IGNORED

A Watermill, a Church and a Castle

Boffin

I had hoped to hook up with Steve1962 today for a ride but for various reasons that was not to be. So whilst Steve was looking at Rudges, I was about 150 miles north looking at old buildings.

First stop was a watermill in Sleaford. I had planned a short stop for a couple of exterior photographs. The mill was open and entry was free, so I thought a few interior shots as well. This led to a long and interesting conversation with the curator.

There has been a watermill on this spot since the 10th century. Some parts of the current building date to the 17th century, but the bulk of the fabric dates to the 18th century, with the mill machinery dating from the early 19th century. This was originally a Shire mill, with the farmers from the area bringing there corn to be milled here. The mill was owned by the local Lord and the running of the estate overseen by a lesser nobleman who carried the Saxon job-title of Reeve. The Shire Reeve was a combination policeman/tax collector/estate manager and over the years the name was contracted to Sheriff - as in the Sheriff of Nottingham - or Deadwood grin.gif.

The mill

DSCN4019.jpg

DSCN3996.jpg

DSCN3998.jpg

DSCN4012.jpg

Dscn4013.jpg

DSCN4016.jpg

gear2.jpg

millstone.jpg

One custom of millers over the centuries was to "Mark the mill" with their name or initials. This has aided the historians piece together the story of the mill over the years. These initials on the door post are dated 1763

Dscn4006.jpg

This chap was known as a drinker and liked to mill at night. He liked to dam the river to increase the head of water for the mill, often leading to unhappy townsfolk waking to flooded streets and houses. He did not last long.

Dscn4009.jpg

Moving on from the mill I headed towards Tattershall and its 15th century brick-built castle.

First a few pictures of the church - almost cathedral like in its style, size and airiness.

Dscn4021.jpg

Dscn4026.jpg

Dscn4027.jpg

Dscn4032.jpg

The adjacent almshouses, these were "social housing" awarded to the "deserving needy"

DSCN4023.jpg

Then on to the castle:

DSCN4044.jpg

Dscn4050.jpg

Dscn4049.jpg

It was around now that I got distracted by a delicious noise. I looked up and saw the City of Lincoln:

DSCN4035.jpg

I did not have a camera with a long lens so I did not get any decent shots. There was an air display taking place at the nearby RAF Coningsby. Also seen were a Spitfire and Hurricane of the Battle of Britain flight and a DC3 Dakota in D-Day markings. Glorious.

DSCN4042.jpg

DSCN4047.jpg

I then moved on to Coningsby Village to try a few vantage points I knew from my time in the RAF. These were alas being blocked off by RAF police, so I satisfied myself with a couple of shots of the church and its unique clock. Dating from the 17th century and with its face painted directly onto the stonework of the 15th century tower, at 16.5 feet in diameter it is the largest single handed clock in the world.

DSCN4052.jpg

Dscn4056.jpg

From here it was my intention to go to Boston, original home of the Pilgrim Fathers, but the heavens opened and I returned home. I shall visit Boston and Lincoln again before the summer is out. If you want a preview of Lincoln Cathedral, it was used in the movie "The Da Vinci Code" as a substitute for Westminster Abbey when the latter church declined to assist in the filming.

Thanks for reading,

Andy thumbsup.gif

I never cease to be fascinated by the history that literally surrounds you. We have "ghost towns" here 100 years old. You have active facilities 10 times that age! I love the carving of dates and such. Puts such a human touch to things. Thanks for posting. Lovely as always.

Maybe someday I'll post pictures from Orange County, CA. I hear they have buildings down there that are at least 20 years old!! eek.gif

Andy, Thanks for the great photos of the mill. When I was in the Netherlands last November I was fortunate enough to get a private tour of a restored working windmill in the Assen area. Regardless of whether its driven by wind or water, it is always fascinating to see the old wood and iron gear mechanisms that run the mill machinery.

Thanks once again for sharing your very interesting trips. A friend of mine's grandfather flew in the Battle of Britain. He told me he was glad to see the war end, because of the friends lost, however it was the only time he really lived. I found that strange as a young person.

Fantastic thumbsup.gif

If I wasn't certain that I'd kill myself trying to ride on the left side of the road I'd be planning a trip. frown.gif

pete

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I love the castle shots. Rumor has it that there are several castles here in the Pacific NW. I might have to go looking for them. cool.gif

Francois_Dumas

Thanks for the shot of the Dakota, first of all.... my favorite kind of plane (I was member of our Dutch Dakota Club for many years).

The castle is 'interesting'. When was that built? Can't be THAT old, can it? Using bricks, I mean?

The water mill is grand.. I love these old buildings, especially if their story is known!

Thanks for the trip Andy !

Andy,

Looks like you had a good ride out , but got beaten back by the weather inm the end [ which is what happened to me ].

Nice report and photos , here's hoping we can get that ride out sorted soon ........... depending on the weather [ british summertime eh ??]

Steve

Thanks for the shot of the Dakota, first of all.... my favorite kind of plane (I was member of our Dutch Dakota Club for many years).

The castle is 'interesting'. When was that built? Can't be THAT old, can it? Using bricks, I mean?

The water mill is grand.. I love these old buildings, especially if their story is known!

Thanks for the trip Andy !

I wish I could have got better shots of the aircraft francois.

Tattershall catle is interesting in many ways. First built in the 13th century from stone, most of the early defences are long gone. The keep shown in my pictures was built for Ralph, the third Baron Cromwell, Lord Treasurer to King Henry VI. It was built from 1433 to 1443 and is a superb example of medieval brickwork. At that time bricks were a relatively new form of building material (if we ignore the Romans - there knowledge was lost before this) and were used partly to give light and airy accomodation, if weak in a siege but mostly to proclaim the status of the owner. Accounts for the building still exist in the county archive and show that almost 1 million bricks were made for the structure - these would have been made either on -site or very nearby. Tatteshall passed to the Crown during the reighn of Edward IV and then in 16th nd 17th centuries to the Earls of Lincoln who eventually abandoned it as a residence, retiring to Lincoln.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Firefight911

Andy,

Thanks for the trip. Fascinating stuff there! If only the land, walls, brick, and wood could talk!

Loved the journey. Looking forward to the next one! clap.gif

Great pics there Andy, and another fine write up, you must own shares in Imageshack by now grin.gifgrin.gif

Sleaford is a very nice town, but that is the trouble nowadays, all the towns have a bypass, so we all miss the charm and character they have to offer...unless you detour..

Bank holiday next week-end, and I have to get 400 miles on the scoot before it's 12K service, so we are definately out. So I can feel a few RBR clues coming on. Now Steve/Andy, correct me if I am wrong, but a ride to Wales normally adds up to 400 SMILES grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks.

I'm visiting my son in Colorado and he has DSL so I can at last see the pics.

Great write up. Enjoyed it very much.

Great pics there Andy, and another fine write up, you must own shares in Imageshack by now grin.gifgrin.gif

Sleaford is a very nice town, but that is the trouble nowadays, all the towns have a bypass, so we all miss the charm and character they have to offer...unless you detour..

Bank holiday next week-end, and I have to get 400 miles on the scoot before it's 12K service, so we are definately out. So I can feel a few RBR clues coming on. Now Steve/Andy, correct me if I am wrong, but a ride to Wales normally adds up to 400 SMILES grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Count me in thumbsup.gif

I need to bag a few more RBR points and the camera needs a workout grin.gif

Andy

Archived