IGNORED

'09 RT "Brake Failure". Was the front wheel sensor cable.

Redman

HAd the "Brake Failure" light come on while on a ride, then was not on upon restart, then came on again during a ride and then stayed on. Even up startup, would be on solid and not go thru the normal startup. Did some testing and found that seemed like I had full braking, or near full braking, but also seemed like I could go into a skid.

Did some searching online here.

Was concerned about the brake module failure.

I see that reading the fault codes is really the best way to start the troubleshooting, but that not really available to me (without a trip to dealer).

Checked into the tail lights, filimants looked okay and functioned okay., both bulbs (but was surprized to see only one filimant per bulb).

Looked at front wheel sensor cable - yep - rubbing up against the edge of the rotor there by the caliper. Yep - Is a chunk of the insulation worn away. GOt a mirror and a light - yep - can see individual conductor strands worn away.

Slide the caliper back so could get out the sensor, and have some room to work. And repaired the cable (solder,. hheart shrink).

THat took care of it.

Or should I not have? Is that some recall or something??

3 minutes ago, Redman said:

HAd the "Brake Failure" light come on while on a ride, then was not on upon restart, then came on again during a ride and then stayed on. Even up startup, would be on solid and not go thru the normal startup. Did some testing and found that seemed like I had full braking, or near full braking, but also seemed like I could go into a skid.

I see that reading the fault codes is really the best way to start the troubleshooting, but that not really available to me (without a trip to dealer).

Checked into the tail lights, filimants looked okay and functioned okay., both bulbs (but was surprized to see only one filimant per bulb).

Looked at front wheel sensor cable - yep - rubbing up against the edge of the rotor there by the caliper. Yep - Is a chunk of the insulation worn away. GOt a mirror and a light - yep - can see individual conductor strands worn away.

Slide the caliper back so could get out the sensor, and have some room to work. And repaired the cable (solder,. hheart shrink).

THat took care of it.

Morning Redman

I haven't ever seen an actual recall for a rubbing front wheel speed sensor wire, I do vaguely recall a service advisory to verify proper clearance at service.

I haven't ever found one that was rubbed through before the first tire service so the problem is likely poor service procedure.

On your repair,  make darn sure that the repair is totally water proof. (did you use a sealer type) heat shrink? 

I didn't have a rubbing issue, but I did have a pinch issue once.  Seems I did not ensure the sensor wire was away from the caliper enough and squooze it.  Over time, it had worn to the copper causing hiccups.  Replaced and all was well.

Did use heat shrink tubbing (ordinary kind) on each individual conductor, and another overall a couple inches in both directions past the outer insulation.

Got photo of

damage to cable, and part way thru repair. If of any use to

anyone.

Didn’t get any more photos of further repair steps.

((oh oh

now you know my bike isn’t so

clean that don’t get dirty fingers workin on it.))

D27EED7B-B82A-4FC6-8CC2-9FEB4B2715ED.jpeg

76D3C6DC-25B1-4CBF-B32C-F31B8FC2E781.jpeg

15 hours ago, Redman said:

THat took care of it.

That happened to me when my bike was under warranty. I got it fixed under warranty. It was a factory defect in how the cable was routed.