920.jpg

Thanks Ed!

The Air Force equivalent originated from the F4 and was called ...  Orange for engines. Black everywhere else.
Harbor Products F4 Self-Fusing Silicone Tape from SkyGeek.com 

Whelp..... The former IndyCar electrical engineer at the shop (who was soldering and programming a bunch of boards when I came to see him today) recommends Raychem NR 1 tape. He says the stretch tape breaks down over time. 

The supply store on Gasoline Alley was out of it, but will get a roll next week (from England) for me. The engineer says it wasn't cheap, which I assumed meant it was $10-15.

I thinks it going to be more like $100!

Yikes.

My friend's company builds electronic components that have to withstand all manor of environmental exposures, challenges, punishment and abuse. So I'm sure it's worth it to them to use this tape when the need arises.

But for mere mortals like me, probably not so much. I think I'll pass on the tape!

1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

Yikes.

My friend's company builds electronic components that have to withstand all manor of environmental exposures, challenges, punishment and abuse. So I'm sure it's worth it to them to use this tape when the need arises.

But for mere mortals like me, probably not so much. I think I'll pass on the tape!

WHAT!!??  You don't think "all manor of environmental exposures, challenges, punishment and abuse." includes flooding river crossings and mostly subsonic mountain road riding??  

• Haha 2

Actually, I'm going to get the roll. These old 80's engine harnesses we're working on can use this stuff. We did redo one fuel injection harness, so it would present cleanly, now having this option may save us from doing that again.

Looks like my cost will be $52 per roll. That's an easier pill to swallow. No idea when it's coming yet, but it's in stock in England and this supplier get a shipment from them every week. I'll report back when it arrives.

Indy Dave...be careful with that stuff.  It sounds so powerful I would hate for your wife to have to call 911 to free your hands up.  Anxious to hear how it works.

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

The tape came in about 2 weeks ago. Turns out coming from England took longer than they thought. I don't know if they were waiting for a larger order or what. The place that sells this tape has all kinds of HD electrical connector stuff used in professional racing, boating, etc.

That said  -  I haven't tried the tape yet, as I went ahead and cleaned up the tail wiring on the RT with solider. However, I will have a use for the tape (I think) later this week.

20211221_202826.thumb.jpg.32d6627c050f89acf6a00db9110d0b2f.jpg

20211221_202854.thumb.jpg.a524373c2753980603815f3ebbf3b3fe.jpg

20211221_202857.thumb.jpg.1b05353073408b472c9447a3ac0c52ee.jpg

20211221_202938.thumb.jpg.f7825a8fcceac031b7f290c69ce80350.jpg

I've been using a hair straightner for about a year to shrink heat shrink
works great
it heats up in ten seconds
It shrinks the tubing way faster than a hair dryer
it doesn't get hot enough to scorch the tubing or curl it
working in tight spaces or wiring directly onto the bike is alot easier.
and nothing catches on fire.  They cost about 12 bucks. get one with aluminum heat surfaces

IMG_9992.JPG