IGNORED

SiriusXM on R1250RS

Aum

In November 2019 I traded in my 2014 R1200RT for a 2020 R1250RS. I love the RS. The RT had more creature comforts, but I didn't like the extra weight that came with it. But two things I miss are the side case/top case central locking and the XMRadio. Well I can't do anything about the central locking other than deal with it, but I stumbled upon a solution for the radio.

I wear a Schuberth C4 Pro with their SCA1 audio system. The primary phone channel is paired with my RS's TFT. The second helmet phone channel is paired directly to my iPhone so I can listen to music when riding my 2013 Triumph Street Triple R. My startup sequence for riding the RS is 

• Turn on helmet audio system. It immediately pairs with my phone.
  • Open the Bluetooth controls on the phone and turn off the helmet connection.
  • Turn on the RS and wait for the phone and BMW Connected app to pair with the TFT.
  • Start motor and ride.

I've been listening to the SiriusXM tribute to Charlie Watts so when I went to run errands on my RS I decided not to disconnect the direct Bluetooth connection to my phone and simply listen to SiriusXM using their phone app. After the TFT connected to the iPhone I was happy to see the Navigation, Media, and Phone icons light up on the TFT. But I was surprised to see the current cover art and song title displayed when I clicked into Media, along with skip forward and skip back icons for the wonder wheel. (I was not listening to the live stream, but earlier in the program.) The skip buttons worked, but I think it skips by time (30 sec? 1 min?), not song.

There's no specific support for Sirius XM. No channel changing or presets. But it's great to be able to listen to xm on the RS. Also easier and cheaper than connecting an xmradio antenna to a Garmin, which I did previously on a 2010 R1200GS.

Mike 

1 hour ago, Aum said:

In November 2019 I traded in my 2014 R1200RT for a 2020 R1250RS. I love the RS. The RT had more creature comforts, but I didn't like the extra weight that came with it. But two things I miss are the side case/top case central locking and the XMRadio. Well I can't do anything about the central locking other than deal with it, but I stumbled upon a solution for the radio.

I wear a Schuberth C4 Pro with their SCA1 audio system. The primary phone channel is paired with my RS's TFT. The second helmet phone channel is paired directly to my iPhone so I can listen to music when riding my 2013 Triumph Street Triple R. My startup sequence for riding the RS is 

• Turn on helmet audio system. It immediately pairs with my phone.
  • Open the Bluetooth controls on the phone and turn off the helmet connection.
  • Turn on the RS and wait for the phone and BMW Connected app to pair with the TFT.
  • Start motor and ride.

I've been listening to the SiriusXM tribute to Charlie Watts so when I went to run errands on my RS I decided not to disconnect the direct Bluetooth connection to my phone and simply listen to SiriusXM using their phone app. After the TFT connected to the iPhone I was happy to see the Navigation, Media, and Phone icons light up on the TFT. But I was surprised to see the current cover art and song title displayed when I clicked into Media, along with skip forward and skip back icons for the wonder wheel. (I was not listening to the live stream, but earlier in the program.) The skip buttons worked, but I think it skips by time (30 sec? 1 min?), not song.

There's no specific support for Sirius XM. No channel changing or presets. But it's great to be able to listen to xm on the RS. Also easier and cheaper than connecting an xmradio antenna to a Garmin, which I did previously on a 2010 R1200GS.

Mike 

But how does it work when you don't have cell service?  If it worked I could cancel my Sirius XM subscription on my RT. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, strataj said:

But how does it work when you don't have cell service?  If it worked I could cancel my Sirius XM subscription on my RT. 

It doesn't. No cellular signal, no Sirius XM. For those occasions I listen to one of my playlists.

Mike