IGNORED

Some people like to ride and some people are just damn crazy

fourteenfour

From over on the Harley forums Some people like to ride.  Chris Hopper is the name of the rider, has a 2021 Road Glide and is doing 100,000 miles in 100 days. He is part of the Hoka Hey riders... 

he is riding for charity but I lost the link when it got deleted off the HD forums

Well, I have to hand it to the guy, if you follow the spotwalla link it looks like he’s still going. I’m apparently a wimp, even though I’ve run several marathons (and been married over 45 years!)

• Haha 1

I have a real motorcycle question about this feat. A quick summary for those that haven't read the article, this guy is doing 100,000 miles in 100 days, so basically 100 iron butts in a row.

He is doing it on a new Harley RoadGlide, and I believe using Harley dealers along the way for service, fluid changes, tires and brakes. He is on pace after 84 days or more from what I can see.

Now the question: could this be done on a BMW? If so, would it be as trouble free as this run seems to be? Harley has a lot of dealers across the country, a lot of places for him to get serviced and most likely have ready access to supplies, especially the tires. Not sure how well the BMW would do as far as that aspect.

The other thought was that Harleys in general are pretty easy to service, especially no valve adjustments, no real major service necessary until something breaks. Clutches are easily replaced.

So having no real downtime for a day or two while services performed, could a BMW do this without much more effort?

I’m friends with a guy who has accomplished many endurance riding feats including a full month of 1000 mile days - he’s clearly nuts but I don’t think he’s even this nuts. Wouldn’t matter to me if the bike could do it, because I sure could not!

The thread linked at the top shows him as on schedule/mileage and that day 100 should be November 4th. 

I believe this is his spotwalla

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/a656-38decd3-5b5d/view#

when I first looked, and I’d even read another post saying this, I was waiting for it to load his route thinking I was just looking at the interstate map; nope - that’s his track. I am a little disappointed to see that he did not pass the interstate junction I can see from my living room window, but I guess there’s still time - maybe he’ll come by this week. 

I find this really...I mean REALLY kind of hard to believe anybody could actually physically do this let alone be dumb enough.  Kind of sounds to me like just more internet nonsense and their surely is enough of that to go around on the good old WWW.

1 hour ago, JamesW said:

I find this really...I mean REALLY kind of hard to believe anybody could actually physically do this let alone be dumb enough.  Kind of sounds to me like just more internet nonsense and their surely is enough of that to go around on the good old WWW.

Gotta remember, he's on a real traveler's motorcycle - not one of those quirky garage queen BMWs like you like ;)

On 10/30/2021 at 8:54 AM, szurszewski said:

Gotta remember, he's on a real traveler's motorcycle - not one of those quirky garage queen BMWs like you like ;)

lol..lol..Good point!  That said I still think this is BS.  I mean 1K miles/day for 100 days on anything? More internet non-sense. You would have to be really bored I mean really.:dopeslap:

Do you realize that 100K miles is 16+ trips by interstate across  this country east to west and back again?  I don't think that is humanly possible and you would have to do it virtually all on interstate highways.  You would at the very least be ready for the funny farm for even trying such a crazy thing.  Can you imagine the toll such a thing, if it were even possible, would take on your body?  

I would go so far as to say trying such a thing on an HD would only add to the pain not to say I'm any expert on HD motorcycles having never ridden one and with no plans to ever do so I might add.  My back screams in pain at the very thought.

I'm done, finally.:ohboy:

I hope it's real and I hope he makes it....what a feat.  From what I've discovered over time most 1000 mile rides are roughly 20 hours.  For 100 days he will be living on ~ 4 hours rest per day and dealing with 20 hours of noise.  Harley should comp him a new bike if he makes it. I think the guy is from Texas...

Looks like he’s currently holed up at the Quality Inn on the north end of Springfield , Mo. right next door to the Whole Hog Cafe : )

Seems pretty legit reading the link on HDF. Getting service at Houston HD every 10,000 miles, 2 to 4 hours for each service.  He's at 95,000 miles, ends Nov. 4th in Galveston at a rally there. Getting close.

The galveston event is the Lone Star Rally.  I've been to most of them, but will only ride down and pass through this year.  I suspect the 1% will be unvaxed and at my age....can't take that risk...but I will ride through and see the event.  He is being sponsored by Republic Harley.  See link.  Daniel on that page sold me my last 2 new BMW's before he headed to Harley.  

Staff | Republic Harley-Davidson® | Stafford Texas (republichd.com)

I ride for fun and to relax and I don't see riding 100000 miles in 100 days either fun or relaxing but to each his own. I rode 4000 miles in 14 days last July averaging 350 + miles a day and I was beat up pretty good by the end of my trip but had a blast. Hope to do it again next summer but I'll have to add a in couple more rest days. 

• 4 weeks later...