IGNORED

Radio control push buttons

Audi403

Hey guys,

I'm going to wire in a push button for my garage door opener on the left hand side where the radio controls are. Has anyone tried to order one of these OEM push buttons from BMW? I haven't taken the fairing off yet so I'm not sure how these switches are wired in or if they will even work for this application.

I have a couple other options to choose from. There are some that will work on Amazon and Digikey. Just requires a simple pushbutton (SPST, Off - Momentary On).  Would be nice to keep a fully OEM look if possible though...

I included some pictures of the garage door opener I installed on my Victory for anyone interested in how to do so.

20210910_204326.jpg

20210527_153529.jpg

20210528_110349.jpg

20210527_223848.jpg

20210528_110154.jpg

20210528_110200.jpg

From Max BMW microfiche:

The buttons can be a little pricey for using just one, but the cover can be bought a little cheaper in order to use a on/off button that can be hidden.

There should be plenty of room behind the console, just pay attention to where the trim panel screws come from and replace them exactly back where they belong; there are different lengths with different shoulders.  

Keep us posted as I may entertain the idea of mounting a remote button as well.   For now, the remote stays in my left jacket pocket and works well enough for me to leave things as they are.   Occasionally, the remote gets flipped around in the pocket.  :ohboy:

Screenshot 2021-09-11 074423.png

Screenshot 2021-09-11 074850.png

image.png.bded09a6bbaea9d64d9df464f02fd548.png

image.png.2bbc5150935aa8bde4b5f24fa1bc3947.png

Switch from ebay ($1), scrap wire soldered to a key fob opener ($20).  Opener fastened under panel with adhesive velcro. The wire scraps had connectors already, so it's easy to remove the fob for battery replacement, though it's not the neatest installation. Original battery still working after ten years. The Hexheads without audio used an inexpensive blanking plate over the hole for the radio controls, so it was easy to take a drill to it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Those OEM buttons are definitely not worth it at that price. If they were individual pieces it may have worked. The pushbutton I ordered comes in the mail today. I'll likely make it happen tomorrow and post up the final results.

• Like 1

Hmm, I have two pushbuttons now and don't think I really care for how either will look. One is too glossy and the other has an LED ring around it which I don't think will look right. I think I'll just keep the OEM look of the panel and not do any drilling.

Going to have to think of another option 🤔 Right now I have an opener in the front left storage compartment but I would prefer not to have to open that each time. 

• 4 months later...

My daughter last week got me this new device  made by MEROSS which connects to Apple HomeKit.  It cost me $50 on Amazon.  Now I can open and close the garage door through my phone.  I can even do it from work too. It doesn't require and mod to be done to the bike. The model MSG100 works fine with my Martin Garage Motor. 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:03 PM, Audi403 said:

Hmm, I have two pushbuttons now and don't think I really care for how either will look. One is too glossy and the other has an LED ring around it which I don't think will look right. I think I'll just keep the OEM look of the panel and not do any drilling.

Going to have to think of another option 🤔 Right now I have an opener in the front left storage compartment but I would prefer not to have to open that each time. 

Morning  Audi403

The last 20 years or so I just use a small remote in my pocket, doesn't matter what direction it migrates to in my pocket as I just squeeze my pocket & the door opens. I ride so many different motorcycles (sometimes 3 or 4 different ones in the same day) that using a motorcycle mounted remote is not practical.

Back in the past when I primarily rode one motorcycle for most of the week & garage remotes were larger & heavier) I just wired the remote into my horn circuit using a micro relay. Simple to install as it was basically just a plug-in in between the horn & horn wire pigtail then zip tie the remote in a fairly dry place on the motorcycle (I did seal the remote in a waterproof covering) . 

A quick toot of the horn & the door opened or closed, my wife liked it as she knew it was ME opening the garage door as she couldn't see the garage door from inside the house. I liked it as the horn didn't work without the key-on so I could leave the bike outside all day then leave the house  & not worry about  someone just pushing a button & opening my garage door. (plus nobody would even think of using the horn if they were trying to break in).

I seldom if ever use a horn while riding as I'm a ride-around-or, evade-the-problem type rider so last thing I want someone to do is hear or see me & do something erratic, or suddenly change direction. Plus the remote working with the horn apply doesn't do anything if I'm not within a couple 100' feet of my garage.    

My remotes on the bikes are just hanging from the wiring at the neck of the bike.  They endure the weather just fine and are located down a bit, tightly, no flopping in the wind.  I've not had one fail on me yet, nor lost one.......and you can only see it if you're looking for it.

11 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Easy wire garage door opener.

https://youtu.be/8dR6t2zCLaA

Afternoon Hosstage

Back when I got married that was the standard garage door opener for some of us but over time things went electronic & our personal garage opener person was replaced with an electrical version.   

I still get that treatment once in a while if I am out without my remote as my wife can open any of the  garage doors or my shop roll-up door from her tablet or cell phone.  

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 9:54 PM, lkraus said:

image.png.bded09a6bbaea9d64d9df464f02fd548.png

image.png.2bbc5150935aa8bde4b5f24fa1bc3947.png

Switch from ebay ($1), scrap wire soldered to a key fob opener ($20).  Opener fastened under panel with adhesive velcro. The wire scraps had connectors already, so it's easy to remove the fob for battery replacement, though it's not the neatest installation. Original battery still working after ten years. The Hexheads without audio used an inexpensive blanking plate over the hole for the radio controls, so it was easy to take a drill to it.

Very similar to my setup. A simple button from electronics store with an regular opener wired to it. That is velcroed behind the panel on RHS. Simple matter of drilling a hole in the plastic and inserting the button which has a rubber seal so waterproof.

Ive done this on 3 bikes now. A simple press nearby and the door opens. Havent had to replace the battery yet.

Hardest part was soldering the wires to the opener circuit board...a bit fiddly.

I also had some male/female plugs on the wires do I could detach it if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 5:06 PM, chatrider3 said:

just Velcro your opener inside the storage compartment no holes and no money spent!

Yeah that's how I have it right now. I'd like to eliminate the need to open the compartment though. Would be nice to just press the button when I'm on the block and ride right in the garage. Less distractions with less steps.

On 2/26/2022 at 10:24 AM, MachineJoe said:

I liked Ikraus' idea.  just finished this today

momentary switch

IMG_3725.jpg

Looks good! That is the same part number I ordered and then returned back in September. Maybe they sent me the wrong pushbutton? I remember it had a very glossy finish. It looks matte in your picture. Can you comment on how the finish looks in person? It looks perfect in the picture.

2 hours ago, Audi403 said:

Looks good! That is the same part number I ordered and then returned back in September. Maybe they sent me the wrong pushbutton? I remember it had a very glossy finish. It looks matte in your picture. Can you comment on how the finish looks in person? It looks perfect in the picture.

Hello Audi,   It was high gloss finish. I took a scotch bright pad and lightly brushed it to remove the finish. If you do that be gentle as I reached that matte finish quickly.

Yeah that's how I have it right now. I'd like to eliminate the need to open the compartment though. Would be nice to just press the button when I'm on the block and ride right in the garage. Less distractions with less steps.

..... and that's what led me to installing the push button. I had to negotiate a slight left turn onto an inclined driveway. Opening the sometimes sticky compartment then reaching for the remote button was more than what was possible. It seems trivial as I write about it but it is sweet to have the door open before I get there

21 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

Hello Audi,   It was high gloss finish. I took a scotch bright pad and lightly brushed it to remove the finish. If you do that be gentle as I reached that matte finish quickly.

Awesome, I never thought of that. I think I'll reorder the switch. I have white, grey, and maroon scotch pads. I'll start with the finest and go from there. Thanks for the idea! I'll also get to learn how to take the fairings off the bike. Just got the bike late last summer so haven't had the opportunity yet. Probably not too bad to get it disassembled to that point?

16 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

..... and that's what led me to installing the push button. I had to negotiate a slight left turn onto an inclined driveway. Opening the sometimes sticky compartment then reaching for the remote button was more than what was possible. It seems trivial as I write about it but it is sweet to have the door open before I get there

Oh, I get it. I always install a pushbutton on my bikes. The last install I did on my Victory (in the first post) was the cleanest install I've done so far. 

On the RT, I've been coming to a stop on my driveway to open the compartment to press the button. This is unacceptable to me, LOL.

• Like 1
On 2/26/2022 at 10:24 AM, MachineJoe said:

I liked Ikraus' idea.  just finished this today

momentary switch

IMG_3725.jpg

Is there room to place it directly above the "ON" button to keep the buttons equally spaced? I'm guessing there is stuff in the way which is why you placed it higher up?

I'm guessing there is stuff in the way which is why you placed it higher up?

Correct .... On my 2017 you see there, that's the closest it can be mounted due to the pushbutton panel

On 3/19/2022 at 1:29 PM, MachineJoe said:

Correct .... On my 2017 you see there, that's the closest it can be mounted due to the pushbutton panel

Thanks for the help. I'm just about done mine, I'll post up a picture of my setup tomorrow.

When I removed the upper fairing I noticed there was a spot where the factory used velcro to hold it in place. However, on my bike, both pieces of the velcro are the rough side (hook), so they don't actually adhere to each other. This seems like it must have been an error from the factory. Shouldn't one side be rough (hook) and the other side be soft (loop) so the velcro actually sticks to each other? I attached pictures of the velcro on the back of the plastic and on the bike.

20220322_212859.jpg

20220322_212907.jpg

Your Velcro on your bike is correct. I have the same. It’s the industrial version. I have bought some made by 3M at different hardware stores. It has a higher gripping power. The little teeth have tiny hooks and grab each, when pushed together.

• Like 2

The fastener pads used on our side panels are 3M Dual Lock, not Velcro.

Velcro uses hooks and loops whereas Dual Lock is lots of tiny mushroom heads that interlock.

With Velcro, you can press it in contact easily and it will engage some of the more rigid hooks with all the little loops on the soft side, but with Dual Lock, you need to press the 2 matching areas together hard enough so that most if not all of the mushroom heads engage with each other...almost like they snap together when really engaged.

Likewise, they separate with a pop, usually all at once if they are on flat surfaces.  

Sorry, couldn't help myself...not being critical, just wanted to point out the difference...

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

Let me add, Velcro wears out and does not like moisture, the dual lock generally does not wear out, and is not affected by moisture.

So, way more information than was asked for........

• Like 2

Thank you everyone! Unfortunately I didn't check this before finishing my garage door opener install. I need to enable notifications. I disassembled the other side to compare and obviously found it was the same. I figured out how it worked when I installed the fairing and noticed the gap where the Dual Lock sits. I pressed in on that spot and it popped together.

@Boxflyer I wasn't aware it was called Dual Lock, thanks for the info!

@MachineJoe thanks for the idea to Scotch Brite the push button. It worked well enough. It's not perfect, but much better than how it came.

Here's the finished product, it works great!

20220323_195837.jpg

20220323_191625.jpg

• Like 2