IGNORED

Bere Island

BereIsland

BereIsland

Just got back from a trip there with my friend Dave and his R850R. Got the Swansea Cork ferry, and arrived into Bere Island to see my Auntie Kathleen on a lovely day, we were very lucky with the weather. here's us tied onto the ship 70210278-M.jpg

Its a super ferry grin.gif

70195990-M.jpg

Always get tired around 2:00pm

70192904-M.jpg

This is a view of Bere Island from Cloughland Hill

70192988-M.jpg

There are two martelo towers on the island, this is the one nearest our house

70193585-M.jpg

This is a view of the lake at the top of Cloughland Hill that we get our drinking water from, you can just see the buoy that holds the pipe of the bottom.

70193311-M.jpg

On our way home we rode the northern coast road of the Beara Peninsula.

70210721-M.jpg

There is a short cut road from Cork to Beara that can be difficult to navigate so I took some pictures of the junctions so that a friend could follow them, here's one of them

70196433-M.jpg

well shortly after this photo, I was making good progress over a typical Irish road,(a bit bumpy) when I felt something hit my back, hmmm I thought, after about 1/2 mile I pulled better over only for Dave to say he thought he had seen something small and silver bounce of the road behind my bike, at the same time as he was saying that I realised that my camera was gone!!, well we both turned around and started looking. No sign of it from the road so I started looking in the long grass at the side of the road, I thought that even if the camera was dead I still could get the memory card out. After about 10 minutes looking I found it, split in two with the card door open, and no card. I couldn’t believe it. The bounce of the road must have ejected the card out of the camera. Well I kept on looking for about 30 minutes for the card but really I thought I had no chance. Yes you guessed it I found it. I can be lucky sometimes. I squeezed the broken case of the camera back together , popped the card back in and apart from a small dent and a button that’s a little stiff it worked. thumbsup.gif

Here’s the grass verge I found the card in

70195773-M.jpg

Just to finish this is a view from Adrigole,Thanks for looking

70194750-M.jpg

Francois_Dumas

Great report!!!

I would have never thought you could SLEEP on an RT (I bet I can't..... grin.gifgrin.gif ).

You really got lucky on finding the camera AND the card back !

That Island looks wonderful. Actually I remember I have a book called Bere Island. By Hammond Innes ??? Hmmmm.... must search for it one day....

Great pictures, thanks !!! thumbsup.gif

Francois

Crikey Steve, you must have eyes like a hawk to find that card - looking at the pictures I for one am glad you did.

I love riding in Ireland - I just never saw it so dry before grin.gif

Andy thumbsup.gif

BereIsland
Great report!!!

I would have never thought you could SLEEP on an RT (I bet I can't..... grin.gifgrin.gif ).

Francois

I normally leave my helmet on in case I fall off grin.gif

BereIsland
Crikey Steve, you must have eyes like a hawk to find that card - looking at the pictures I for one am glad you did.

I love riding in Ireland - I just never saw it so dry before grin.gif

Andy thumbsup.gif

Andy it was just meant to be, I mean like a prat, I picked up the camera and walked up and down a bit thinking of what could have happened to the card, but by now I had forgotten where the exact spot I found the camera was dopeslap.gif I would never make a detective.

Kathleen tells me that Bere Island has made up for the dry spell grin.gif

Steve

smkymtntaco

Thanks, Steve! Great photos, and a great testimony for camera durability...what brand and model was it?

Bere Island is beautiful, and I really like your drinking water cistern. Blends right in with the landscape! wave.gif

BereIsland

Darrell, my camera is a Cannon Ixus 750, cost me about £300 only a couple of weeks ago, the funny thing about this bounce off the road is that the button for selecting multiple picture types or just reviewing the pics is that it was easily turned accidentally, go to take a photo and I would find that I was videoing instead! But not now, the dent in the side of the case has made that button harder to turn. Result

Steve

Thanx for the pix ... fun to see a (relative to my neck of the woods anyhow !) "exotic locale".

LOL, good humour about the Super Ferry dopeslap.gif

Great Pics there Steve,and a good write up, you really had the weather on your side, unusual to see Ireland dry, but the green is stunning. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived