IGNORED

My newly acquired R1200RT

Geekmaster

Just got this 2014 R1200RT today and enjoyed a nice fall ride.  It'll get some farkles (like crash bars) over the winter and a new set of rubber come spring.  It has just under 12k miles, so I'll be doing the 12k service this winter too.  It was a private sale for a decent price, otherwise I would have insisted on the 12k service.

Coming from an '09 Yamaha FZ6R, this is one nice bike.  Riding on a very cool fall day is now pleasurable, and I don't need to worry about the severe wind noise.

I've been learning a lot about this bike over the past few weeks, and I'm sure there's much more to learn.

R1200T-1.jpg

• Like 7

Nice looking bike. I've been riding BMW twins since 1971. I like the tug and grunt of the horizontal twin. Had some other bikes but this was always my go to ride, especially if I needed to rack up a couple of 500 mile days comfortably.

Good luck with your new ride.

MichiganBob

Nice bike.  Cool looking helmet.  Welcome to the forum.  

In case you are interested, Boxflyer has a few videos on Farkles and 12 K service.   They are very helpful.

Cheers,

Thanks!  Yes, I watched quite a few of Boxflyer's videos before I bought the bike.  Believe me, I'll probably have them playing on my iPad as I do the service.  Not sure how important it is to check the cam timing, thought it's not specified for the 12k service?  I've tried to find the special tools, but haven't been able to find them online (and I hear they're very expensive).

Max BMW can get you the alignment tool for the cams.  Search parts for  83302327796 ALIGNMENT JIG $38.08   

In one of Boxflyer's videos, he shows you a DIY cam chain tensioner that you can put together.   He may be able to give you the part number for the top dead center indicator tool.  I cannot find that part number at the moment.

Thanks, @wbw6cos.  I was able to find the other part number on Boxflyer's video on Youtube.  Even with the DIY cam chain tensioner, I wonder if it would be more cost effective to have the cam timing checked by the dealer, since all the tools would cost over $300, and presumably it wouldn't need to be done very often.  I'll do the rest of the 12k service and check with the Max BMW in my area to see what they would charge to check the cam timing.

1 hour ago, Geekmaster said:

Just got this 2014 R1200RT today and enjoyed a nice fall ride.  It'll get some farkles (like crash bars) over the winter and a new set of rubber come spring.  It has just under 12k miles, so I'll be doing the 12k service this winter too.  It was a private sale for a decent price, otherwise I would have insisted on the 12k service.

Coming from an '09 Yamaha FZ6R, this is one nice bike.  Riding on a very cool fall day is now pleasurable, and I don't need to worry about the severe wind noise.

I've been learning a lot about this bike over the past few weeks, and I'm sure there's much more to learn.

R1200T-1.jpg

Looks like two lucky kids live in the neighborhood now! A cool clubhouse with some nice wheels parked outside! :) And of course the RT, the nicest sport touring motorcycles known to man! :yes: Which Max dealership do you live near?

Well, that's not actually my neighborhood.  I was visiting a friend and showing off my new toy!  In looking at the Max BMW locations, I guess I'm not really "near" any one of them.  The closest is the one in NH, but still quite a drive.  The closest BMW dealer to me is Wagner in Worcester, MA.  Anyone know anything about their service?

Nice ride.

My new (2018) RT was just serviced, but I already know that I'm going to end up doing the valves and cam adjustments, along with the rest of the service myself.  First, the closest dealer is not at all close.  Second, no one tunes my RT's the way I turn them (usually over and over and over again until I get them right  🤣🤣😒).  But if Boxflyer is still selling his alternate for one of those tools (1 of 3, I think it's the $300 one), I'll be contacting him next summer.   You'll spend a mint on farkles and riding gear anyhow, so you might as well just write off $500 as "gone" for service and be done with it, IMHO.

(If I end up buying all three, I'll be loaning them out pretty freely, for maybe $30 and the cost of shipping, to trusted forum users.  Loaning expensive tools is nuts, but using them once a year, and storing them forever, is even more nuts.  These things seem pretty indestructible, anyways.)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Geek,

We must not live too far apart.

If you are interested, I can do the cam timing and valve check for you over the winter.

Feel free to contact me.

Brad

• Like 2
On 11/13/2021 at 7:36 AM, Boxflyer said:

Hello Geek,

We must not live too far apart.

If you are interested, I can do the cam timing and valve check for you over the winter.

Feel free to contact me.

Brad

Thanks, Brad.  That sounds great!  I sent you a private message.