IGNORED

2016 RT with 'Premium Package' (GSP preparation) - aftermarket gps options?

TedHill

I am looking at a used RT.  It came with the premium package but the person did not get the actual GPS unit.

Other there aftermarket GPSs that will fit/integrate into this system or am I forced to buy one the BMW version?

Thanks for the help, 

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 8:48 AM, TedHill said:

I am looking at a used RT.  It came with the premium package but the person did not get the actual GPS unit.

Other there aftermarket GPSs that will fit/integrate into this system or am I forced to buy one the BMW version?

Thanks for the help, 

Welcome to the club!

Premium means different things to different folks.  I've seen Premium models advertised that actually only included one extra package.  (That's may not be deception, either.  Some salesmen/women don't really know the product that they're selling.)

EDIT:  (I knew I had written a bit more about the "Premium" RT model somewhere, and looked like crazy for that post.  Not that important, but here's another link in addition to the link below (re: stock windscreen), which also documents how to figure out the build of your target used bike by VIN#, i.e. to verify that what is advertised and what you're paying for, is actually a Premium model.. )

https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/which-rt-year-is-the-best-to-buy-what-to-look-for.192227/post-1976465

Lots of info out there on this.  A couple of suggestions:

https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/nav-6-alternatives.192322/

Here's a link about the "Premium model" (i.e. I have a comment there with some pictures of the build sheet for my Premium RT).

There are no known alternatives to a NAV 6 that work with the wonder wheel, but some say that function is overrated, secondary to the value of a better operating unit, better screen, etc..  YMMV.

Zumo XT with a video one how the install might work:

One more update, and I hope it helps.

The ZUMO XT is advertised on sale (i.e. Black Friday/Cyber Monday) for about $400, on Amazon and multiple other sites.  I haven't been tracking prices closely, so those who have can correct me, but that product has been in more like the $500+ range, so this seems like a bargain (particularly compared to the $850+ prices for the NAV6).  We all have different budgets; this suits mine.  

• 1 month later...

Beware of the nav 6.  Mine is almost useless now (less that 3yrs old).  It will work fine for 15min and then loses touch screen capability and various images start popping up.  I talked to my salesman, and he said he's on his third nav 6.  If you head over to adv there's a lot of unhappy folks over there.  I have yet to contact Garmin but I am not hopeful.  With soooo many people having gone thru multiple units it looks like they can't fix the problems.

37 minutes ago, longjohn said:

Beware of the nav 6.  Mine is almost useless now (less that 3yrs old).  It will work fine for 15min and then loses touch screen capability and various images start popping up.  I talked to my salesman, and he said he's on his third nav 6.  If you head over to adv there's a lot of unhappy folks over there.  I have yet to contact Garmin but I am not hopeful.  With soooo many people having gone thru multiple units it looks like they can't fix the problems.

I did in fact, pick up the ZUMO XT.  Since it's all white outside, still haven't used it (or yet mounted it) on the RT.  However, I did hook it up in the car and use it for a 1000 mile trip, with mixed results.

I've used a Garmin GPS early on (2015), a Ford GPS for years, of course, Google maps on my smart phone, and this XT unit.   I won't do a long review here yet, since my experience is limited (and I haven't really dove in to basecamp, and the many other advice links our there).   The basic issues I had with the XT unit:

1)  In the middle of a pretty serious snow storm, while depending on the Zumo for directions, weather, and traffic alerts, it lost connection to my smart phone (i.e. by which it receives the weather and traffic alerts).  I couldn't exactly pull over in the situation I was in.  When I did, and tried to pair it with the phone, the Phone's Garmin Drive app and the Zumo disagreed on whether they were connected.  I also figure out that my phone did in fact, have internet connectivity throughout the mountain canyons and steep ravines surrounding the icy roads.  In other words, Zumo XT crapped out all by itself, the loss of service wasn't due to my Samsung S10 cell phone.

2) Trying to add a way point in the middle of the trip is apparently done by pointing with your finger at the screen, somewhere along your route.  If your finger points 10 miles N, S, E, or W of your intended route, well, that's where that waypoint will be.  It is apparently not possible to say, for example, "Junction of highway ## and offramp ##".  After you've selected a waypoint along your route, it disappears on your map.  It doesn't show a flag, or any indication that you have an additional point.  (So, when I was trying to figure out on my route "A" to "Z", how long it would be until I got to point "C", the Zumo made it almost impossible to select a specific point "C", did not confirm my selection, did not SHOW my selection as added to the route, and until the Zumo injected me into a city center, in the middle of the shopping district, in bumper to bumper CHRISTMAS FREAKING EVE TRAFFIC, when all I had wanted to know was "time to point 'C'", several hours earlier, which of course, the Zumo did not provide me.)

3) Analogous to point (2) above, when I was near my destination, 2 hours out, my son asked me to stop off at a Harbor Freight to pick up something that was unavailable at other stores nearby him.  Again, there was no way I could do that without referring to Google maps.  Even when I add the address, I could not add it to my  "A" to "Z" Zumo XT routing.

The display was great.  The unit is pretty quick, as a computer connectivity device.   Directions were clear and concise.  It's early, but there were zero technical problems like people are experiencing with the NAV6 units.   There are lots of positives with the XT, but the NUMBER ONE conclusion I had after first use, was that I could never rely on the Zumo XT on a motorcycle ride.  I'd have to not only have a smart phone, but have connectivity to a phone network and internet via that phone network, or I was better off just having a paper map.  

I haven't given up on the Zumo.  Not going to return it or (at least at this point), try to sell it off.   I'll mount it on the XT at some point in the next two months.  However, I'm also going to purchase a tank bag (probably would do that anyway) to carry a cell phone, and may add a second ball mount to hold a phone while on the ride.  The Zumo, even with it's cellphone/internet integration, just isn't up to 2021 GPS standards.  It's about  6 to 10 years behind Google maps. 

9 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

There are lots of positives with the XT, but the NUMBER ONE conclusion I had after first use, was that I could never rely on the Zumo XT on a motorcycle ride. 

I have navigated more than 100,000 miles using various Garmin GPS systems on motorcycle rides. I participated in the Void rally a few years back riding over 1000 miles in 29 hours while searching for and finding numerous points. The beauty in the Garmin devices is the ability to build and follow routes that are far more enjoyable than blasting down the interstate from point A to B. 

I am not inclined to follow any GPS device blindly.  Be it phone navigation or dedicated GPS I am going to verify the route before I trust the machine to take me to my destination. Pretty easy to do a quick check on either system. 

Many folks on this board ABSOLUTELY trust Garmin devices on motorcycle trips but as with anything there is a learning curve. 

10 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I am not inclined to follow any GPS device blindly.  ....

Agree 100% with the learning curve, and admit, I'm still in that learning stage.   

It was almost comical on that drive, if it weren't as dangerous as it was.   It was pitch black outside, wind and snow blowing, driving icy mountain roads where the only way I could even SEE the road were the fluorescent markers on either side of the highway (or when I hit rumble strips as I unknowingly veered off the road).  Inside my car, I have the Ford GPS up live, the Zumo running up on top of my dash, and my cell phone running Google maps, laying down below the installed Ford unit, essentially comparing all three to ensure I wasn't losing the road.  I thought to myself "hell, I'm not even instrument rated in this car, and here I'm flying blind".   🤣😬😖  It was almost one of those situations where continuing on and trying to pull off the road blind, in 5F weather, seemed to carry equal risks.

So, as I said, I intend to install the Zumo and get into basecamp (I have some of the tutorials suggested by others), and continue using it.   However, also, as I said, the Zumo has limits.  Anyone who decided to, as it seems BMW is heading, rely on their cell phone rather than purchase an expensive Garmin GPS (NAV6 or Zumo), is more than justified in that decision.   BMW's connected cradle with a hardened cell phone is probably the next step I take in motorcycle GPS as the technology matures, but for now, I've committed to the Zumo XT. 

I don't like to be on the bleeding edge, in anything.  I've been bled dry on that kind of stuff, over my technology-based career.  My new, post-retirement motto is: 

"Never be first.  Let someone else go first.  Let someone else do the bleeding.  Proven solutions, only."  

I am very happy with my XT. If you have the opportunity, try it in portrait mode. I find that the information available while riding is superior to landscape.

If you have the NAV Prep Package on your BMW and want to run a XT look these guys up.  adapter3dmotorrad.com  You want the E-navXT unless you want to run a different brand of Nav which they also support.

Ordered mine on Sunday and it was here Wednesday from Italy.  Seems well made and works great.  Don't get wonder wheel but it now fits in the factory cradle and powers up with the bike and powers down with the bike.  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, TSConver said:

If you have the NAV Prep Package on your BMW and want to run a XT look these guys up.  adapter3dmotorrad.com  You want the E-navXT unless you want to run a different brand of Nav which they also support

Ordered mine on Sunday and it was here Wednesday from Italy.  Seems well made and works great.  Don't get wonder wheel but it now fits in the factory cradle and powers up with the bike and goes to sleep with the bike.  

Like the Navigators, you still want a complete shutdown if the bike will be parked for more than a few days. Hold the power button down until the confirmation pops up, and agree to the shutdown.

I made some current measurements when I received my XT, using a 13.6 V power supply.  Sleep mode draws about 2.44 mA. Powered down, the XT and inline voltage converter still drew 0.87 mA. With the mount empty, the voltage converter alone draws 0.15 mA. In use, the XT drew between 420 mA (20% brightness) and 580 mA (full bright).

• 2 months later...

TSConver - thanks for the recommendation on adapter3dmotorrad.com mount for the XT. Mine came in this week, I had it installed the night my XT arrived. About 5-6 days from placing the order to landing in my mailbox from Italy.

It’s a 3D printed mount, nice quality like you say. It clips into the factory mount with a solid snap and is held firmly. I really like how it powers up/down with the bike’s power.

A note on something from the video, the last minute or so shows a locking or anti theft mechanism. Be aware this isn’t included with the mount. At least it wasn’t with mine. No problem for me, on that. It’s so easy to remove and reinstall if I fear for its safety I’ll take it with me.

So, 2 thumbs up on this GPS option from me.

148DF417-447F-47C6-B9FC-0EB9CFCDB960.jpeg

4AD6ACF0-A1CE-46A4-AE87-2DA247748F29.jpeg

955029F9-E007-477E-90A6-99BD566B016E.jpeg

• Like 2