IGNORED

How not to pass cars ...

BrianT

Don't know if this was a case of follow the leader, or if all 3 riders have bad judgement.  Stuff like this is why I don't ride our local motorcycle hot spots on weekends.  Stay safe out there and look out for more than just the cars.

Moto Pass Clip

Edit - You may need to restart clip from beginning.  For some reason the clip starts half way through recording for me.

• Like 3

Rider was going 155 km/hr (96 mph) when they appeared in his lane, braked down to 88 mph when they passed.  

I'm guessing they are travelling at similar speeds, if not faster.

I think a head-on at those speeds would just vaporize you.  

Or you will wish it had.

43 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Rider was going 155 km/hr (96 mph) when they appeared in his lane, braked down to 88 mph when they passed.  

I'm guessing they are travelling at similar speeds, if not faster.

I think a head-on at those speeds would just vaporize you.  

Or you will wish it had.

Definitely fatal for both if they went head on.

RecentConvert

I spent some time in Slovenia 20 years ago.  Three wide on two lanes with cars was not all that unusual.  The locals blamed the non-Slovenians.

Idiots being idiots.

Stuff like this is why I also stopped riding moto "hot spots" around me on weekends. One close call is enough, and I've had mine.

Keep your eyes open out there...

• Like 1

I came around a curve once on a small mountain road - sharp left for me. A dude on a cruiser was way wide coming around his right the other way, and I had to move further inside to avoid him. His eyes were SOO big as he passed by on my right. Mine probably were too. 

I think if I’d been the rider taking video on this I probably would have closed my eyes and just hoped!

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 8/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, BrianT said:

Edit - You may need to restart clip from beginning.  For some reason the clip starts half way through recording for me.

Pro tip:

The link you provided ends with "&t=23s", which is YouTube's code for "...and start the video 23 seconds in."  This is a handy thing when you actually want someone to start watching a video at a particular point.  When you want to do that, you have two options:

1.  Manually append the start-time code directly to the video link you paste into your post.  You can use just seconds, or also minutes and seconds, e.g. "&t=6m47s".  I'm guessing you can also use hours, but have never tried.

2. When you're watching the video on YouTube, pause it at the moment you want people to start watching, right-click on the video, and select "Copy video URL at current time."

Also handy: these shortcut keys.  The ones I most often use are "<" and ">", to speed up playback when watching videos where people talk too slowly.  Second most favorite are "," and ".", used when a video is paused for stepping forward/backward one frame at a time.  Great for parsing high-speed action.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 8/23/2021 at 12:40 AM, JamesW said:

Personally, I think this was staged for YouTube by a few nut cases.

Anything's possible these days, but if so, it was pretty well executed.  The camera rider reacted pretty realistically when he first saw the oncoming bikes: watch his head move around, and watch his hands go into action (chop throttle, clutch, hard brake) as he comes over the rise.  There are also a lot of shattered bike parts laying in the road after 0:51.  

The French description, translated to English by Google:

I am very happy to be able to write to you and to be still alive at the moment after avoiding 3 crazy bikers by a few centimeters!

What do you think ? How would you have reacted?

I specify that the motorcyclist on the ground is fine, he is doing with a broken arm - He took the back of the black car that we can see just before. It is not the rider on my right on the ground but the rider that we can see just after who is correctly in his lane with a Kawasaki z1000.

You have to tell yourself that my friend was right behind me at this time! We were extremely lucky! A frontal at this speed ... Nobody lives ...

John Ranalletta
On 8/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, BrianT said:

Don't know if this was a case of follow the leader, or if all 3 riders have bad judgement.  Stuff like this is why I don't ride our local motorcycle hot spots on weekends.  Stay safe out there and look out for more than just the cars.

Moto Pass Clip

Some years ago on a state 2-lane, a group of HDs approached in the distance behind a car - all coming towards us at speed.  One of the HDs began to pass the car.  I don't know if he saw us or cared but I moved to the white line on the shoulder as the HD passed between the car and us in our lane of traffic.

44 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Some years ago on a state 2-lane, a group of HDs approached in the distance behind a car - all coming towards us at speed.  One of the HDs began to pass the car.  I don't know if he saw us or cared but I moved to the white line on the shoulder as the HD passed between the car and us in our lane of traffic.

That's a bit different than the stunt shown in the video and in the case of some nut case on an HD not surprising.

2 hours ago, JamesW said:

That's a bit different than the stunt shown in the video and in the case of some nut case on an HD not surprising.

Hey, I resemble that remark!