IGNORED

Onboard system voltage icon appears

longjohn

While traveling with a group in UT my on board system voltage icon appeared with the yellow exclamation triangle, so we pulled off in St George to take a look. @Rob Nowell suggested turning the wonder wheel to vehicle voltage and it fluctuated up and down while idling.  We turned the bike off and after commiserating a while about the battery, regulator and alternator I started it back up and the warning lights had gone off, so we continued on. The warning lights cycled off and on until we arrived in Torrey.

The next morning the vast group wisdom suggested a new battery would solve the problem so out came the battery, and off @C_Williams and I went in @eddd’s truck to get one. We installed it and I turned off the auxiliary headlights and radio and disconnected the nav6 and it seemed to solve the problem, but after riding for 45min the warning light appeared again when the vehicle voltage dropped below 11.9. . Eventually I learned that if I pulled in the clutch and let off the gas and coasted for 4-5sec the warning lights would go out and the voltage would climb back up, so that’s what I did for the rest of the trip. I’ll call the dealer today. I’m wondering what the normal vehicle voltage readout is while cruising down the road at highway speeds?  

edit:  bike is an 18 bought new in spring of 19 and battery manufacture date appeared to be spring 17.

edit 2:  old battery voltage tested 12.08 at dealer.  

I only get that alert on my 18 R12RT if I am using high beam, with my Clearwater driving lights on high and my electric jacket, gloves, grip and seat heater on. If I turn off the electric heaters and run the lights on low beam, my voltage readout at cruising speeds is 14-14.2 volts on the on-board display. 

• Like 1

In cruise 14+. I would check connections especially ground especially since intermittent. If alternator you aren’t going to like the cure. Hope warranty is still good if alternator. Good luck. Hope it’s simple

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

In cruise 14+. I would check connections especially ground especially since intermittent. If alternator you aren’t going to like the cure. Hope warranty is still good if alternator. Good luck. Hope it’s simple

Thanks. It’s intermittent but not what I would call randomly intermittent. I should make it to the dealer tomorrow. 

I dropped it off today and my salesman’s initial talk with maintenance indicated a bad alternator but we’ll see after they diagnose it. In the meantime they gave me this to ride. 

E58C2237-6067-4141-B0AB-DF15F63F8BAC.thumb.jpeg.5157256d967761431188497dc0db6a1e.jpeg

• Like 1

Is your bike under warranty?

If it is a stator is is silly expensive and the bike needs split in half.    If your under warranty your cool as nothing but time.  If your not then your looking at a few K to repair.

Yes next to cams and rocker arms this is my second biggest fear of owning a Wethead. 

Yes it’s under warranty. 

The salesman intimated that it’s not uncommon for the police bikes with higher mileage to have stator failures. Oy. 

edit:  I had high beams on, on the way to the dealer while lane splitting and that kept the voltage low. 

If it is the stator and they have to split the case, I would strongly consider paying the difference for a new alternator. I’m sure you have seen a post or two here about that. The last one I saw someone here was out $3500 to replace the alternator. Maybe they are using stator and alternator  synonymously

how do you like the KTM?

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

If it is the stator and they have to split the case, I would strongly consider paying the difference for a new alternator. I’m sure you have seen a post or two here about that. The last one I saw someone here was out $3500 to replace the alternator. Maybe they are using stator and alternator  synonymously

how do you like the KTM?

Morning Skywagon

The stator is the wire-wound part of the alternator, that is the part that fails. (usually one or two of the coils burns then turns black)

The other alternator part is the "rotor" (it spins around the stator), not much on the rotor to fail as that is a permanent magnet affair with not much to go wrong with it. 

DR… yes and I agree. I’ve replaced a lot of stators in my day. I’m more thinking new bearings/bushing and things the rotor rides in. Would a new alternator start a new warranty on that part and labor should it fail again?

30 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

DR… yes and I agree. I’ve replaced a lot of stators in my day. I’m more thinking new bearings/bushing and things the rotor rides in. Would a new alternator start a new warranty on that part and labor should it fail again?

Morning Skywagon

As a rule when a part is replaced under warranty that part & labor is only covered until end of the original motorcycle warranty period.

Now if some customer pay on the part is involved then you would need to have the BMW dealer explain the warranty coverage on the parts & labor. 

Not much to go wrong on the rotor as it is solid shaft mounted (not on bearings) but there is driven gear with free-wheeler attached but that then opens another expensive can of worms that warranty wouldn't cover as it isn't part of the charging system problem.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

how do you like the KTM?

I only have the ride home from the dealer to compare so far, but it seems to be very similar to a gsa. This ktm has a touratech seat which falls far short of a stock gsa seat, and I’ll try to lower the shift lever about an inch. A quick look online shows it has the same mechanism for shift lever adjustment as a Bmw. The bmw dash is much easier to read:  bigger brighter numbers. Hmmm maybe Bmw caters more to the older, visually challenged rider. :grin:

And the dealer says the stator is bad, only giving about a 2/3 charge. I might have it back in a couple of weeks. 29xxxmi. Oy. 

13 hours ago, longjohn said:

And the dealer says the stator is bad, only giving about a 2/3 charge. I might have it back in a couple of weeks. 29xxxmi. Oy. 

Warranty covers it, right?  I'm glad to hear the mystery is solved.

53 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

Warranty covers it, right?  I'm glad to hear the mystery is solved.

Yep it’s covered, but it is disappointing to say the least. 

Yes at 29K miles it is very disappointing to read.

All I can say is I am sorry for your troubles and one more notch that justifies getting rid of my GS before I get too many miles on it. 

Flog that KTM it may grow on you:27:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LAF said:

Yes at 29K miles it is very disappointing to read.

All I can say is I am sorry for your troubles and one more notch that justifies getting rid of my GS before I get too many miles on it. 

Flog that KTM it may grow on you:27:

It may justify getting an extended warranty too. Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The dealer called and the stator has been  repaired, and that since I have the tire-wheel-warranty, and my tires are very worn they would like to put a fresh set on for me. Ha ha!  YES!!!  

I’ll have to turn in the ktm 1290. 

18 hours ago, longjohn said:

The dealer called and the stator has been  repaired, and that since I have the tire-wheel-warranty, and my tires are very worn they would like to put a fresh set on for me. Ha ha!  YES!!!  

I’ll have to turn in the ktm 1290. 

Good news for you for sure!

New sneakers and all!

That sounds like a heck of a nice dealer. Good loaner bike, fixed the issue, and new tires. That’s how you attract and retain customers. Nice to see

5 hours ago, Skywagon said:

That sounds like a heck of a nice dealer. Good loaner bike, fixed the issue, and new tires. That’s how you attract and retain customers. Nice to see

I was even able to charge my last bike purchase, although Citibank wouldnt bump me up enough to cover it all, so I had to use additional cards. Yes, they take care of me.