IGNORED

GPS dash mount on 06' RT

DJDixon

The bike: 2006 R1200RT

The GPS: Garmin Zumo 595

The mount: Wunderlich standard dash mount

The question:  How do I get the cables into the fairing?  Can't run them through the holes for the windscreen adjuster arms (just a bad idea I think), and the suggestion of running them through the gap between the instruments and the instrument surround sounds ugly to me.  What has everybody else done?  I do have a mid handlebar mount which would be much easier to run the cables for but I really want the Zumo at eye level.  Ideas / comments??

The factory runs the wires under the gauge visor. There is a channel under there for running the Nav cable. The visor is part of the gauge cover panel. IIRC I removed that panel as per BMW installation instructions. The aux power plug you'll need is down on the center fairing bracket. It looks fine installed.

I'd post pics but my cell phone went swimming today so it'll be a couple days to get them. By then one of the other inmates here will have posted the install diagram (most likely).

Once you take the gauge cover/visor assy. off it will by pretty obvious.:5147:

Kerry in Mpls
On 7/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, DJDixon said:

The bike: 2006 R1200RT

The GPS: Garmin Zumo 595

The mount: Wunderlich standard dash mount

The question:  How do I get the cables into the fairing?  Can't run them through the holes for the windscreen adjuster arms (just a bad idea I think), and the suggestion of running them through the gap between the instruments and the instrument surround sounds ugly to me.  What has everybody else done?  I do have a mid handlebar mount which would be much easier to run the cables for but I really want the Zumo at eye level.  Ideas / comments??

I have the same GPS on the same year RT. I fed the main cable through the opening for the right-side windscreen arm. By positioning and securing (zip-tying) the cable just so on the top and also underneath, the cable lays down perfectly and is not pinched or worn when the windscreen is raised/lowered. The 595 cradle is attached to the bike with a mount from GadgetGuy (no longer available), I don't know if the same routing is possible with the Wunderlich mount.

See photos, sorry about the bugs.

IMG_6017.jpg

IMG_6018.jpg

• 2 months later...

Dave,

Yes, that is the one I am using.  Right now I am in the process of wiring the GPS up, it's a bit of a challenge with the Zumo 595 cable but it's coming along.  I also bought their locking cage for the 590/595 - basically to keep honest people honest.  Once I get the wiring done I'm going to take pictures to help the next person with the install.  I'm running the cable through the right upper windshield riser port as suggested by Kerry.