IGNORED

Attn K bike owners - Bringing extra coolant?

Bud

In another thread about riding in the mountains, it was suggested K bike owners should bring extra coolant.

Since I have never ridden Lucy in the mountains, I'm wondering about the necessity of bringing along a jug of pre-mixed coolant.

Anyone with experience like to comment?

Paul Mihalka

I'd say absolutely not. The cooling system with the pressure cap will not loose coolant. I had my K75 in mountains and was on top of Mt. Evans (14,000 ft) with my K1100LT without any problems.

In another thread about riding in the mountains, it was suggested K bike owners should bring extra coolant.

Since I have never ridden Lucy in the mountains, I'm wondering about the necessity of bringing along a jug of pre-mixed coolant.

Anyone with experience like to comment?

Bud,

I personally know of many K-bike owners and many that have done the annual Colorado Beemers Club 100k Ft ride (which takes us over 10 or so passes with a total of 100,000 vertical feet). I'm not aware of any special considerations for carrying extra coolant. I wouldn't concern myself with this, and even if it were the case, there'll be LOTS of support help if you did need it.

Regards,

Mike O

Thanks Mike.

I've looked at the CO BMW site and the 100K looks like a lot of fun.

Bud

ghaverkamp

We had some overheating in Cody, but I don't think any of us actually lost any coolant.

For the most part, when we were moving, we were fine. I (and I know BrianT did as well) had some problems when we were stuck cruising at 15 or 20 for a mile or two of dusty road construction behind a pilot car. That was the first time either of us had seen our coolant temp light come on.

I don't know that there's much to do about that but to keep moving. I suppose the mixture could be changed, but I don't know.

I've been way out west with both an '89 K100RS and an '01 K1200RS. While I was about to wilt at times, the bike had absolutely no issues with heat or losing coolant.

YMMV thumbsup.gif

I'd say absolutely not. The cooling system with the pressure cap will not loose coolant. I had my K75 in mountains and was on top of Mt. Evans (14,000 ft) with my K1100LT without any problems.

I can back that up. My old K100RT never loses any coolant, no matter whether I ride it in the cold or really hot temperatures. It simply makes no difference. I never have to add any coolant between coolant changes.

Bob.

If you own a motorcycle that requires you to carry coolant in case you run into hot weather at altitude - SELL IT! dopeslap.gif

Shouldn't be a problem. My '92 K75s has never had a problem at altitude even with the Hi altitude plug plugged in which leans out the fuel ratio just a bit to go along with the thinner air. I've been up close to 10k feet without a problem.

cool.gif

tHE fIRST tIME I took my 03 to Colorful Colorado I lost it all ... but, via the help of Colorado Randy & GFloyd & Mikie Cortez & ColoSprings BMW it was an ill-pressurized coolant cap...wrong thing from the factory and showed itself whilest way up high by Aspen. Yes, it was something that I thought about since, but a distant memory - haven't lost a drop since the switched cap.

Make sure your cap is the proper one - no problems.

tHE fIRST tIME I took my 03 to Colorful Colorado I lost it all ... but, via the help of Colorado Randy & GFloyd & Mikie Cortez & ColoSprings BMW it was an ill-pressurized coolant cap...wrong thing from the factory and showed itself whilest way up high by Aspen. Yes, it was something that I thought about since, but a distant memory - haven't lost a drop since the switched cap.

Make sure your cap is the proper one - no problems.

I bought the bike used. How could I check to see if it is the correct one?

If you own a motorcycle that requires you to carry coolant in case you run into hot weather at altitude - SELL IT! dopeslap.gif

You mean that if a sealed cooling system isn't sealed, then this is a problem? confused.gif

Who knew!

Bob.

Vas ist der "COOLANT" schtuphs?

Seriously, I have a K75 with 56,000 miles on it, it's been from sea level to 12,000+ with never an issue.

My two oilheads might make it up to five or six bars on a really hot day at altitude, but I've never had an issue with them either.

Let's go try it out!

Doug

Archived