IGNORED

‘09 RT . Oil smudge from FD.

Redman

‘09 RT that got from dealer 10 weeks ago. They said had just had the 6k service.

I am fairly sure this was clean then when got it. But now, just less than 3k miles later, have this much of lube film on FD.

Now at about 65k.

how much of a problem is this?

note: the oily area is in bit of a shadow, maybe I can get a better illuminated shot Friday.

note: I recently rode thru an abondonded parking lot that had tall weeds growing up they cracks. That would explain the lines through the oily area.

I was going to ask if is a problem that I think sometimes I can hear gear whine from that area. But I thought was just me being paranoid after TWO FD failures on 1150 RT.

Thanks Is no wheel wobble that I can detect.

95259689-8622-4B09-B178-80C22FD34EE7.jpeg

Afternoon Redman

That oily stain looks more like it is coming from farther forward. The smudge is on the front facing part rather then below or behind the R/H side seal. 

Any signs of oil seepage around the drive shaft boot area (I can't really see any in the picture). 

Any signs of gear oil leaking from the lower casting holes on bottom of final drive casting? 

Typically with a final drive oil leak you will see some oil puddle on the rear wheel after parking the motorcycle. 

Look for a rear shock leaking (seeping), or oil leaks at rear of engine, or even a right front fork seal leaking. Also check for R/H side rocker cover seepage.

It could even be road oil kicked up by the front tire (look at front engine cover for similar oil stains) 

Will check those things/areas you mentioned.

Will try to get better illuminated pic. THEn clean off, and keep closer eye on it.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, dirtrider said:

Any signs of oil seepage around the drive shaft boot area (I can't really see any in the picture). 

Like this.....? THe darkest, thickest accumulation seems to be near/under that inboard pivot point........ or maybe is just from the boot.....

Again, I am fairly sure this was all clean when I got the bike (from dealer) 10 weeks and 2700 miles ago. 

I suppose I will clean it up and keep an eye on where it starts from.

IMG_9847[1].JPG

11 minutes ago, Redman said:

Like this.....? THe darkest, thickest accumulation seems to be near/under that inboard pivot point........ or maybe is just from the boot.....

Again, I am fairly sure this was all clean when I got the bike (from dealer) 10 weeks and 2700 miles ago. 

I suppose I will clean it up and keep an eye on where it starts from.

IMG_9847[1].JPG

Afternoon Redman

That smudge on near the inner pivot looks like brake dust.

The bottom also looks to me to be blowing back from farther forward.  (nothing coming out of the holes) 

That blow back looks to be coming form low so put a clean white glove on (cold motorcycle) then reach up on the rear of the oil sump (very difficult to do) then see if there is oil on the top of that rear oil sump porch (just below transmission front cover). Not much room to get a hand in there. 

If you find oil there suspect a rear balancer shaft seal seep, or a rear main seal seep. 

If that is where the oil seep is from switch to Dino 20w50 conventional motor oil & see if your seep disappears after 1000 miles of so of riding.    

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Redman

That smudge on near the inner pivot looks like brake dust.

The bottom also looks to me to be blowing back from farther forward.  (nothing coming out of the holes) 

Now that you mention it, the smudge on FD doesnt feel that oily.

Maybe is only a little bit of oil (gear lube) from pivot point (boot?) and some bake pad dust that then looks like a lot more oil.

I dont see it comming from anyplace forward of the pivot/boot. HAve also felt along the wheel side of the arm.

Still wondering how concerned to be. Is only 10 weeks and less than 3k miles worth. 

WHen you say "nothing coming out of holes", I gather that means you know what a bad failure looks like (shaft seal, I suspect) from experience

, and this what I am experiencing is not that. So that provides me some reassurance.

Will clean up, and keep an eye on it.

Better view of more of the bottom of ...,ah, swingarm(?)

IMG_9849[1].JPG

Forward portion with shock attatchement. No shock oil leak noticed there.

IMG_9850[1].JPG

ANother look at the rear pivot area underneath there.

IMG_9852[1].JPG