IGNORED

Is my fuel pump controller fried?

neil_wilcox

neil_wilcox

I just finished flushing the brakes on my 2005 R1200RT with 60,000 kms on it and went to start it again a few days after putting it back together.  The fuel pump whines and, I think, pressurizes when the ignition key is turned on but she no start!  There is no fuel leak anywhere and the bike was running perfectly before the tear down for the brakes.  I'm sure that I connected everything correctly at the pump but I may have to tear it down again to double check my work.  Is this what happens with a bad controller?  That is, does the fuel pump still whine when the key is turned on even when the controller is shot?  Thanks for any replies to my simple question..

Neil

6 hours ago, neil_wilcox said:

I just finished flushing the brakes on my 2005 R1200RT with 60,000 kms on it and went to start it again a few days after putting it back together.  The fuel pump whines and, I think, pressurizes when the ignition key is turned on but she no start!  There is no fuel leak anywhere and the bike was running perfectly before the tear down for the brakes.  I'm sure that I connected everything correctly at the pump but I may have to tear it down again to double check my work.  Is this what happens with a bad controller?  That is, does the fuel pump still whine when the key is turned on even when the controller is shot?  Thanks for any replies to my simple question..

Neil

Morning  Neil

Usually when the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller) quits then you don't get any fuel pump run at all, (no pump whine).

Are you sure that you hear the fuel pump & not the ABS brake servos?

Recheck all your tank connectors &  make darn sure the pressure side quick disconnect at the fuel pump pass through is FULLY snapped together. If that is only partially pushed on (not fully pushed on & latched) then in most of cases you get no fuel flow.  

neil_wilcox

Thanks, DR, for your reply.......I didn't know if the whine should be there even if the controller was suddenly shot.  I will tear the tupperwear off again and check my work.  The brake servo makes a different sound and occurs only when the brake lever(s) are actuated......am I right?  The whine I was referring to occurs immediately after key turn on and I always thought that was the fuel pump.  So it seems that I have fuel pump powering on but no flow.  I will check again when I have the time.  Thanks.

Neil

neil_wilcox

Thanks DR, you were exactly correct.  I stripped the left side fairing off and re-seated the fuel lines and sure enough one was not seated fully.  She fired right up.