IGNORED

ABS Fault after tire change – And unable to turn bike off…

Essnowyt

I just got new tires installed on my wheels and I got the wheels back on the bike.  Hurray my new TPM sensors work! 

However, I now have an ABS fault.  The GS911 points me to the Front Wheel Speed Sensor.  If I just had the lack of ABS and traction control that would be one thing and I would get it fixed.  However, what has me stumped is once this fault happens, I cannot turn the bike off with the push button.  The kill switch will stop the engine.  With the engine stopped, again I cannot turn the bike off with the push button.  I need to restart the engine and then then I can turn the bike off with the push button.  This to me is really odd, is this from a grumpy German engineer making the point that there is a fault?

image.png.a5c998c797a564a1b1fc1de256daa50c.png

Has any one seen this behavior?

Thank you,

Snowy.

7 minutes ago, Essnowyt said:

I just got new tires installed on my wheels and I got the wheels back on the bike.  Hurray my new TPM sensors work! 

However, I now have an ABS fault.  The GS911 points me to the Front Wheel Speed Sensor.  If I just had the lack of ABS and traction control that would be one thing and I would get it fixed.  However, what has me stumped is once this fault happens, I cannot turn the bike off with the push button.  The kill switch will stop the engine.  With the engine stopped, again I cannot turn the bike off with the push button.  I need to restart the engine and then then I can turn the bike off with the push button.  This to me is really odd, is this from a grumpy German engineer making the point that there is a fault?

Has any one seen this behavior?

Thank you,

Snowy.

Afternoon Essnowyt

Make sure that your front wheel tone ring is not bent or damaged, that can happen if it gets damaged during a tire change.

Next, make sure that the front wheel speed sensor pig tail wire is not & hasn't been rubbing on the brake rotor. 

It is also possible to damage the front wheel speed sensor while removing or reinstalling the front wheel if not very careful. 

Thanks Dirt Rider.

Looks like it is Option 1...  Just went out to the bike, jacked up front wheel to give it a spin.  Lo and behold the sensor ring is bent!

Ill try and massage it back its proper round and flat form.

Snowy.

5 minutes ago, Essnowyt said:

Thanks Dirt Rider.

Looks like it is Option 1...  Just went out to the bike, jacked up front wheel to give it a spin.  Lo and be hold the sensor ring is bent!

Ill try and massage it back its proper round and flat form.

Snowy.

Afternoon Essnowyt

Just make sure that it can't contact the wheel speed sensor but it needs to be close to it. 

A friend told me he had that exact scenario when he installed his front wheel wrong-way-around.  Discovered it on a short test ride, so made it right once the laughter subsided.  He's still a friend, I just have to watch him a little more carefully......:jaw: 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On my 2014 GS, the ring was slightly dented from an offroad impact of some sort by previous owner. The only symptom I got was with the cruise control. It would kick off whenever I went over an overpass,  or bridge. No ABS fault. Straightened it with a small crowbar so there was no apparent runnout, cruise does not kick off anymore. Really crazy the way some things work.