seats killing my butt

steveg

Anyone else having trouble with the stock seat? It looks beautiful and get alot of compliments on it but this thing is killing me,  I have a bill mayer seat on my R1100RT with over 200000 miles and it's alot better.  Any comment's or suggestions?

Comments....BMW seats are not comfortable on long rides.  If you like the Bill Mayer seat, get another one.  If you aren't happy with BM, I think the most comfortable seat you can put on an RT is from Russell Day Long.  I've been riding on them for over 20 years now.  I think others here will say the same.  There are other aftermarket seats, but Russell has worked for me

BMW Motorcycle Seat | Gallery | Russell Cycle Products (day-long.com)

For my '19 RT, I bought a used seat on fleabay (so that I may keep riding) and sent it to http://laamseats.com/ for a build.   He used to work for one of the brothers that did custom seats.   The stock heating element will be transferred over to the new seat, so no worries about that.    Price wise, I guess he would be on par with all the others out there, but I did not do any research;  just word of mouth and a test ride on another seat built for another board member.

I like the set-up and did not have any issues during long riding days for the ART's.  The seat was built over-the-phone and I am satisfied with the result.   He does have in-person fitting, if you are in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

I replaced my stock seat with a Seth Laam seat as well.  He does good work.  Another seat manufacturer you might want to check out is Seat Concepts.   I just discovered this company and a friend of mine has their product and is very satisfied.  They go about the seat build a little different and a lot less expensive than other seat builders.   

RT stock seats are the suck. I went with Bill Mayer on my 05, and on my 18 I went with his worker who opened his own shop. Both are in Ventura and both of their seats were/are outstanding. 

I guess I have a sensitive butt. I had BM saddle put on my ‘15 RT and my ‘11 1200R. Both only marginally better than stock. My ‘20 R1250RS I went with Wunderlich. Still just a tad better but definitely better. I really think the only real solution is to ride enough to keep your butt in shape. Kinda like getting used to riding a horse! The Wunderlich looks super good though and is much higher quality than stock.

• Like 1
West_Coaster

Anyone know of a seat vendor that offers a driver backrest on their seats? My wife likes to hold onto the seat rest, makes her feel more locked in. She has a hard time reaching the stock side handles.

I have RDL seats now, while very comfortable on a long straight journey, I don't like the much higher riding position, and I can't hug the tank when doing a lot of curves. Kind of makes me feel like I'm riding on top of the bike, not part of the bike.

• 9 months later...
garysciascia

I had a Russell Day Long on my 2017 gtl. Most comfortable seat ever. I started riding in 1981. I've had, Sargents, Corbins and 1 or 2 others i cant remember. Be aware the Day Long has a break in period.

The seat height because of the seats "suspension," you sit a little higher than stock. So if your reach is hurting because you have stubby legs be sure and specify in the instructions or by calling. Very easy to talk to someone and you can send the seat back 3 times for modification before getting a refund. A leather seat with a backrest with the pouch is around $1250. There are cheaper option, like vinyl and no backrest and no seat pouch. Get what you pay for. Going to get one for my 2021 rt soon. Gotta roba bank first!!  Jus kidn to all you FBI guys out there!!

MichiganBob

Got a RDL on my RT last year. It's the  most comfortable saddle I have sat on and I started riding bikes in 1968. That being said, there's a lot of choices out the, kind of like oil and tires if you get my drift.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

This might be gross but a lot of the butt pain is a consequence of vibrations causing chaffing of butt hair against your underwear seams. I switched to seamless boxers for my long rides and have many 1000-mile days on my R1100RT and too many to count 500-mile days. This was all with the BMW comfort seat. Rather than chasing a better seat, try and identify the details of your specific pain and make a decision from there. 

Maybe this is TMI but on longer rides, I use LD comfort shorts, dash of monkey butt powder and some skin cream. No monkey butt. But perhaps what's ailing you goes beyond irritation and has more to do with the seat ergo's.

konacyclist

So I’m sitting here in my hotel room in Redding, CA waiting to get my new Russell Day-Long seats. This will be my second pair of Russell seats. I had them on my 2012 R1200GS Rallye. What a positive experience it is to do a ride-in fitting with same day delivery. Excellent attention to detail and a sincere desire to make you happy with your seat. If you can do a ride-in fitting, you owe to your backside and your significant other’s backside too. The seats are going on my 2022 R1250RT.

The production date for my RDL is in SEPTEMBER :87: Getting a comfortable seat for my RT has been 6 months of disappointment. I sure hope that the RDL is the solution :5146:

......with that type of thinking, you setting yourself up for failure.   Reminds me of my blood type:  B+

It will be more comfortable!!   :4296: