IGNORED

codereader1150RT?

Leon

Greetings,

I've recently nearly completed my second annual on my 2004 RT. I say nearly because I'm unable to comply with the service manual requirement to check the "fault code memory" of the MoDiTeC system. Actually, the bike runs perfectly, at least so far, so I've no reason to suspect anything is wrong, but it would be nice to be able to read the codes. Does anyone know of any after-market code reader that could be used for the RT? Perhaps one of the many aftermarket automobile units?

An unrelated issue: As I stated above I had just completed my 2nd annual which involveed replacing the wheel circuit fluids. I did so just as I had done last year, along with the clutch and control circuit, but when I took the bike for a test ride afterwards I had a persistent ABS error signal! Panic! Even though the brakes seemed perfectly normal, I was quite distressed! I had no idea what I could have done wrong. I then repeated the entire procedure for the wheel circuits and again took the bike for a ride with the same damn error signal shining brightly. Damn! I then discovered that one cause of the light is low fluid in either reservoir. Of course neither reservoir actually had low fluid, so I checked the sending unit on the top of the reservoir. One unit indicated low fluid even though the fluid was full! Upon further inspection I discovered that the float inside the reservoir had actually stuck in the bottom position. I reached in with a (clean) paperclip and was able to gently "pop" the float free of whatever was holding it to the bottom of the reservoir. Problem solved!!! Moral: don't let the fluid get too low when doing the fluid change! Whew!

Leon

Unfortunately BMW have kept the secret of the codes to themselves and no aftermarket reader exists. My dealer will read the codes for me for a small fee, yours may do the same.

Thanks for the tip re the ABS warning.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Perhaps one of the many aftermarket automobile units?
Nice thought, but unfortunately BMW bikes are not ODB-II compliant

So you cannot read error codes just by counting pulses out of the diagnostic port on an LED or meter as you can with the 1100..?

So you cannot read error codes just by counting pulses out of the diagnostic port on an LED or meter as you can with the 1100..?

Unfortunately no, they went digital with a proprietary (sp?) code on the 1150s

Andy

Archived