IGNORED

A Bumbling Backroads Tale from FART '21

BamaJohn

UNSTITCHED AT AUNT BEE'S IN MOUNT AIRIE, SATURDAY 9/25/21

After a short ride in beautiful, blinding sunshine from Sparta to Mt Airy, we had breakfast at Aunt Bee's Restaurant, and were greeted by several locals (who were interested in 4 strangely-dressed foreigners).

But, after breakfast the bathroom stop presented a conundrum for me....my aero stitch roadcrafter pants' left leg zipper gave up, leaving my left leg exposed from waist to ankle, not to mention a gaping groin!  Fortunately, I was wearing grey boxers, which matched my grey 'stitch pants, but there was nothing worth seeing anyway.

What to do...what to do?

As you can see in the attached photo, no Alabama guy is without some duct tape, so, with a little help from a friend, I peeled off some lengths to wrap around the pants leg in several places and rode on.....drafty, but not a deal-killer!

As we rode along, one rider asked (over the comms) "what's the chill factor, John?"  I can't print my actual reply here, but let's leave it at "frost on the p'nuts!"

You can't make up this stuff folks......IMG_6123.JPG.98fad05a111131cf9536ea337f432226.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Which unfortunate soul had to apply the tape "up top"?

In an "emergency" si-chee-ashun like this, I don't think it really matters so long as the gear shift was in first and not sixth.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

In an "emergency" si-chee-ashun like this, I don't think it really matters so long as the gear shift was in first and not sixth.

Still, the fastest tape repair ever performed. Makes Nascar pitstop repair during a green flag look slow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Which unfortunate soul had to apply the tape "up top"?

Only me.....too delicate a maneuver for anyone else to handle!   :classic_blush:

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
  • 3 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 6:42 PM, BamaJohn said:

UNSTITCHED AT AUNT BEE'S IN MOUNT AIRIE, SATURDAY 9/25/21

After a short ride in beautiful, blinding sunshine from Sparta to Mt Airy, we had breakfast at Aunt Bee's Restaurant, and were greeted by several locals (who were interested in 4 strangely-dressed foreigners).

But, after breakfast the bathroom stop presented a conundrum for me....my aero stitch roadcrafter pants' left leg zipper gave up, leaving my left leg exposed from waist to ankle, not to mention a gaping groin!  Fortunately, I was wearing grey boxers, which matched my grey 'stitch pants, but there was nothing worth seeing anyway.

What to do...what to do?

As you can see in the attached photo, no Alabama guy is without some duct tape, so, with a little help from a friend, I peeled off some lengths to wrap around the pants leg in several places and rode on.....drafty, but not a deal-killer!

As we rode along, one rider asked (over the comms) "what's the chill factor, John?"  I can't print my actual reply here, but let's leave it at "frost on the p'nuts!"

You can't make up this stuff folks......IMG_6123.JPG.98fad05a111131cf9536ea337f432226.JPG

UPDATE: Jan 12, 2022:  After trying several times to salvage the "unstitched" 'stitch trousers, I gave up and sent them to Aerostitch to install a new main zipper in the left leg...you know, the one that goes from ankle to belt loops.  Yesterday, I received shipping notice that they are repaired and shipped back to me via FedX, so I should have them in hand by Friday.  Cost?...$120 plus $15 freight each way.  They should be good for another 50,000 miles!

I washed the trousers before sending them to Aerostitch, so now I wonder what I should use to renew their water-repellency?  What's in YOUR washroom?

(Disclaimer:  I"m not a member of the esteemed "Bumbling Backroads Riders", just used that term generically.). JB

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

UPDATE: Jan 12, 2022:  

I washed the trousers before sending them to Aerostitch, so now I wonder what I should use to renew their water-repellency?  What's in YOUR washroom?

(Disclaimer:  I"m not a member of the esteemed "Bumbling Backroads Riders", just used that term generically.). JB

I use Nikwax wash in waterproofing. But you can also use a spray on product from Nikwax. It gets applied to a wet garment.

If you can, call AeroStich and have them ship the product along with the pants.

Or you can find it at outdoor outfitter stores, like REI.

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

In the 12 years that I had my Darien jacket I renewed it with Nikwax just once but it made it good as new. I recommend that you get the hardshell duo like what is shown HERE

• Thanks 1
On 1/12/2022 at 12:53 PM, BamaJohn said:

Several more of these stories might qualify you for a nomination! We're a very accomplished group, after all.

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Lone_RT_rider
On 9/26/2021 at 8:32 PM, TEWKS said:

John, you just inspired me to try and save my aging Roadcrafter! :yes: :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.a54e13d77f9b5d07887a09888b1a721b.jpeg

This would be hilarious, if it didn't hit so VERY close to home!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1