IGNORED

R1200ST Fuel leak

punchesdfw

Hi all. I'm new to "modern" R-Bikes (my last one was a '58 R50/2). I fueled-up my '05 R1200ST yesterday and gas began pouring of the overflow hose. Is this part of the Fuel Pump Recall? TIA

gas leak.jpg

My first thought is that you over-filled the tank or as the fuel heated up in the tank it expanded and that is your overflow.  I never completely fill the tank unless i am going to ride it a decent distance before parking.

Ride it a while after filling to see if it still overflows.  Your leak appears to be from the overflow hose.  The recall dealt with leaks around the fuel tank/fuel pump area on the left side of the tank and would show up coming from under the forward fairing.

Frank

Thanks Frank. It is definitely from the overflow hose. I don't believe I overfilled the tank. You couldn't even see the fuel. It immediately began leaking as I filled it at the station. Strange

2 hours ago, punchesdfw said:

Hi all. I'm new to "modern" R-Bikes (my last one was a '58 R50/2). I fueled-up my '05 R1200ST yesterday and gas began pouring of the overflow hose. Is this part of the Fuel Pump Recall? TIA

Afternoon punchesdfw

First thing, make sure it IS leaking from the overflow hose!

There is the tank vent (that SHOULD vent into the evap canister, then if anything that the evap can can't hold into a hose that (I can't remember on the ST where it exits), it MIGHT exit  where you show that leak, or might exit right at at the evap can. Is you Evap canister still there?

There is also a 2nd place it can drain from___ There is a filler water drain that also drains to about where you show that leak. Unfortunately this drain hose passes through the inside of the fuel tank, through the fuel, then exits about where you show that leak. If that internal hose is disconnected,  rotted through, or disconnected then you can get an under motorcycle leak.

So first determine WHAT is leaking from where.

The red arrow below shows the water drain pump pass through fitting location (pull the hose off & see it THAT is where your leak is).

1200ST fuel pump Assy.JPG

Found the problem. I removed the Fuel Pump and the vent hose (inside the tank) had come loose at the pump. So, it was floating on top of the fuel until I filled the tank high enough that the hose was submerged. Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, punchesdfw said:

Found the problem. I removed the Fuel Pump and the vent hose (inside the tank) had come loose at the pump. So, it was floating on top of the fuel until I filled the tank high enough that the hose was submerged. Thanks for the help!

Afternoon   punchesdfw

That isn't a VENT hose (tank vents in another place) that the filler neck drain hose ( unfortunately that drain runs through the fuel in the tank).  

1 hour ago, punchesdfw said:

OK. Whatever you call it, Fuel stopped pouring out. 

Afternoon punchesdfw

I call it what is is so as not to confuse future readers.