IGNORED

Electric scooter battery swapping network launched by Gogoro in China

MotoNews

1 hour ago, MotoNews said:
Image: 
Gogoro electric scooter battery swapping technology

This could genuinely be the most sensible solution for electric scooter & motorcycle commuting, swapping out batteries at the Gogoro network.

View the full article

Wonderful, I get to pay them money to allow me to swap out my relatively new battery with only 10 duty cycles for one with 300 duty cycles.

Or maybe in my favor,  I get to swap out my well used 500 duty cycle battery that will barely hold 3/4 of a charge for someone else's 10 duty cycle like-new battery. 

I wonder if we can get them to do tires along with batteries?

• Plus 1 1
15 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Wonderful, I get to pay them money to allow me to swap out my relatively new battery with only 10 duty cycles for one with 300 duty cycles.

Or maybe in my favor,  I get to swap out my well used 500 duty cycle battery that will barely hold 3/4 of a charge for someone else's 10 duty cycle like-new battery. 

I wonder if we can get them to do tires along with batteries?

This system isn’t designed/intended for the likes of you or I (nor likely any board member here) but rather for the urban masses that lack the ability or desire to maintain (charge) their vehicles battery. 

18 minutes ago, TSConver said:

No different than propane tanks.

Morning TSConver

Propane tank swapping is slightly different as no matter how ratty the tank looks on the outside you should still end up with the same amount of usable fuel inside. (I still hate to get back a worse looking beat up tank that looks worse than I turned in)

When it comes to battery swapping you could easily get back a battery with less fuel holding capacity than you turned in.  

• Plus 1 1
6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning TSConver

Propane tank swapping is slightly different as no matter how ratty the tank looks on the outside you should still end up with the same amount of usable fuel inside. (I still hate to get back a worse looking beat up tank that looks worse than I turned in)

When it comes to battery swapping you could easily get back a battery with less fuel holding capacity than you turned in.  

Then swap it again.  Just like people swap expired propane tanks out for full ones.  One would think that the charging station would not let bad batteries back out.  I know my charging station for tool batteries shows when a battery has failed.  Would think the stations would do the same and notify the station owner to retrieve it.

54 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Then swap it again.  Just like people swap expired propane tanks out for full ones.  One would think that the charging station would not let bad batteries back out.  I know my charging station for tool batteries shows when a battery has failed.  Would think the stations would do the same and notify the station owner to retrieve it.

Afternoon TSConve

Then swap it again__

That's kind of my point, its sounds easy unless your battery quits on the freeway in traffic or quits 12 miles from the battery swap business,  or packs it in part way home at night. Then not very convenient or quick.  

I have a number of very smart battery chargers & just like your power tool charger will easily tell you if you have a bad battery. What they can't tell me is if the battery  only holds enough power for one quick start or holds enough power for 5 minutes of intense starter usage. 

No doubt a battery swap center will re-cycle bad batteries, it's the 75 mile batteries with many full & partial run-downs & re-charges that will now only go 35 miles before total run-down that I don't want to end up with.