IGNORED

2005 r1200rt front brake issue

burlingtonbeemer

burlingtonbeemer

Hello,  just picked up a used 2005 rt.  when I hit the brake lever coming off a higher speed the front brake seems to pulse, I kind of a get a bump bump bump..

the seller said he just started happening recently.  He changed brake pads, but that did not remedy the situation.  any thoughts?  He said one brake pad was worn 

more than the other three.  not sure where to start, and I was hoping to do it on my own vs. taking to a dealer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

John

1 hour ago, burlingtonbeemer said:

Hello,  just picked up a used 2005 rt.  when I hit the brake lever coming off a higher speed the front brake seems to pulse, I kind of a get a bump bump bump..

the seller said he just started happening recently.  He changed brake pads, but that did not remedy the situation.  any thoughts?  He said one brake pad was worn 

more than the other three.  not sure where to start, and I was hoping to do it on my own vs. taking to a dealer.

John

Afternoon John

Lots of thoughts, if you can believe the last owner that it JUST STARTED & the motorcycle sat for quite a while (or sat for while  after being wet or washed) then a good chance your brake rotors have oxidation spots or staining .  You usually can't feel the staining with your fingers & in some cases can't even see it with your eyes. Those stained areas have a different friction coefficient than the other parts of the rotor so every time a brake pad passes over those stained areas under braking you get a pulse feeling. 

There were also some brake rotor attachment updates, brake rotor rivet retro-fit kits,  & even front wheel updates on the 2005 1200RT due to brake pulsation issues.  On some the wheel was not machined correctly at the brake rotor attachment points. 

You can  t-r-y cleaning the front brake rotors using red Scotch pads & brake clean but if the rotor staining is severe enough that sometimes isn't enough to remove the ingrained staining. 

If the brake rotors are good without stained spots then you can remove the front rotors & give them a good work-over with very fine sand paper then Scotch pads. Then set up a dial indicator to read on the front wheel  brake rotor mounting bosses to see if there is excess run-out on those.  (long ago before BMW offered improved front wheels on the 2005 bikes I re-worked a few by hand until the rotor mounting bosses ran true to wheel center). 

Check your messages on this site as I sent you a link to an old  BMW 2005rt brake judder info bulletin. 

8 minutes ago, blalor said:

Any chance the judder thing applies to '07s? I have a similar issue.

Morning  blalor

The wheel problem & rotor rivet kit doesn't apply to the 2007 1200RT but the possible rotor staining does apply. Also a bent brake rotor damaged during a new tire install is also a possibility. 

• Like 1
burlingtonbeemer

Dirt Rider wrote/.....There were also some brake rotor attachment updates, brake rotor rivet retro-fit kits,  & even front wheel updates on the 2005 1200RT due to brake pulsation issues.  On some the wheel was not machined correctly at the brake rotor attachment points. 

But this just started happening 500 miles ago.  would this wheel / and or rivet issue just come about after 15 years?

John

12 minutes ago, burlingtonbeemer said:

Dirt Rider wrote/.....There were also some brake rotor attachment updates, brake rotor rivet retro-fit kits,  & even front wheel updates on the 2005 1200RT due to brake pulsation issues.  On some the wheel was not machined correctly at the brake rotor attachment points. 

But this just started happening 500 miles ago.  would this wheel / and or rivet issue just come about after 15 years?

John

Afternoon John

I must have missed the "started 500 miles ago" in the original posting.

Anything else about the problem you need to tell us? 

Tell us if the problem was there when you picked the bike up or did it start some miles after picking the motorcycle up?

The brake rotor attachment updates, brake rotor rivet retro-fit kits, & wheel update probably didn't just start but they are (were) contributors) so there could still be some involvement. 

Did that motorcycle sit for an extended period before you bought it??????????????

burlingtonbeemer

the buyer told me it did not sit for very long.  he did ride a new bike, but he claims that he rode this one as well.  He thought it might be a piston stuck on the caliper.  I ordered all things needed to flush brakes, and change out all fluids from Beemer boneyard, but they have not come yet. I did clean the rotors while on bike.. that didn't result in any change.   

I will have time soon to get into all of this, but I thought I would check in with others...

If I take apart calipers will that risk doing anything to the abs, or anything to be aware of there?

John

22 minutes ago, burlingtonbeemer said:

the buyer told me it did not sit for very long.  he did ride a new bike, but he claims that he rode this one as well.  He thought it might be a piston stuck on the caliper.  I ordered all things needed to flush brakes, and change out all fluids from Beemer boneyard, but they have not come yet. I did clean the rotors while on bike.. that didn't result in any change.   

I will have time soon to get into all of this, but I thought I would check in with others...

If I take apart calipers will that risk doing anything to the abs, or anything to be aware of there?

John

Afternoon John

When it comes to brake judder I think you are chasing ghosts if you are flushing or  looking for stuck caliper piston.

Your problem is a brake rotor disturbance so you will eventually find your problem related to the brake rotor or rotors or their attachment to the wheel.  

On 10/13/2021 at 12:27 PM, burlingtonbeemer said:

John

My 2007 RT had one front pad worn more than the other three. It turned out that one of the brake pucks on the caliper with the thinner pad was sticking and the caliper needed to be rebuilt. After that, all fours wore about the same.

burlingtonbeemer
On 10/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, Dave_in_TX said:

My 2007 RT had one front pad worn more than the other three. It turned out that one of the brake pucks on the caliper with the thinner pad was sticking and the caliper needed to be rebuilt. After that, all fours wore about the same.

did you have brake pulsing or judder prior to rebuilding caliper?  Or did you only notice the brake pad wear?

12 hours ago, burlingtonbeemer said:

did you have brake pulsing or judder prior to rebuilding caliper?  Or did you only notice the brake pad wear?

Pad wear was the only thing I noticed.