IGNORED

I used this in my 1994 BMW r1100rsl transmission

Bill Cats

I used this gear oil, 800 ml in my BMW, 1994, r1100 rsl, and I plan on using it in my gearbox, is this good stuff to use?

IMG_20210716_185012668_HDR.jpg

I believe that is Valvoline oil in generic packaging for one of the auto parts stores. I've used that brand motor oil and like it. 

Bill,

I've had weeps in my old BMW bikes ('99, '99,  & '00) going from dino oil to synthetic.  I read all kinds of theories, seals not designed for synthetic, etc.  I don't know what the real cause is, but when I went back to dino oil all was well again.  FD, trans, fork seals, even the engine.  NOT a big deal, just a nuisance and unsightly.  

James in OK
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Bill,

I've had weeps in my old BMW bikes ('99, '99,  & '00) going from dino oil to synthetic.  I read all kinds of theories, seals not designed for synthetic, etc.  I don't know what the real cause is, but when I went back to dino oil all was well again.  FD, trans, fork seals, even the engine.  NOT a big deal, just a nuisance and unsightly.  

I have had that exact experience in my 2000 RS.  I love synthetics but this is one application where they caused a problem.

• Like 1

I used this for years in my drive train and had no weepy seal issues with my '99 RT. (BMW Final Drive Gear Oil SAF-XJ SAE 75W-140 - 83 22 2 357 992)  My supply has recently run out and I will need to look elsewhere because I don't believe this is an active BMW product anymore.  I'm not sure who made it for BMW.... maybe Spectro, but I'm nit sure about that.

5 hours ago, Paul De said:

I used this for years in my drive train and had no weepy seal issues with my '99 RT. (BMW Final Drive Gear Oil SAF-XJ SAE 75W-140 - 83 22 2 357 992)  My supply has recently run out and I will need to look elsewhere because I don't believe this is an active BMW product anymore.  I'm not sure who made it for BMW.... maybe Spectro, but I'm nit sure about that.

Afternoon Paul

Castrol  made both the SAF-X0 (75w90  & the SAF-XJ (75w140)  gear oils. (that was back when BMW was in bed with Castrol).

Land rover also carried the same gear oil (at least the SAF-XO as LRN 7591) 

The Castrol Syntrax long-life 75w-90  (non LS) is also supposed to be the same as the Castrol SAF-XO so you might research to see if the Syntrax long-life 75w-140  (non LS) is the same as the   SAF-XJ (75w140). 

• Thanks 1