IGNORED

Why are certain words/phrases placed in sentences?

MichiganBob

I've been wondering why certain terms find their way in sentences that do not seem to have any value. For example,

"At the end of the day"

"All in all"

"It goes without saying"

"I'm sure you've heard this before"

"This makes no sense but"

"You probably won't agree but"

or starting a sentence with:

"To tell the truth" of "Honestly" as if I lie most of the time.

What do you think? 

John Ranalletta

"Sat down with" used instead of "talked, chatted, discussed with".  Often wonder if words are spoken when a TV interview says, "I sat with so and so" if they talked afterwards.

These phrases are used by people are apologizing in advance if what they say if perceived as incorrect.

Maybe it's a way to smooth a potential peak or valley so that what we say does not appear too aggressive, arrogant, showy, or pretentious?

Is it demonstrating "humility"? 

"I don't want to sound racist, but..."

"I don't mean to be disrespectful, but..."

I really do get annoyed at the phrase, "At the end of the day, ".

Ending sentences with "you know".

And the one I absolutely cannot stand, the use of the word "like" constantly peppered throughout a sentence. When used, it makes the speaker sound like a 12 year old dope. I hear professional radio hosts use it, and it drives me up a wall. I actually took the time once to send an email to a couple on-air hosts to stop using it, that it sounded juvenile, and they responded on air in a bit of a sarcastic way, and maybe a little condescending, which I found ironic, but it did make them think about what they were saying. Next time you talk with a teenager, stop them and ask them to tell their story without using the word "like". It will freeze them dead in their tracks, they will struggle mightily to complete one sentence.

John Ranalletta
3 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Maybe it's a way to smooth a potential peak or valley so that what we say does not appear too aggressive, arrogant, showy, or pretentious?

Is it demonstrating "humility"? 

It's a personality thing.  There are folks (about 50% of the population) who are loathe to make a mistake or be thought wrong by others (perfectionists).  Their goal is blame avoidance.  You see this in meetings where the leader asks for opinions.  If a perfectionist offers an opinion and the leader suggests or says, "That won't work"; that's the last time the perfectionist will offer an opinion.  Many leaders shut off access to a group's brain power when they do this.  Other perfectionists in the room think, "Damned if I offer an opinion".

Two perfectionists go to lunch. 

The first asks, "Where do you want to go?" 

Second person, "I don't know.  Where do you want to go?" 

First person, "I don't know, you choose." 

It's the blame avoidance dance.  Neither wants to make a choice or say something the other might not approve. 

John Ranalletta
28 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

I've been wondering why certain terms find their way in sentences that do not seem to have any value. For example,

"At the end of the day"

"All in all"

"It goes without saying"

What do you think? 

A friend is fond of saying, "To make a long story short" to which I reply, "Too late".

• Like 1
Just now, John Ranalletta said:

A friend is fond of saying, "To make a long story short" to which I reply, "Too late".

Yup, way too late!

John Ranalletta
30 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

So you're thinking that these phrases are fear based or a form of personal protection John? That's interesting.

In most cases.  Fear of being wrong, i.e. making a mistake.

I take it you have a machine shop of some sort.  Many of the best machinists possess this personality trait.  If they're making something for themselves, they may take risks; but when their work is going to be judged by others (boss, customer) likely they won't start work without a tight spec.  It's about where they get their self-confidence (SC).  Their SC is highest when they KNOW IN ADVANCE they can do the work perfectly.  If they're not sure because they lack knowledge (no spec), training or they know the machine won't hold spec, they lose confidence, slow down and may even refuse to do the work.  "My hell is to be put in a position where I can be blamed for not doing it right."  I've had clients who said they bought a new piece of tech, put it on the shop floor and experienced operators wouldn't touch it until they were fully trained.  Though they may have had the requisite skills, they think, "No way am I going to risk screwing it up which I probably will do."

No matter how skilled, these perfectionists are pessimistic about their ability to do perfect work. That's why they check their work constantly. They don't trust themselves to do perfect work, no matter how long they've been doing it.  Their pessimism drives them to do perfect work. Most airline pilots we surveyed have this characteristic, thankfully.  A pilot has a "spec", i.e. heading, altitude, etc.  Is perfectly trained but is constantly watching indicators for deviations from standard.  That what he's trained himself to do all his/her life since childhood - look for/eliminate mistakes.  BTW, these folks can be perceived as real A-holes as supervisors because they focus on employees' mistakes rather than their accomplishments.

Re: the phrases listed above, the person is thinking, "This is probably wrong" and simply says aloud what he's thinking.  If the leader disparages the opinion, it just confirms what the employee was fearing.

Sorry for the long reply...

John Ranalletta
29 minutes ago, mickeym3 said:

IMO. 

My take on "IMO" (because I use it in posts) is "This is my opinion, but it may not be yours and I'm not suggesting you need to agree with me."

IMHO!!  It's a Southern thang.

What gets me is starting everything with, "So, .......".

And then there's the ever popular and trendy "word-fry", a la Bill Clinton.

Cajuns be different

"it's this way coming"

"ya'll getting down" (as in are you getting out of the vehicle)

"pass a good time"

Military:

"it would behoove you"

"let me piggyback on what the CO said" 

The suspect is in custody "at this time."

I have some local "you can't get there from here."

What is the difference between a fairy tail and a trucker driver's story?

6 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Ending sentences with "you know".

"See what I'm sayin" ""you know what I'm sayin'"   ugh!!!!

That reminds me Richard, when I was in the Navy most of the sentences ended with  "and sh*t"  While I was visiting my grandparents, my sentences ended with "and stuff."  :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Had a “Wicked Pissah” time at the START rally this year! :classic_biggrin:

Mark Wahlberg explains some Boston slang.

careful with that, a little foul language in there

I think that phrase is used more as a caricature of a Bostonian, kinda like Your Cousin…From Boston. I don’t hear it used often but I don’t get out much either.  :)

'Use Yah Blinkah' Highway Sign Goes Viral - NBC News

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/use-yah-blinkah-highway-sign-goes-viral-251620931991

• Haha 1

I mean...I watched many of the Olympic Athletes start their sentences with I mean....  The other phrase that drives me nut is cautiously optimistic. 

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I mean...I watched many of the Olympic Athletes start their sentences with I mean...

That one drives me nuts. One time maybe, but when each sentence starts that way, I tune out.

I'm feeling awfully old today. The saleswoman said "put your John Henry right here" and I knew exactly what she meant. Good lord.

I saw a sign in the yard in front of a house today that said "Boat For Sale By Owner." Who the hell else would be selling it and why would I care?

Hope I'm not becoming a cranky old man.

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

If you find yourself even thinking about telling the neighbor kid to get off your lawn, you're becoming a cranky old man!

From Overwatch.

Reporters seem to be fond of "rate of speed" when describing how fast a vehicle is/was traveling, e.g. "a high rate of speed". Maybe it's because I'm an engineer and I had to study physics, but the word rate implies a change or a comparison. Speed is already a rate (how fast your position is changing with relation to time, e.g. miles per hour) without explicitly adding the word rate. Rate of speed would be acceleration, right?

• 2 months later...
John Ranalletta
On 8/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, MichiganBob said:

"At the end of the day"

"All in all"

"It goes without saying"

What do you think? 

When someone says, "To make a long story short", I think, "It's too late."

Another rub: "Just for shits and giggles".  WTH does that mean?

5 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Another rub: "Just for shits and giggles".  WTH does that mean?

I don’t know but my Lt. who just retired used that saying a lot. Usually right before doing something like this! :classic_biggrin:
image.thumb.jpeg.ec72971795ca2e1fe4f187e790d60286.jpeg

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 8/14/2021 at 1:08 PM, MichiganBob said:

I'm feeling awfully old today. The saleswoman said "put your John Henry right here" and I knew exactly what she meant. Good lord.

I've heard of "John Hancock" as slang for signature (this was a minor plot point in the movie Hancock), but I was only ever familiar with John Henry as a steel drivin' man.  Turns out, yep, it's a thing, although unrelated to the folklore figure.