IGNORED

Display Blank

JohnTC

HI!   Long time since I've visited.     I have a 2010 RT, somewhat over 90,000 miles, and no issues to speak of.   However, something happened today that has not occurred before:   I took a 20 mile ride to an appointment.    When finished, I started up and took off, then realizing when I got on the freeway that the digital display was blank.  No turn signal indicators, speedometer or tachometer, gear indicator, etc.   But lights and turn signals were good (seeing reflections off vehicles in front).  When I got off the freeway, turned off the ignition at a signal, then back on------display was back on.  I've turned on and off several times since then, and no problem.   I'm getting ready to leave for Montana in a couple of days, so want to see if this is something anyone has run across before, and/or anything I need to have attention on.   

Thanks!

7 hours ago, JohnTC said:

HI!   Long time since I've visited.     I have a 2010 RT, somewhat over 90,000 miles, and no issues to speak of.   However, something happened today that has not occurred before:   I took a 20 mile ride to an appointment.    When finished, I started up and took off, then realizing when I got on the freeway that the digital display was blank.  No turn signal indicators, speedometer or tachometer, gear indicator, etc.   But lights and turn signals were good (seeing reflections off vehicles in front).  When I got off the freeway, turned off the ignition at a signal, then back on------display was back on.  I've turned on and off several times since then, and no problem.   I'm getting ready to leave for Montana in a couple of days, so want to see if this is something anyone has run across before, and/or anything I need to have attention on.   

Thanks!

Morning  John

I have heard of this before but like yours they seem to come back on after a re-key-up. 

I'm not sure what is happening but it could be a errant RFI signal where you were parked as the dash gets a lot of it's information from the CAN (CanBus).    

I talked to a guy last year that told me his only acted up when the bike was parked with the dash directly in the very hot sun. 

Unfortunately I haven't tried to root-cause that problem yet as most do come back on so about all I know is what riders have told me happened. 

If it happens again try to get a GS-911 or dealer computer on that bike, see if you are getting (& trapping) a code  something like  "No Canbus communication to instrument cluster".

Not sure if this applies, but I've had some similar anomalies caused by hitting the starter button before the bike computers have had time to complete their boot-up routines. A more patient re-start has always corrected the issue.

Thanks.   I'll keep an eye on it, but now that I think about it, I was parked for about :20 facing north, with the sun directly on the display.  I'd bet that was it...it's been plenty hot here in So Cal.

14 hours ago, JohnTC said:

Thanks.   I'll keep an eye on it, but now that I think about it, I was parked for about :20 facing north, with the sun directly on the display.  I'd bet that was it...it's been plenty hot here in So Cal.

I had similar happen but not totally blank. I parked the bike on a hot day to get a bite to eat. The day was hot and the sun was shining on the bike directly over it. About an hour later the display was so dim I couldn't read anything off of it but was able to see enough that it was displaying something. Short time later riding it all came back to normal. Since then when I park in a similar condition I place my riding jacket over the headset. Problem solved. 

1 minute ago, 6speedTi said:

I had similar happen but not totally blank. I parked the bike on a hot day to get a bite to eat. The day was hot and the sun was shining on the bike directly over it. About an hour later the display was so dim I couldn't read anything off of it but was able to see enough that it was displaying something. Short time later riding it all came back to normal. Since then when I park in a similar condition I place my riding jacket over the headset. Problem solved. 

Morning  6speedTi

That is I believe a different problem, most seem to do the very dim thing with sitting in direct hot sun.  My 1200RT has done that since new.  It's very dim but still working & turn signal indicators still work fine.