IGNORED

Front wheel removal/ front axle tool?

keithb

Hi Guys

Several of you mentioned a website where you could purchase the tool to loosen the front axle with a 3/8" racket drive for about $15-$20. Please provide me with that address. Thanks in advance for your response.

aggieengineer

I use a Craftsman 5/8" spark plug socket with a 3/8" extension stuck in it from the wrong side. The top of the socket is six-sided, and fits perfectly in the axle. The extension sticking out the opposite end gives you something to turn with your ratchet. Make sense?

Sarmand

I think I got it. How long is the extension you use? From one side of the forks to the other is 9"

I made my own................

I bought two 14mm nuts. These are 22mm across the flats externally. I welded both of them, stacked one on top of the other, to the 'hex' part of a 3/8" drive 10mm hex bit. The result is a 22mm 'allen key' with a 3/8" drive. I carry a 3/8" drive sliding 'T' bar on the bike.

In addition to the axle tool and 'T' bar, I also carry the following tools:

3/8" drive T50 Torx bit (for rear wheel bolts)

3/8" drive T45 Torx bit (for front brake calipers and exhaust hanger bracket)

3/8" drive 15mm socket (for exhaust strap clamp bolt)

6mm Allen key (front spindle clamp bolt)

With the above gear in the standard tool pouch, at least I can now remove the front or rear wheel.

I agree with other posters - the standard 'toolkit' eek.gif is a joke, on such an expensive bike. Pennypinching.

aggieengineer

Keith, stick the extension into the spark plug socket from the opposite side you normally would. The extension occupies the space that the plug would. Now you've got the equivalent of a 22mm allen wrench by using the top of the spark plug socket. The extension length need only be adequate to extend out of the socket. It doesn't go through the axle. -Steve

If a picture will help, just let me know.

Tim

I originally made a tool for the front axle just like you did. My neighbor did it for me and it took more time to make it than I thought so I did not want to ask him again. The spark plug socket ended up being the wrong size and I took it back. So again, I went to the hardware store and bought a 15mm socket w 3/8" drive and 2-14mm nuts. Went down the street to a welder guy I know and he had all three parts welded and sanded in about 10 minutes (it is all about the right tools). Total cost of parts and fabrication of the "axle socket" was $12. The newest axle socket fit the opening perfectly. The first one I had made is a little loose for my liking but it works. I have everything in my "new tool kit" that you have including some zip ties, 3/8" small racket, electric tape, needle nose pliers w/cutter, straight/Phillips screwdrivers. I need to add the 6 mm Allen wrench and it will be done. I am guessig that I spent about $40 to be able to take off the wheels and remove the plastic. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice.

Keith

gettysburg

My wife ordered a MotionPro Axle tool and it didn't fit either of our bikes(RT and GS). I took the tool into a BMW dealer and it fit all but one of their display bikes.

I ordered the BMW tool and it fit our axles; but only after forcing it in and out a few times. The BMW tool is $15 dollars and requires a 22mm socket and wrench to use it.

James

I would recommend the 2 14mm nuts and socket that I used if you need another one in the future. The 2 nuts cost $1. The 15mm socket was $3.29. The welding charge was $5 and I gave him $7 so for about $12 and 20 minutes later I have my tool. Now I am off to Harbor Freight to buy the 6mm Allen wrench and I am done with my tool kit for now. I would have purchased the BMW tool but did not know the cost was a mere $15. So many of their "job specific tools" are outrageously priced, ie. brake bleed funnel tool. BMW tool cost is $160. I made one for $35.

Jim VonBaden

Use the backside of the 13/16" spark plug socket. I cut the end off it and use a standard socket. I did it through the axle the first time.

Jim cool.gif

gettysburg

I picked up the BMW tool($15.00) I ordered and it fit both my wife's and my bike. Although I did have to knock it in hard a few times into my axle before it would slip in and out.

Anyway, I think that any tool that actually measures 22mm will not fit my or my wife's font axle. The MotionPro tool wouldn't fit. The reverse and of a 13/16" spark-plug socket wouldn't fit.

Archived