IGNORED

RT engine quit while riding, won't start

austin98rt

2005 RT with 84K miles.  Out on an afternoon ride and the engine quit like I had run out of gas (still had 2+ gallons).  Pulled over and tried to restart, and the engine did start and ran for 2-3 seconds, then quit.  Did this a few more times before I gave up, got a ride home to get my trailer.  When I got back to the bike, it would turn over but would no longer start at all, even for a couple seconds.  Got it home and thought it might be the fuel pump controller, so I jumped it and tried again.  No dice.  The battery is only a few weeks old, but I checked the voltage and it's good, and no problem turning over.  An experienced friend felt sure it was probably the fuel pump, so I replaced it, but still won't start.  Tried starting in neutral, with the clutch in and the throttle wide open, but no change.  24k service was done at 72k miles.  What else can I check?

8 minutes ago, austin98rt said:

2005 RT with 84K miles.  Out on an afternoon ride and the engine quit like I had run out of gas (still had 2+ gallons).  Pulled over and tried to restart, and the engine did start and ran for 2-3 seconds, then quit.  Did this a few more times before I gave up, got a ride home to get my trailer.  When I got back to the bike, it would turn over but would no longer start at all, even for a couple seconds.  Got it home and thought it might be the fuel pump controller, so I jumped it and tried again.  No dice.  The battery is only a few weeks old, but I checked the voltage and it's good, and no problem turning over.  An experienced friend felt sure it was probably the fuel pump, so I replaced it, but still won't start.  Tried starting in neutral, with the clutch in and the throttle wide open, but no change.  24k service was done at 72k miles.  What else can I check?

Afternoon  austin98rt

Lots of possibilities, you need to eliminate as mush as possible_

Are you getting a spark on all 4 spark plugs?  (this needs to be verified) 

Are you getting fuel injector pulses while cranking?  (a NOID light works best of this)  again should be verified. 

Are you getting fuel flow from the fuel return hose? This will tell you if you are getting enough fuel flow at enough pressure?  Should get about 2 seconds of return flow at key on then full time flow during cranking ( or full time flow wit FPC by-pass B+ in place.