IGNORED

Riding in Colorado: Things to consider and be prepared for...

Tasker

I thought I would begin this thread about things to consider and be aware of while riding in Colorado, especially for those of you who will be making your first journey to this beautiful state.

Hopefully, those of you who have extensive experience in the area will chime in and give us your insights.

Here are some things that I have personally learned (don't ask eek.gif) during my trips out west:

Weather: It can and will change quickly, for better and for worse, so be prepared. Gunnison sits at 7,703' elevation. You will be riding below and above this elevation -- mostly above. Some of the passes can be as high as 12,000' and beyond. It is not uncommon to have sunshine and 80s, and rain and 50s, and snow and 30s, all during the same ride/day. Be prepared with the proper clothing.

Elevation/altitude: Anything above 4,000' can have a dramatic affect on how your body operates, so take time to acclimate yourself to the higher elevations. This usually can take a full day and longer. Be careful to not starve your body from oxygen or you can wind up with altitude sickness, which is not fun, at all. I've seen people using small, compact oxygen bottles to supplement their normal breathing. These bottles can easily be carried with you.

Don't run yourself out of gas: Riding in the west is nothing like riding in most other parts of the country. Here in the midwest, there are gas stops at every exit and at every intersection. Out west, it is not unusual to pass by several exits (lots of miles) and several towns without gas and food and water. My recommendation is to keep your tanks from running much below half or a quarter tank.

Again, don't ask! dopeslap.gifwink.gif

Another big warning: Colorado is friendly to motorcyclists. So friendly, in fact, that as you approach from the rear, they'll slow down and pull to the side (like they do in Texas and Arkansas). If you aren't prepared for this kindness (say, you grew up in New Jersey), you'll end up in their trunk! tongue.gif

I'll add a few:

1. There can be a lot of sand and gravel in the corners through the mountain passes.

2. Keep scanning for wildlife. It's there and it can be large. eek.gif

3. K-Bike owners, pack along some extra coolant. You may need some after a long climb at altitude.

4. Bring the sun screen for the back of your neck. You'll burn much faster at altitude.

5. Make a point to stay hydrated at altitude. You'll feel better and your energy will last longer.

6. Bring your HT if you are a HAM to use for an emergency back-up. You cannot completely rely on Cell service in the mountains, but you can usually shake hands with a local repeater.

7. X-band is still in use in some of the smaller CO communities.

I'll add a few:

1. There can be a lot of sand and gravel in the corners through the mountain passes.

2. Keep scanning for wildlife. It's there and it can be large. eek.gif

3. K-Bike owners, pack along some extra coolant. You may need some after a long climb at altitude.

4. Bring the sun screen for the back of your neck. You'll burn much faster at altitude.

5. Make a point to stay hydrated at altitude. You'll feel better and your energy will last longer.

6. Bring your HT if you are a HAM to use for an emergency back-up. You cannot completely rely on Cell service in the mountains, but you can usually shake hands with a local repeater.

7. X-band is still in use in some of the smaller CO communities.

First dumb question. Why would K bikes be needing extra coolant? Overheating? confused.gif

I only ask because I ride one. grin.gif

LEO'S use every kind of vehicle. Camaro, Mustang, Ford crusers, SUV's even pickup trucks. Bikes too where you don't expect it. Yes they stop bikes. Don't ask. grin.gif

US 50, 40 and especially just pass the turn from Telliride towards Rico up in the aspen groves. Again, don't ask.

Have fun thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif but do keep your detector on and if you get a hit out in the middle of nowhere just maybe believe it.

Also remember many of the cars and motorhomes you will pass in other than perfect circumstances will be from out of state and are already scared stiff ooo.gif of the roads so use care.

All this useless information comes from 23 years of riding in Colorado and I'm still learning.

I SHOULD BE IN TORREY RIGHT NOW dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I'll add a few:

Good points. Everyone should write these on the chalkboard 100 times before they depart for Gunnison. wink.gif

Regarding sand and gravel: Please pay particular attention after thundershowers, which happen almost daily in the high country. Even a short one can wash sand and gravel (or start bigger things sliding downhill) from the roadside into the road, particularly in banked corners. Yes, we have a few of those. Don't assume that the shower just washed the road clean for you -- the opposite may have happened.

2 things regarding hydration: 1) Hydration is a key part of warding off altitude sickness, which can strike anyone, regardless of their general health or physical condition. 2) Double whammy: with our low humidity, your perspiration can evaporate so quickly that you hardly notice, making it easy to forget about drinking. So just drink. Then drink some more. And, no, beer doesn't count. grin.gifdopeslap.gif

Paul_Burkett

Last year, while in Gunnison, the last week of August, it was 27 degrees at night, be ready for the possibility of cold nights outside. Bring your warm jammies.

Oh right... and these...

normal_Pulledover.jpg

Looks like it was just a "safety check" to see if everyone was legal. grin.gif

OTOH maybe the group decided they all needed to stop and have a chat. grin.gifgrin.gif

At any rate, look at the snow in the background. ATGATT including long johns!

Hi Bud. Just getting back in town and saw your note. The advice was passed onto me by a couple different folks on the K board. Apparently the slow (not moving much air), climb through the passes were overheating some of the late model K's and they were burping coolant.

Based on their advice I brought some coolant with me last year, on the way to CO in a REI bottle. My GT died on the way and I never made it.

When I moved to Colorado in '83 a waitresss in a high country restaurant responded to my question of "when does it snow" by saying "as late as June and as early as July". I have seen both. On the flip side I was happy I had my vented jacket and evaporative cooling vest last weekend. Layers are the key.

One more -

When you are riding as a group of three, and overtaking another group of three, you are permitted to pass on the right! tongue.gif

One more -

When you are riding as a group of three, and overtaking another group of three, you are permitted to pass on the right! tongue.gif

Depends, if they are on the inside line and you have to use the shoulder to pass then it is fine. grin.gifgrin.gif

PhillyFlash
One more -

Some people are just beggin for a black eye. grin.gif

It's amazing how fast a thread can get derailed tongue.gif. I guess folks have got the yips!

What Tasker said is so very true: be prepared for ANYTHING in the way of weather. There are heavy snow waarnings out right now for NW Wyoming/Yellowstone NP, highs in the 30's, lows below freezing, etc. Last week it was mid-80's up there.

Thunderstorms happen frequently at altitude, many with lots of lightning. You are fairly safe from lightning in a car, but NOT on a motorcycle! The storms can come on very very fast and drop a lot of rain and/or hail, sometimes snow. Many times there is nowhere to hide and wait it out, so you have to be paying attention and guage the weather so as to be prepared. The temperature can drop DRAMATICALLY following a thunderstorm - I have become hypothermic in August while bicycling and getting drenched by a sudden storm.

There's an espresso shop at the "Y" leading into Silverton, and the lady who runs it is married to a motorcycle policeman who patrols the roads between Durango, Silverton and Ouray. He rides a HD Road King and he's good on it. Don't ask how I know this. blush.gif

Riding at high elevation can be challenging, but it's also really FUN! thumbsup.gif

Hi Bud. Just getting back in town and saw your note. The advice was passed onto me by a couple different folks on the K board. Apparently the slow (not moving much air), climb through the passes were overheating some of the late model K's and they were burping coolant.

Based on their advice I brought some coolant with me last year, on the way to CO in a REI bottle. My GT died on the way and I never made it.

mY '03 kRS was losing coolant like it had a hole in it...only because the blinkin' rad.cap was the wrong one...it didn't show until I was in altitude - I think the extra coolant not needed, my take...YMMV

Archived