IGNORED

clutch and cooling fluids

Rob L

1. The cover on the clutch master cylinder says mineral oil.  Anything special or will any hydraulic fluid work?

2. Coolant. Anything special about the coolant or can I use a quality automotive coolant?

I have 79000 miles and have never serviced either one.

No real reason to service the clutch since it is mineral oil it does not suck up water like brake fluid.

That being said I did mine when I bought it and used this stuff, Magura Royal Blood Mineral Oil, 1 Liter, Amazon has it real cheap.

• Like 1

The bmw coolant can be had for a reasonable price at the bmw motorcycle or car dealership, so it is not hard to get.

• Like 1

So I will attempt the coolant at 5 years and I bought a gallon at a BMW car dealer and it was not too bad cost wise.

Now my issue with the clutch is how you are doing that?  I was thinking of a dilution process.  Empty the res, ride for a while, empty the res, rinse and repeat a few times and call it good. 

I want to know how you are getting to the bleed screw?  If someone can show me that I would be happy for sure and would do it that way.  Otherwise going to go with the dilution method.

4 hours ago, LAF said:

....  If someone can show me that ...

Lee,

Here's the page from the BMW repair manual... lots of preparatory work to get at the slave cylinder

clutch.png

That is just it, it is not a 5 min job to do. 

I have never seen a write up on doing it other then the DVD.  

Like I say I cant even see or get near that bleed screw so when someone brings it up I like to hear their ideas and thoughts on how they are going to do it.  That starter is right in the way.

I am going to try dilution at some point and call it a day.