IGNORED

SE Ohio Weekend

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

We blasted off at the last minute for Athens, OH, home the THE Ohio University and a venue with terrific roads.  We stayed at the OU Conference Center for two nights.  Pretty spendy but only a few dollars more than, say, the Hampton Inn.  This was move-in weekend for students.  A bunch of kids were building a spent beer can mountain and the girls walk around in packs in their underwear apparently.  Friday night, we walked to the football stadium where the marching band was practicing for their opener next weekend.

Being a college town, food and beer venues abound though parking around campus is problematic.  Saturday night's dining spot was The Eclipse Company Store.  Now a superb restaurant and craft beer joint, the building was the Hocking Valley Coal Company's company store.  This picture shows the small houses constructed for miners and families.  The picture at right is my smoked brisket on rye Reuben with a side of gumbo.

image.png.d3e720babd9e003c7188f107de5ab232.png image.png.6f871cbaad32ac36b0f1976f9978db7a.png

Anyway, we didn't take any riding pictures and the GoPro vids of Rt. 555 were borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring and I deleted them.  Just to say the very slow moving couple enjoyed the hell out of the weekend. 

This was our Sunday ride.  The circled area was traffic-free with smooth pavement and more enjoyable than 555 IMO.

image.thumb.png.1a1fb6938c535a2632e18877063dfe19.png

Someone may have posted before, but you can download the RoadRUNNER, Windy 9 map here: https://bit.ly/3gkSeyz

• Like 3

The Eclipse Company Store also offers some tasty beverages, though maybe they are best saved for after a day's ride.  My niece sings there some evenings.

That's a nice little loop. Thanks for the screen capture, I was able to recreate the route to see that I've ridden most of those roads, but there are a couple sections that are new to me. Maybe I'll try them next week.  

As much as I like the power of Basecamp, I do get a bit frustrated with it when it abandons the highways to route me down gravel township roads, or come up with little detours like this:

2066958477_Screenshot2021-08-22232105.jpg.a8bcff7a7a6a607dc4deea0ca1c9874d.jpg

Activity Profile set to Driving, faster time, and it sends me down a 15 mph one-lane alley with a left turn, two right turns and a stop, instead of using the shorter, 35 mph main street with a single right turn.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Good post John,

My wife and I stayed in Marietta 2 nights the weekend before riding a few of the Windy9 roads. 
we did the triple nickel on the way home. I had to buy a new seat due to some of the unexpected blind curves. 😅

• Haha 1

John - 

I'm sorry but THE is a trademark of THE Ohio State University. Ohio University lost out on the battle of THE. (don't get me started - a stupid battle but some lawyers made a lot of money) even though I am a graduate of THE Ohio State University

That area of the state never seems to disappoint although I find 555 to be very overhyped. As you pointed out, other good roads in the area. 

John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, RT_Jim said:

John - 

I'm sorry but THE is a trademark of THE Ohio State University. Ohio University lost out on the battle of THE. (don't get me started - a stupid battle but some lawyers made a lot of money) even though I am a graduate of THE Ohio State University

That area of the state never seems to disappoint although I find 555 to be very overhyped. As you pointed out, other good roads in the area. 

Thanks for the update.  Fixed it in the OP.  Athens area looks like it could be a swell place to live.

There was talk about looking at holding an UN rally in that area some time back because it is, as you said, a fun area with lots to explore. That's where I spend most of my time riding since central Ohio is pretty flat and boring. 

I'm adding the Eclipse Company Store to my list of places to stop next time I'm down there. 

Jim

• Like 3

In 2019 I rode with my brother and friends to Marietta, Ohio. We stayed at the Lafayette Hotel and did several day rides in the area.

Wonderful roads and places to go in the area!

I'd say it would be a great place to have an UN.  Who's voting... 

Lafayette Hotel, Marietta Ohio 2019.jpeg

Lafayette Hotel, Marietta, Ohio

Cedar Falls, Hocking Hills State Park.jpg

Cedar Falls, Hocking Hills State Park

• Like 1

The Cleveland BMW owners club does a Marietta weekend every October with a stay at the Lafayette Hotel. I'm in on this one. John, your route looks like it includes part of OH Rt 26. That's one I've been wanting to ride, and according to our ride captain it will be part of the ride down from Cleveland to start the weekend. I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

For riders planning a SE Ohio ride soon, 555 is closed for construction south of Chesterhill. The official notice says Restricted but we ran into a closure and detour as shown 

image.png.1d147bdd8f6308839aebdf2ee44c02df.png

image.png.380c763c17d5e32a069e25c8b1a0ead6.png

As of two weekends ago I took a chance and rode right up to the closure in Chesterhill. That was 15 min riding past the Road Closed sign. When we got to the barricade we made one right and one left around the block then carried on.

YMMV

Marietta - Great place for an unrally

• Like 1

My buddy Nick and I plan to ride a bit in this area on our way to the FART in September.  Heading down 4 days early.  Looks to be fun.

• Like 3