IGNORED

Derailed CDR ride plans

Next week, I, along with my two sons Josh and Austin were set to begin a CDR from Antelope Wells, NM to a Canadian border crossing in Montana.  It's called the CDR and is a bucket list ride for many people.  This trip has now been postponed.

It's been a rough week. Josh, my youngest, was in extreme pain on Saturday. His mom took him to ER, where he lingered for a day while they tried to get him a hospital bed. After some imaging, they found he has a tumor on his pancreas. Of course, that news knock the wind out of me and the family. It's been a flurry of activity for the last few days as we researched our alternatives. Fortunately, I have exceptional insurance, and it comes with a concierge service. Those people were knocking down walls and clearing paths to help me find the very best doctor for Josh. At this point, Josh'es pain is subsiding as he gets bed rest. We are almost there. We will get Josh checked in to Scripp's Cancer Center. We are pretty optimistic that we caught this at a stage where he should make a good recovery.  But that recovery is going to take a long time.

Josh turned 21 last month. Austin took him out and got him thoroughly trashed. It may have been this activity that inflamed his pancreas leading to the discovery of this tumor. Thank God for alcohol.

Of course, this has derailed our plans to ride from Mexico to Canada next week. Josh said we could go without him. Yeah, not happening. We wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride without him.

But that said, I am thinking about a shorter 4 day ride that Austin and I could do together.  It would be a destination ride.  We drive up somewhere great, toodle around for a few days and then come home and tell tales of adventure to Josh.  :-)

I was thinking going up and seeing Larry in Salida.  Is there a route of fire trails and back roads that I should look at?  Larry?  Austin isn't at a skill level of handling single track yet, so I would want to minimize that type of riding.

Greetings Stir , Even though we don't know each other , my thoughts will be going out to you. I know how deep the cut is when one of our children's health is in question.

szurszewski

Wow - that’s some news. I was about to tear up at “where he lingered for a day” - and then was relieved to figure out that just meant he was stuck in the ER waiting for a proper bed/room. 

Bummer about your trip, but that can be postponed. Very glad you all found this sooner rather than later (and definitely better that it cropped up at home rather than out on the trail!). 

You need to talk to Bill. He seems to know ALL the roads in that area. Let’s see if we can get him here - @roadscholar - you got your ears on?

• Like 1
roadscholar

Yes that is some crappy news but hopefully it will turn out for the best. Salida is a great place to base out of for offroad, there's a lot variety in every direction. Not only does the CDR and TAT intersect there but there's plenty more great riding in 100 mile radius. I would just ride a few of the CDR sections in Colorado, it's probably some of the more scenic the entire route but I'll work up a few loops and post them too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh FFS!  Austin has come down with mono.  He can't ride for at least a month.  Joshua is out of the hospital, resting.  They weaned him off intravenous morphine and he can manage the pain with oral opiates.  We have a consult with a surgeon on Wednesday.

My wife thinks I should make a run at the unrally.  Maybe I should.

When it rains it pours. I hope your kids heal up quickly!

I just freed up a room there so if it’s full you may get that one. 

I wish I could plan for that.  The problem is, there is a high probability that they will schedule Josh'es surgery during that time window.  I won't have a better idea until after this Wednesday.  Cambria would be very therapeutic for me if I can pull it off.

Those are some strong, confident young men.  Enjoyed meeting them at Torrey this spring.  Wishing them both the best.

• Like 1