IGNORED

Cam Head Heavy Clutch Lever Action

Our Gee

Morning all,

My 2011 Cam Head RT which I bought used about a year ago has only covered 15,000 verified miles from new and has a full BMW Dealer service history. I have always found the Clutch Lever action to be a bit on the heavy side but accepted this as the norm. However my neighbour has a 2013 Cam Head with about 35,000 miles and when comparing his Clutch Lever action to my own I find his to be a lot lighter.

Not long after I obtained the bike (from a non BMW Dealer) I suspected that an incorrect Clutch Fluid may have been used during a pre-delivery service. Therefore I have changed the Fluid for the correct BMW Hyspin Oil. I also changed the Master Cylinder Seals (KTM seals fit). This has not made any difference. Changing the Seal in the Slave Cylinder would involve removing the Rear Shock so I am rather reluctant to attempt this unless absolutely necessary.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Our Gee said:

Morning all,

My 2011 Cam Head RT which I bought used about a year ago has only covered 15,000 verified miles from new and has a full BMW Dealer service history. I have always found the Clutch Lever action to be a bit on the heavy side but accepted this as the norm. However my neighbour has a 2013 Cam Head with about 35,000 miles and when comparing his Clutch Lever action to my own I find his to be a lot lighter.

Not long after I obtained the bike (from a non BMW Dealer) I suspected that an incorrect Clutch Fluid may have been used during a pre-delivery service. Therefore I have changed the Fluid for the correct BMW Hyspin Oil. I also changed the Master Cylinder Seals (KTM seals fit). This has not made any difference. Changing the Seal in the Slave Cylinder would involve removing the Rear Shock so I am rather reluctant to attempt this unless absolutely necessary.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Morning   Our Gee

That is a difficult one to diagnose over the internet, are both you & your neighbor using the same setting on clutch lever position?

It could be a draggy slave cylinder piston (swelled seals) but if the clutch action is smooth (not jerky or hesitant) then that possibility is low.  Does the clutch re-engage quickly & smoothly with good timing on the shifts?

It could just be due to a different stack-up of clutch spring & clutch parts between motorcycles. 

On the removed seals from your master cylinder, did they appear to swell up & enlarge after removal & exposer to ambient air?  This might tell you something about "if" the fluid was contaminated.  

Thanks for the reply dirtrider.

Clutch lever settings are the same, The Clutch engagement is very smooth and positive, in fact the Gear Shift action is the best of the three RT,s I have owned. The seals I removed from the Master Cylinder looked normal and I would have no worries if I had to re-fit them. I was thinking that maybe the Clutch Diaphragm Spring looses some tension with mileage and that's why my neighbours has a lighter lever action ?. Of course I could let my local BMW Dealer have a feel and see what they think.

1 hour ago, Our Gee said:

I was thinking that maybe the Clutch Diaphragm Spring looses some tension with mileage and that's why my neighbours has a lighter lever action ?. Of course I could let my local BMW Dealer have a feel and see what they think.

Morning   Our Gee

The spring itself shouldn't lose either rate or load but severely over heating the clutch pack with a lot of clutch slipping could change that.

But as the clutch disk wears the clutch spring works from a more relaxed position so it could get slightly softer as the clutch disk wears.

Good idea to have your BMW dealer tec feel it but I can almost tell you now what they will tell you ("it feels OK to me"). But you never know, you might get a tec that takes it seriously.