IGNORED

Sound system options for my 2006 RT?

bavareze

Hello!

Ever since I got the bike a few years ago, the sound system did not work.  I believe the head unit had been stolen.  I did not pay attention to this aspect, until today when I had to remove the left fairing to investigate a fuel leak.

Now I think would be a good opportunity to also enable the sound system.  This are the components that are left.  So what options do I have from here?

Thanks!

PXL_20210918_223526893.jpg

PXL_20210918_223537380.jpg

I know they were sold with a “radio prep kit” back then. My 05 had that option, speakers, wiring but no actual radio. A Sena headset and cell phone is how I roll nowadays, way simpler. 

• Plus 1 1

You can’t hear music from the RT speakers if you’re traveling over 60 mph. I use custom headphone-earplugs and my phone.   Much better for the ears as it doesn’t require much volume.  

Greetings Bavareze.. you will likely hear a pretty consistent theme the systems BMW has put on bikes, is generally not too good, even on newer bikes. My bike has a full BMW audio system. I never use it on the speakers and seldom even use the radio functions because sound at speed is not good and it annoys others in traffic

Most people use helmet speakers Bluetooth’d into their phone or other media source. Popular brands are SENA and CARDO

I use a SENA linked to BMW GPS and IPhone. My SENA has FM radio as well. The only time I turn on my BMW radio is if I want AM to listen to a game or WX if I think I need immediate weather

All of the pictured parts seem to be aftermarket. My '06 RT has the radio prep package and none of those parts match what I have. Radio prep included an antenna, four speakers, wiring, and a cooling fan in the right side compartment. There are no audio components under the left side panel. Bikes with the full system have only controls on that side, similar to this:

BMW R 1200 RT, prueba (características y curiosidades)

My feeling is that the BMW audio system carries a very high price for a mediocre system. You could create your own system, maybe with a waterproof marine radio. Are there speakers behind the grills?

Seems like a lot of work, but I don't like to hear sounds blaring from motorcycles anyway, so I may be prejudiced.  I find the radio compartment is more useful for storage.

If you want music on your rides, look at a Sena or Cardo communicator which can play music via phone or GPS.

I use Apple AirPods Pro earbuds in noise-canceling mode in my helmet. With the RT windscreen properly adjusted just below my eyes below mynose, Shoei Neotec II modular helmet and AirPods Pro create a very quiet in-helmet environment with superb sound at a low audio volume for about $200. I don’t listen to anything but the quiet environment while riding. Takes 5 minutes to configure with your phone. No bike or helmet mods needed.

Miguel

Edited by Miguel!
Corrected misytpe