IGNORED

Exercise ESA or leave it alone?

Leekg3379

Will regular operation of the ESA servos lengthen or shorten their lives? Do they wear out or seize from lack of use?

The front damping and rear spring preload were non-operative when I bought my RT. I was preparing to rebuild or replace the shocks when I read about a firmware update that might get them working. Indeed, the latest firmware brought everything to life - so far anyway. Should I cycle them regularly or only when needed? What's the group's thinking please?

Lee

2006 R1200RT

Yes

I had to do the same with my HexHead 2005 model.

But I recommend not to be sitting on it when you do, as it puts extra load on the system.

Mine also required re-awakening and it took the dealer a few goes to get it back working.

After that I cycled it on every ride, but on the side stand and watched it rise or sink.

It never played up again in the 2 years I had it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Leekg3379 said:

Will regular operation of the ESA servos lengthen or shorten their lives? Do they wear out or seize from lack of use?

The front damping and rear spring preload were non-operative when I bought my RT. I was preparing to rebuild or replace the shocks when I read about a firmware update that might get them working. Indeed, the latest firmware brought everything to life - so far anyway. Should I cycle them regularly or only when needed? What's the group's thinking please?

Lee

2006 R1200RT

Morning Lee

Good question, anything done to excess is probably bad so too much use will eventually wear it out but on the other side no use for extended periods can allow it to seize up.

I usually cycle my 1200 bikes when I think about it as I seldom have reason to move them otherwise.    

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
duckbubbles
2 minutes ago, christianf said:

I change it on the fly depending on the road condition, is this not good for the system?

The way I understand it, the DAMPING can be changed on the fly but the PRELOAD of the spring can only be changed with the engine running at a standstill.

Frank

10 hours ago, duckbubbles said:

The way I understand it, the DAMPING can be changed on the fly but the PRELOAD of the spring can only be changed with the engine running at a standstill.

Frank

Correct.