IGNORED

Sena 10C EVO Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Sena 10C EVO Review intro

The 10C EVO, the third rendition of the Sena 10C comm/video recording unit, raises the capabilities bar of this helmet-mounted device. Clearly, it’s an attempt to compete with the latest GoPro line of products, with the added ability to communicate from rider to rider.

First and foremost, the 10C EVO now has 4K with a 125-degree F2.4 FOV lens. And, it continues to have the ability to adjust the horizontal level, a function necessitated by the fact that when the camera is mounted to your helmet it’s not always perpendicular to the horizon. The 10C EVO allows you to straighten the angle via previewing the shot live by smartphone.

4K is 2160p: 30fps, but you also can record in 1440p: 30fps—quad HD, 1080p: 60fps—full HD, or 1080p: 30fps—full HD. I did notice that the colors seem richer and more saturated compared to the latest GoPro straight out of the camera. The quality of the video is nice in 4K, as you would expect.

Sena 10C EVO Review FB

The second new feature is the doubling of memory capacity from 64GB to 128GB using U3 or higher. This feature allows multiple hours of recording per day. The only limiting factor was battery life. To resolve this issue, Sena has designed the unit to be able to charge on the go. I simply ran a micro-USB cable from a small battery bank to the charging port and was good to go.

As far as stills, they are taken via the 12MP camera (4:3)—up to eight stills per second in burst mode.

Battery life was okay given I was using the comm system as well as filming in 4K. The 10C EVO seemed to make it to the 7-hour mark of combined usage before the battery ran out of juice.

I did observe that the comm range seemed to be reduced compared to other Sena units I’ve tested. That’s compared to both off-road, open desert riding and lush northeast Maui jungle. The 10C EVO claims up to one mile of range. I experienced comm issues around 1/4-mile range in the desert and at about 1/8-mile range on the “Road to Hana” jungle sections.

As far as the audio quality, be sure to use the included “sponge-like” microphone cover to avoid wind noise. That said, the audio is pretty clear and intelligible whether you’re whispering or speaking loudly.

As in the older unit, you still have the ability to record dialogue over music, which adds a nice option to the experience. You are limited to a total of four intercom links with other riders, and I don’t think I’d want any more than that. I do wish they made a headset to communicate with a chase vehicle driver. That would come in handy if you had a support vehicle and were in need of assistance.

A nice feature of the 10C Pro carried over to the 10C EVO is the ability to preview what’s recorded and to download and distribute via smartphone to family/friends or social media.

The electrical ports seem well suited to withstand inclement weather with the included tethered rubber covers. The aesthetics of the device have changed to a more robust modern look.

You get Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity to your smartphone for better music quality, GPS directions, and phone calls. Connecting seemed easy and worked as advertised. For those of you who still listen to FM radio, this device includes it along with 10 presets of your favorite stations.

I did enjoy the Advanced Noise Control as we passed a section of the road where gardeners were trimming the lush jungle foliage. It seemed to cancel the noise of the gas-powered trimmers, allowing for clearer audio as we continued along our route.

As with most modern electrical devices, firmware updates are available, and easy to accomplish with the Sena smartphone app.

Overall, for about a $50 increase from the previous model, you get 4K video and twice the data storage in a sleek-looking device that comes with a two-year warranty.

Sena 10C EVO Review product

Sena.com

MSRP: $399

PROS:

• Larger data storage capacity
  • Higher resolution camera
  • Very useful smartphone app

CONS:

• Battery life hasn’t kept up with the new capacity of the data storage
  • Would be nice if Sena made a headset for chase/support vehicle drivers

Where to Buy:    Revzilla btn

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AdvmotoReviewsRss/~4/T8SxqCfznXg