IGNORED

Wheel Chock

Skywagon

Question...I am thinking about getting something like this to park my bike on.  Picture is illustrative...not zero'd in on a brand.I don't want to permanently mount it on the garage floor.  Do you know if you leave these just stand alone are the sufficient enough to hold the bike upright?  Thanks,

image.png.1262cde04b68083e6bd6aa0e75062fa4.png

This is what I have 

https://www.amazon.com/Baxley-Sport-Chock-Black-Crinkle/dp/B01MR2E5QD/ref=asc_df_B01MR2E5QD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142020868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6559296762872853545&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006595&hvtargid=pla-568805580853&psc=1

I am going to buy another before winter sets in. Quality made. I think it is worth every penny. 

The current one is 8 years old and it is still like new

It is stand alone and it has held everything with no wobble up to and including my RoadKing. Never even put the side stand down

• Plus 1 1

Thanks Tracer...I will take a look at them this weekend.  It would really hep me get in and out if it will hold the bike without having to secure it to the floor.

I have used several different brands for the trailer, rv, back of pickup. I would never trust the ones without a substantial "T" shape size as the only support in a garage. I have one with about a 3' crossbar across the front. Used it to tie down the old RT and Strom in the toy hauler we had then. Worked well, but no means was it the only support for the bike. Gave you time to get off and start securing before it fell over....

BUT....none I have used would work very well unsecured. If you have not used them, the force to get them into and out of the pocket it makes when the tire goes into place is going to want to move the chock assembly. I had to tie down the big one with straps and the small ones I had bolted into place. Even then the force to get them out, when properly adjusted, is fairly high. 

Not sure what would be gained in a garage over using a center stand. Other than the distance you lose backing up onto the center stand. 

• Plus 1 1

I use a Baxley as well. The design squeezes the front tire as it closes, this makes it very secure in the garage but it can get a little tough to pull the bike out after long term storage. I usually rotate the front tire back a bit by hand to break the stiction, then it pulls out easily. I like that it doesn't need to be anchored to the garage floor, and I can store my bikes tighter together during winter which takes less space. YMMV

2 hours ago, realshelby said:

Other than the distance you lose backing up onto the center stand. 

Thanks all. I have use them on MC lifts before but not on the ground. That’s why I asked about stand alone

Terry you nailed it. I’m trying to regain the distance lost putting it on the center stand

What caused this issue was having the garage, workbench, and cabinets rebuilt after it flooded last year when the freeze broke the pipes. The guy who made and installed the cabinets measured a little wrong preventing me from backing the bike in. Now I have to pull in as far as I can go and center stand it. It interferes with my car door. I didn’t want to go through ripping all that stuff out and making him do it again. Not sure he would have anyway. Work was great, just wrong measurement

On 11/4/2021 at 3:29 PM, TracerBullet said:

This is what I have 

https://www.amazon.com/Baxley-Sport-Chock-Black-Crinkle/dp/B01MR2E5QD/ref=asc_df_B01MR2E5QD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142020868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6559296762872853545&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006595&hvtargid=pla-568805580853&psc=1

I am going to buy another before winter sets in. Quality made. I think it is worth every penny. 

The current one is 8 years old and it is still like new

It is stand alone and it has held everything with no wobble up to and including my RoadKing. Never even put the side stand down

I have a version of the Baxley chock and ride up onto it and get off.  It's on my hydraulic lift, so I then tie the bike down before lifting it. 

My Baxley worked well for the wethead GS but I haven't deployed it yet for the RT.  Those two have different front wheel sizes so I may have to investigate the Baxley's adjustability feature to accommodate the RT's 17in. wheel.

17 hours ago, elkroeger said:

I have one like that, had it on my utility trailer, will hold the bike up if bolted down.

It's a $10 donation to the board and you pay shipping if anyone wants it. 

David, you could bolt it to a 1/2 sheet of 3/4 plywood and it'd hold decently.  Don't know if I'd trust it as a permanent solution, kinda fra-gee-lay......I think this design was mainly for just holding the thing in place on a trailer, not to be the primary holderupper