IGNORED

Exhaust manifolds blued differently

Tommy_Z

Hi all, first post.

I have a new-to-me '17 R1200RT and noticed the right-side manifold is much more blue than the left-side.  This would seem to indicate more heat, which I wonder means a leaner fuel mix.  But it runs great!  I suppose it could also mean just variation in the chrome plating.  Bike has 6800 miles.   Any thoughts?  Find something else to worry about?  Thanks

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

24 minutes ago, Tommy_Z said:

Hi all, first post.

I have a new-to-me '17 R1200RT and noticed the right-side manifold is much more blue than the left-side.  This would seem to indicate more heat, which I wonder means a leaner fuel mix.  But it runs great!  I suppose it could also mean just variation in the chrome plating.  Bike has 6800 miles.   Any thoughts?  Find something else to worry about?  Thanks

Evening Tommy_Z

Lots of reasons for the difference, could be an airflow difference, pipe might have been wiped off with something during last few oil changes, bike could have burned some oil on the L/H side during early life therefore coating/insulating the inside of the pipe, etc.

As far as running lean goes, it probably gets more exhaust heat in that area running a little rich but with o2 sensors for fueling control that isn't likely. 

You might clean the pipes then see if they color evenly after cleaning. 

Next spark plug change give it a good long high speed run before changing the plugs then see if they color about the same. 

Wow, that is a lot of difference in blue.  

Oh, and welcome to the forum.  I guess you will have to show off the less blue-ish part of that bike in some more photos.   :thumbsup:

If you do decide to polish them up ( I do mine pretty often as I like chrome vs brown), then try this blue magic stuff.  I put it on and use my cordless drill with a round buffing wheel.  It works pretty well.  Here is a picture.  I didn't buy it at WallyWorld.  Bought at auto supply.  WallyWorld is the picture I found.

Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream (7 oz.) - Walmart.com

The buffer I use is like the one on the far left in this picture.  You can buy them individually for a buck or two.

Aluminum Polishing Tool Kit - 14 Piece (harborfreight.com)

lawnchairboy

Welcome.   I think you should immediately ship the bike to me.   I promise to ride it hard and often until the pipes even out.   

😁

• Like 1
On 10/1/2021 at 6:54 PM, Rinkydink said:

My ‘17 are pretty much the same color. 12.5k miles. 

Welcome to the madness. 

1E9F49F8-A100-4603-A1B2-B099F5035320.jpeg

E74B0926-F877-463D-926A-7FA3EE9360DE.jpeg

Have you rubbed your pipes down? Those look nearly new!! 

6 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

Have you rubbed your pipes down? Those look nearly new!! 

No, I just ride it. I don’t even really wash it but once a year whether it needs it or not. 

Have you looked for things like intake leaks, mismatched or partially clogged injectors, injector connector not seated/connected properly or fully??

• Plus 1 1

Very clearly a different burn on that cylinder.  I would check plugs and that would get you to check the coils are on tight at the same time.  These things EATS plugs.

IMHO that is not a normal. 

However it could just be another of BMW's features where the platting is better on one header then the other?

• Plus 1 1