IGNORED

How to reinstall rider footpeg

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

I'm replacing the right footpeg on my '15 R1200RT (don't ask), and I had no problem getting the old peg off, but I'm damned if I can figure out how to get the new one installed.  The spring has to be under tension, and trying to get both ends of the spring in place and get the pin through the plastic sleeve in the middle of the spring seems impossible, at least for me (I may be weak).  Especially with only two hands.  The shop manual is no help - it just says "install spring and sleeve".

I've tried a couple of approaches:
1) what the shop manual seems to recommend: fully insert the pin, the slide the spring and sleeve onto the pin (and the vertical end of the spring into the hole on the footpeg.  I can get only so far, and then the short, horizontal end of the spring is stuck under the frame, when it's supposed to come around the outside of it and rest in a notch.  I can't figure a way to grab it and get enough leverage on it to get it there.

2) put the spring and sleeve in position with the pin only through the peg and mount, then try to push the coil of the spring toward the center of the bike until it lines up with the pin and push the pin through.  But I can barely budge the spring.

Does anyone have any tips?

The Fabricator

I don't know the configuration of your peg/spring.

The  peg spring on KTM dirt bikes is also a bear.  I would force the spring ends together and insert the ends into a socket, so the spring loop is exposed.  Then insert into the peg and bracket, insert pin.

13 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

I'm replacing the right footpeg on my '15 R1200RT (don't ask), and I had no problem getting the old peg off, but I'm damned if I can figure out how to get the new one installed.  The spring has to be under tension, and trying to get both ends of the spring in place and get the pin through the plastic sleeve in the middle of the spring seems impossible, at least for me (I may be weak).  Especially with only two hands.  The shop manual is no help - it just says "install spring and sleeve".

I've tried a couple of approaches:
1) what the shop manual seems to recommend: fully insert the pin, the slide the spring and sleeve onto the pin (and the vertical end of the spring into the hole on the footpeg.  I can get only so far, and then the short, horizontal end of the spring is stuck under the frame, when it's supposed to come around the outside of it and rest in a notch.  I can't figure a way to grab it and get enough leverage on it to get it there.

2) put the spring and sleeve in position with the pin only through the peg and mount, then try to push the coil of the spring toward the center of the bike until it lines up with the pin and push the pin through.  But I can barely budge the spring.

Does anyone have any tips?

Morning Bill  

Those springs can be a pain. Sometimes I can get the spring & bushing in place by putting the pin in just far enough to slightly stick through, then slide the spring tail into the hole then slide the spring & bushing into place by pushing the spring & bushing in with a gloved thumb.

I have also pushed the spring & bushing into place with a piece of wood (with a shallow V notch cut to cradle & control the spring)  pushing it in far enough to allow the pin to push through. (kind of a keep downward pressure on the pin as I give the spring & bushing a quick sharp HARD push in with that piece of wood) 

Sometimes the pin will push right through while pushing the spring & bushing in  & other times they are real fighters. 

Now I haven't ever done a 2015RT  but I believe they are about the same as the earlier 1200RT's.

• Like 2
Bill_Walker
On 6/20/2021 at 4:33 AM, dirtrider said:

Sometimes I can get the spring & bushing in place by putting the pin in just far enough to slightly stick through, then slide the spring tail into the hole then slide the spring & bushing into place by pushing the spring & bushing in with a gloved thumb.

That worked, along with putting a dab of grease on the mounting plate where the end of the spring rests, so that it was free to slide as I compressed the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Suburban Machinery footpeg extenders on 3 previous BMW's and I love them.  I didn't reply to this thread initially because I could not remember my specific technique, only that it was pretty simple, and that the pegs install very quickly.  As it happens, I just bought a new-to-me R1250RT, and I had a S-M DL3W kit on the way.  So, this time when I installed them, I took a couple of pics to help out anyone who gets stumped.  

First, put the bike on a lift if you have one.  The first step is to remove the stock pegs.  I place a catch cup under the peg pivot pin to catch the spring clip as I pull it off.  Drive out the pivot pin, and collect the spring and the plastic piece.  Clean everything up, and lube the pivot pin.  Put the spring in place and slip the pivot pin into the holes.  The next step is where Bill was having trouble -- getting the plastic piece to slip back into place so that you can replace the clip.  I use a deep socket to push the plastic piece, and the handle of a small hammer to push the side of the spring.  Simultaneously push the plastic up with the socket, and push the spring towards the frame with the handle. This takes two hands, and about 3 seconds.  Here are pics of the socket and the hammer handle in sequence...

Hope this helps.  Cap

peg2.jpg

Peg1.jpg

• Like 1