IGNORED

Looking for Michelin Pilot 3 tires for R1100RT

Miguel!

I’ll need new tires in about 1000 miles. I’ve been told by two different shops that the P3 is no longer available for the rear tire size.  I’m looking to purchase one last pair of P3. Any leads? Thx. Miguel

Miguel, I have found several on eBay, of all places. Decent prices too. I am getting my new set there as well. I love the PR3

If you buy them, try to get a picture of the manufacturing date first.  You don't want a 5 year old tire as it will have hardened up pretty good.

1 hour ago, Warren Dean said:

Miguel, I have found several on eBay, of all places. Decent prices too. I am getting my new set there as well. I love the PR3

Thanks Warren. I'll have a look.

Cheers. Miguel

5 hours ago, Miguel! said:

I’ve been told by two different shops that the P3 is no longer available for the rear tire size.  I’m looking to purchase one last pair of P3. Any leads? Thx. Miguel

I would be very concerned about manufacture date of any available PR3 tire.  I switched to the Pirelli Angel GT for the 18 inch rear tire on my 1100RT.  Been through 3 or 4 of them now, just put one on yesterday.  Excellent tire.  I pair it on the front with a PR4-GT.  For whatever reason the Pirelli Angel front doesn't wear well, the PR4GT wears great and handles just like you expect from the Michelin PR tires.

7 minutes ago, lather said:

I am curious why you guys who like P3s don't go for the current 5s?

Evening  lather

I don't think there is an 18" PR5 that fits the OP's 1100RT.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lather said:

I am curious why you guys who like P3s don't go for the current 5s?

Because the Road 5, and the PR4, aren’t available in the 18 inch size for the 1100 rear wheel.

After looking for tires today, there's really a limited selection because so few manufacturers make the 18" rear tire. I've narrowed it down to three tires and I'm looking for feedback on them from those that ride them. They are the Pirelli Angel GT; Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact; and Continental Road Attack 3. I looked at reviews on Revzilla.

• Pirelli Angel GT: about $300, get 4.8 star, 251 reviews. Users like the tires. image.png.232bfe04ca52e8b7926f77f95fa26a2f.png
  • Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact, about $265, get 4.2 stars, 24 reviews.image.png.4e99174cb55d5bc712249b5657f7c136.png 
  • Continental Road Attack 3, about $390, 4.9 starts, 47 reviews. Highest user-ranked tires image.png.b240b99fdbad54cd07964c71a648ae8a.png

Michaelr11 really liked the Pirelli. 

There are a few other manufacturers available: Avon, for example. But they don't get as high user reviews. So, any more comments on these three tires? From the reviews, I'd likely get the Pirrelli. 

Thanks!!

Miguel

It's been a long time since I had PR 3's that was on an 02R1150RT.  Always felt the next version of Michelins got better in all ways (I've had all of them).  I had a set of Pirelli Angel GT on my14R1200RT and liked the tire and felt it was as good if not better in every-way compared to PR 4's.  The side walls are stiff so if you mount your own tires you'll have to work harder then the Michelins. 

Thanks for the input Warren Dean, 9Mary7 and stratej. I did some more reading of reviews and, coupled with your inputs, I think the Pirelli is my next tire.

Cheers! Miguel

• Like 1

Miguel - I just want to say, again, that the Pirelli Angel GT FRONT tire was very disappointing as far as wear.  I only tried the Angel GT FRONT tire once, then I returned to using the Michelin PR4GT front tire.  The Angel GT front tire gave me 25% fewer miles than the PR4GT.  Same bike, same rider, same roads.

1 hour ago, Michaelr11 said:

Miguel - I just want to say, again, that the Pirelli Angel GT FRONT tire was very disappointing as far as wear.  I only tried the Angel GT FRONT tire once, then I returned to using the Michelin PR4GT front tire.  The Angel GT front tire gave me 25% fewer miles than the PR4GT.  Same bike, same rider, same roads.

Thanks Michaelr11. I truly appreciate your comments. I have been advised by the two tire dealers I've been talking with (both run repair shops anired sell components, one pretty much only works on BMW), against mixing brands. All said, I appreciate your comments but I'm struggling with how to square them with the t dealer's comments. Unfortunately, I've never really taken the time to understand tires. I'm not a high performance rider/driver. Regardless, some questions tho please... 

• How did the Pirelli front wear relative to the Pirelli rear? Did the both run out of tread at the same mileage or ...
  • Did the PR4GT front tread last longer than the Pirelli rear?
  • Are you an aggressive rider in the turns? (I'm not). Do you think that might have played a role?
  • Are you riding mostly in twisties or highway? (For me, its 60% highway, 40% twisty.)

Thank you Sir! Miguel

7 hours ago, Miguel! said:
  • How did the Pirelli front wear relative to the Pirelli rear? Did the both run out of tread at the same mileage or ...
  • Did the PR4GT front tread last longer than the Pirelli rear?
  • Are you an aggressive rider in the turns? (I'm not). Do you think that might have played a role?
  • Are you riding mostly in twisties or highway? (For me, its 60% highway, 40% twisty.)

On the RT, front tires nearly always wear faster than the rear.  The Pirelli Angel GT front was used up while the Angel GT rear was only about 2/3 worn.

The PR4 front was also worn faster than the rear, but it was much closer.

The roads here are harsh on tires, but riding style also plays a part. I purposely didn’t list actual mileage because everything is so variable. The relative miles, front to rear and brand against brand hold up, regardless of the actual miles.

Two lane country roads, lots of smiles. Probably 10% highway, 90% curves.

Thanks for all the input Michaelr11. I greatly appreciate you keeping the dialog going and sharing your experience. This is exactly what forums should be about. 

I'm not and never have been much of a performance guy.I don't need to go fast on two or four wheels to appreciate them.

That said, I puzzled over your post about using the Pirelli AngelGT on the rear and Michelin Road Pilot 4 rather than the Pirelli Angel GT on the front. I just don't have the knowledge to legitimately compare the two other than your post. 

So I've done some more digging the last couple days and thought I'd share what I learned. It has also lead to a decision but I'll get to that.

First, You noted above that Pirelli Angel GT front tire gets ~25% fewer miles than the Michelin Pilot Road 4 . Comparing prices on Revzilla, the Pirelli costs about 20% lower than the Michelin. So the cost per mile is about the same. Also, money at this level, is not an issue for me. 

Secondly, perusing a bunch of tire sites and reviews, many manufufacters and people state, probably correctly, that front and rear motorcycle tire are designed to work together. I'd believe (Hope!!??) that is true, especially for global brand companies like Michelin and Pirelli. 

So given the cost is about the same per mile for both tires, the fact that name brand companies design the front and rear tire to work together on the bike, coupled with the fact that I'll probably hang up the helmet after going thru 2 or 3 more tires, and the fact that so many people and my two MC tire dealers/mechanics recommend against cross branding tires,  I decided to go with the Pirelli against your recommendation. I made this judgement very deliberately and took to heart your strong recommendation for the PR4. 

Again, the most important thing to me is that you took the time and effort to inform me. That was invaluable. Sending good mojo your way!!😎

Cheers. Miguel

• Like 1
On 8/28/2021 at 9:55 PM, Miguel! said:

First, You noted above that Pirelli Angel GT front tire gets ~25% fewer miles than the Michelin Pilot Road 4 . Comparing prices on Revzilla, the Pirelli costs about 20% lower than the Michelin. So the cost per mile is about the same. Also, money at this level, is not an issue for me. 

Cost of the tires themselves is negligible to me compared to my time and trouble mounting the new tires sooner.  I'd prefer higher mileage tires.  It just sucks that our market share is so small that we don't get modern 18" tires.

• Like 1