IGNORED

Tank Bag

BCRider

Wondering what is a practical tank bag to purchase? There's not much selection in my town and I don't want to buy something over the internet that turns out to be useless.

I had a BMW Multivario bag for years. It came with the bike and it worked ok though it would rub the paint if I wasn't careful. I added more padding to protect the paint. During that time we bought a Marsee bag for my wifes bike and we really like it. It has a grippy textured bottom that doesn't harm the paint. So, when I found a lightly used Marsee 20 litre teardrop tankbag for my R1100RT, I quickly bought it. Here's a link to the most current model.

http://www.marseeproducts.com/cgi-local/...5dd2+1153120576

The new bags have a quick release feature that is supposed to be very nice. Two zippers down the side release it for refueling.

A very popular tankbag around here is the Big Mak. It mounts to the fuel tank neck. The bag flips forward when it's time to refuel. This is for sure the easiest bag to deal with at the gas pump. I prefer not to have the hardware on the tank full time so I chose the Marsee.

Wondering what is a practical tank bag to purchase? There's not much selection in my town and I don't want to buy something over the internet that turns out to be useless.

I've been going through the same deal for almost a year. I went through two tank bags that didn't work out for me. Then I found this one at a yamaha cycle shop.

Rapid Transit Recon 19 Magnetic Tank Bag

This one has been ideal for me even though it is magnetic. I ended up using three very small bungee cords to secure it. This also gives me the benefit of a perfect quick releasesetup

The features are awesome and the size is ideal. I've done the autocom setup with it and all the cables pass through a single hole designed for this. It comes with backpack straps, a built-in rain cover, Map case, lots of pockets, and you can add a water bag (I just use my camelbak bladder).

I also found the price point reasonable based on the features and quality I've seen from others. I promise, this is not a paid advertisement. wink.gif

Cheers!

George Brown

I have a Sargent system, which is sort of like a Swiss Army knife. Includes a tank bra, tank bag and a little purse for use around town. I would rate it a 7 or 8. I've had it about 5 years and it has held up reasonably well. With the rain cover it stays dry.

I also have a BMW bag which came with my bike when I bought it (used). It looked like it could scuff or scratch the paint so I always folded a hand towel up under it when I used it. It worked well but was not as easy to use when refilling the gas tank as the Sargent. FWIW, I think if I was to get another, I would try the BigMak system.

Would consider selling the BMW bag if you're interested.

chrisolson

Interesting...one mention of the Big Mak bag. Very functional, doesn't scratch paint, don't have to fuss with straps to get gas...nice product - no affilitation, just a satisfied customer.

I have 2 bags. One is a Multivario I bought for my K75, the sucker was right at $300, so I have adapted it to use on my R1100. Looks a little funky with the clips hanging down along side the tank but it works great. I also have a Marsee that is a great bag. Bought 2 attachment strap kits so I can switch it between my VStrom and the R11. Marsee makes very good stuff and I doubt you can go wrong. I called them about something and they could not have been any more helpful or responsive. Good customer service. Others wiill chime in with their opinion of course. Good luck and safe riding.

The BigMak works very well on a RT. I have a Marsee Corona bag on my S and like it as well. I think the Marsee bag is built a little better, but the BigMak is sized so you don't honk the horn on full lock turns. BigMak also sells a little mesh cup holder for his bags. Very handy on a hot day.

Both set-ups are very nice and would serve well for years.

I've put almost 40k with my Big Mak since last summer, and it's been handier than a pocket on a shirt. I like everything about it, except for one small tiny petty bitch. If I make a hard left hand turn in parking lot speeds the side of the bag hits the fwd button on the radio and causes it to either skip channels or CD tracks. No biggee. I like the storage - a LOT. I can get my 35mm, a case of CDs, my NPS passport, four or five Clif bars, my glasses, a small camera tripod, and some pencils in the bottom portion. Then maps, sunblock, satellite radio, notepads, more maps, some Visine, and have some room left over in the top. Then, there's side netting for stuffing earplugs or candy bar wrappers, or receipts, or Trojan Magnum condoms (in case the girlies see you in your Aerostitch.).

I believe that the model that I got was the Explorer, with the rigid platen.

I recommend you look at the Marsee 20 litre Teardrop bag as well. 5 months ago I bought a used 19 litre Pocket Rocket for my 05 RT that was almost brand new for $75 (new $150). It is not the perfect fit for the 05 RT (the Teardrop would be) but it is so close it does not matter. I also electrified the bag for an additional $25. They are very well made without the price tag of the BMW bag. If you are patient you can always search out a used BMW bag on several websites. Good luck.

It's great how this site works. When I got my RT it had the Big Mak bracket attached to the gas cap. I had no idea what it was so I asked the salesman. He tells me it's for some kind of map case. Shows you how much he knows. Now thanks to your advice I will get the bag and I don't need the bracket. What's a good size? Is the big one too bulky?

I had a Big Mak Explorer bag on my R1150RT and I liked it. I thought it was about the right size as I could put all my little junk as well as my Autocom in there. The Explorer bag is made for the RT as it is narrower in the front so it doesn't get in the way of the handle bars. You can put a map case on the top of the Explorer and you'll be all set.

I have a Bagster that expands to 30 liters. Strong vinyl and a few extra pockets. It relies on the tank cover to secure it.

hayneskld\RT_bags.jpg

Timmy,

Check out the Big Mak selection..... thumbsup.gif

Really depends on how much "stuff" you need to carry. I really like my Explorer bag and coupled with the gas cap platen, makes removal of the bag and gassing up the bike a breeze.

Archived