IGNORED

Snow driving stories.

BrianM

Responding to other threads had me thinking about winter (real winter) driving stories. I put my self though college driving trucks (f350, f700, 900 cab over and similar) for the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinal newspaper. Drove 1000 miles a week for 10 years. We delivered 361 days a year in Wisconsin weather.

Just one of many winter adventures.

Returning from Green Bay area to Milwaukee before I43 was completed. Driving south on hwy 45 southbound in a F700. Strong wind from the west, southbound lane had large drifts. Probably 2/3 spent in on coming lanes. Sun was up, semi appeared out of blowing snow head on (I was in opposite lane driving around drifts) , going about 60 mph, had to get back in my lane. Had to drive onto a drift. Stopped at top of drift. Looked out passenger window, about the height of the power wires. Knew virtually no chance of driving out of this but had to try. Put truck in gear, let out clutch, immediately sank until rear bumper hit snow. Shit. Got out, turned towards back of truck , immediately started to sink in snow, stuck arms out sideways and stopped at neck, feet no where near the ground. [censored], really didn’t want to drown in snow. Somehow managed to ‘swim’ out and fall into the road. As I was deciding what to do , a snow plow drove around me, the passenger door opened, a chain fell onto the ground , and the door closed. Took chain and connected to my truck and plow. Pulled me out. Put chain back in plow truck and drove home. BTW this was post storm weather, so it was well below zero  F.

So what is one of your winter driving stories.