IGNORED

Royal Enfield INT 650 Scrambler Please

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

One Scrambled Royal Enfield INT 650, Please

Part One: Turning an Interceptor 650 into a “Budget Baja Scrambler”

I’ve ridden a few Royal Enfields over the years. In 2017, Kyra and I circumnavigated England on a pair, her riding the venerable classic Bullet 500 with me aboard the then-new Continental GT. Enfield’s 500cc thumpers carried us around the isle quite comfortably, with soft luggage strapped to the tail of Kyra’s, and a tank bag and backpack on mine. Dirt roads eluded us, but not for lack of trying. The Continental, with its clip-on style handlebar, stretched-out seating position, and rear set controls were not optimal off-road options. Perhaps the Bullet could have managed most of what we were after with a proper set of tires and a skid plate. But in the end, we stuck to the tarmac and knocked out some 1,800 miles around the U.K.

I sort of fell in love with the GT on that ride. Its single cylinder plugging along the M2 motorway wasn’t fast, but I’ll be damned if it wasn’t fun. So, when Enfield announced their first-ever parallel twin 650cc, which would propel a new iteration of the Continental GT as well as the new Interceptor (INT), I was intrigued. Where the GT was lacking in its off-the-highway abilities, the INT 650 seemed to check many of the boxes. And the INT came equipped with a long, flat seat, upright riding position, more traditional taller handlebars, twin rear shocks, and a fuel tank that gave it the look of a proper “Steve McQueen machine.” It reminded me of a blank canvas, the kind eager off-road racers of the late 1950s and early 1960s would have stripped down for desert racing. But a full-blown “desert sled” wasn’t what I was after; rather, I sought something that could cruise the Interstates and also tackle the backroads and beaches of Baja, where I spend much of my time.

Royal Enfield INT 650 Scrambler Build1 FBTW

Before I could put the Interceptor under the proverbial knife, I needed to make certain it was the motorcycle I’d imagined. A trip east from Phoenix to the sleepy little desert mountain town of Superior, Arizona, was the first trip.

Around 90 mph and 7,000 rpm, the INT 650 seemed to be working pretty hard. It could “do the ton,” no doubt, but I don’t think it would maintain such a pace for too many miles. Ergonomics were exactly as I’d hoped: a classic ’60s twin where the pilot is upright, knees bent slightly, with plenty of room to move around on the cross-stitched-style seat. Plus, a wide handlebar with lots of leverage. Suspension was plush, especially in the rear, which I noted for future upgrades. The ByBre (aka Brembo) brakes on both wheels provided ample stopping power, while the Bosch ABS relieved a bit of stress during sudden halts. Producing an alleged 47 horsepower from its 4-stroke, 648ccs is enough to keep the 470-lb. (wet) INT 650 moving along nicely. It carries 3.6 gallons of fuel, which is good for roughly 150 miles at highway speeds. Lastly, the 31.7-inch seat height was comfortable for my 5-foot, 9-inch build, and approachable for Kyra’s 5 feet and 1 inch.

Royal Enfield INT 650 Scrambler Build1 Kyra

We passed through Superior and continued east into New Mexico. The miles disappeared beneath the 650’s frame; however, we hadn’t encountered any dirt roads worth wandering down. Equipped only with road-going rubber, I wasn’t too eager for anything greater than a wide dirt road, but was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable the Interceptor felt when up on the pegs. We did, eventually, find some gravel to grind the INT along, but red-flagging the engine case, oil filter and exhaust that were not only exposed, but a liability if we were going to take this bike into Baja.

First impressions were pretty darn good. The parallel twin feels effortless in its ability to produce ~50 horsepower, the gearbox is crisp (although finding neutral was a bit of a chore), and the overall riding experience left me wanting more. But if this thing is going to spend its days exploring the backroads in Baja, it will need a few upgrades, including a skid plate, a tail rack to strap some stuff to, knobbies, and a few other things, to start.

Royal Enfield INT 650 Scrambler Build1 Overlook

Stay tuned to ADVMoto’s channels for Part Two as we transform this 2021 Royal Enfield INT 650 into a “Budget Baja Scrambler,” then cross the border and in search of tacos and good times. Until then visit Royal Enfield for more info!

{youtube}SrziPmAu6og{/youtube}

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AdvmotoReviewsRss/~4/YbmutWdFpBQ

View the full article