IGNORED

RT new battery rating

Dave P

96 1100RT,  so she has a 6 plus year old AGM battery, she is starting to give me alternate flashing abs lights on startup even after being on my battery tender all night long. Thinking it might be time for a new battery. I see 18 amp rated agm batteries and 22 amp rated agm batteries. Is the 22 amp battery the one I want? My old battery is a Westco and has performed well all this time. Thanks for your assistance in advance. Dave

Flashing ABS lights are an indicator of weak battery.  At six years, the AGM batteries is on it's last legs.  I had a 96 for 22 years.  When I parked it in the garage, it was always on a tender.  Never had a battery failure.  But like you, I did get the flashing ABS and boogied to my dealer to get a new batt ASAP.

11 hours ago, Dave P said:

96 1100RT,  so she has a 6 plus year old AGM battery, she is starting to give me alternate flashing abs lights on startup even after being on my battery tender all night long. Thinking it might be time for a new battery. I see 18 amp rated agm batteries and 22 amp rated agm batteries. Is the 22 amp battery the one I want? My old battery is a Westco and has performed well all this time. Thanks for your assistance in advance. Dave

Morning Dave

Using amp hour rating for stating battery choice is not always as it seems. 

If you are looking for the battery that will allow you leave your parking lights on for the longest time then you want a 22 amp hour battery over an 18 amp hour rated battery. 

On the other hand if you want a battery that will give you the most starting power (cold battery/cold engine cranking ability) then you want the battery with the  highest CCA  (Cold Cranking Amps).   

You also have to consider your older 1100 charging system, it produces plenty of amps output to recharge about any motorcycle battery but the charging voltage is a little on the low side to keep some of the newer HiTec (combined starting/deep cycle) AGM batteries fully charged.  

DR, well I don't typically leave any lights on, and usually plug in my little Battery Tender junior when I return from a ride. Ive got LEDs now for all of my lights (except for instruments), so energy consumption is probably pretty low. Maybe an 18 amp battery is adequate? I'll compare CCAs in my shopping. Dave

31 minutes ago, Dave P said:

DR, well I don't typically leave any lights on, and usually plug in my little Battery Tender junior when I return from a ride. Ive got LEDs now for all of my lights (except for instruments), so energy consumption is probably pretty low. Maybe an 18 amp battery is adequate? I'll compare CCAs in my shopping. Dave

Morning Dave

If you leave your motorcycle hooked to a Battery Tender then THAT is one more thing to consider. 

Not all Battery Tenders (especially older ones) are suitable for some newer AGM type batteries. Some AGM batteries do require a  battery maintainer that has charging & maintaining charging characteristics that will keep them properly charged  & fully maintained.  

Most newer smart chargers will work OK but if your Battery Tender is from the old lead/acid days then it might not be correct for the newer AGM battery types.  

DR- well my lil Tender is like this one, I think it's less than 10 years old. I'll look at it's specs and exactly what Westco battery I've got in the bike in the next few days. Dave

C98DEB44-5563-4AE5-8C2C-0FE49605137E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Dave P said:

DR- well my lil Tender is like this one, I think it's less than 10 years old. I'll look at it's specs and exactly what Westco battery I've got in the bike in the next few days. Dave

Afternoon Dave

Yes, do look at the specs on that Battery Tender, the latest version of that charger will handle lead/acid, AGM, & Gel. Not sure on a 10 year old one but good chance it is the same.   

DR, so I looked at my Tender 800, looks just like that earlier pic i posted. I do now have the model and serial numbers as well as the phone number for Deltran. So I think I'll call them tomorrow with those numbers and ask about charging an AGM battery with my older Tender 800.

I found several AGM batteries with a CCA number of 170 (many online listings have no CCA number), one I think said 210 and one said 270 CCA. Is this higher number of 270 what I should shoot for on this new battery purchase? I think the Oddessy said 170 CCA.  Dave

I went with an off application 22AH AGM battery in my '99 RT that eliminated the dreaded ABS low volt fault from the OEM flooded LA battery specified.  Around $55 delivered to your door.  The battery is marketed to battery back-up and wheel chair applications, but it fits like a glove and I have never had a problem with these batteries delivering enough current to start while maintaining enough power the bikes electronics.  At $55 I change them out every 5 years, but they would go a few years more before they would be acting old.  To be fair, they are not designed as an automotive battery so the posts are thin plates, not posts, and you do need to ream the hole on the terminals for the larger bolts on the RT, but they have never let me down.  Power Sonic, Panasonic and Universal Battery all make ones that will work.  As a side note, unless you have upgraded your voltage regulator to be compatible with the charging requirements of an AGM battery, you are best to use a AGM compatible battery maintainer from time to time to be sure the battery gets a full charge.

chrisolson
2 hours ago, Dave P said:

Is this higher number of 270 what I should shoot for on this new battery purchase? I

As dirtrider posted  ...

14 hours ago, dirtrider said:

... if you want a battery that will give you the most starting power (cold battery/cold engine cranking ability) then you want the battery with the  highest CCA  (Cold Cranking Amps).   

The more starting power the better as it is essential to get those two big pistons cranking over at a good clip for an initial start up. And as dirtrider and Paul De have also advised , you may need to upgrade your old tender to a more modern charger unless the battery tender folks say that your current unit will handle it..

10 hours ago, Dave P said:

DR, so I looked at my Tender 800, looks just like that earlier pic i posted. I do now have the model and serial numbers as well as the phone number for Deltran. So I think I'll call them tomorrow with those numbers and ask about charging an AGM battery with my older Tender 800.

I found several AGM batteries with a CCA number of 170 (many online listings have no CCA number), one I think said 210 and one said 270 CCA. Is this higher number of 270 what I should shoot for on this new battery purchase? I think the Oddessy said 170 CCA.  Dave

Morning Dave

Really depends on battery type, for a common AGM starting battery then you want at least 170 CCA, a little more is better. 270 CCA would be great but I have a feeling that is a misprint (or very expensive battery).   

CCA is rating a battery at 0 degrees F.  Most of us will not ride at that temperature.  So look for rating at 32 degrees F or the hot rating which will give a more accurate real world power rating.  The popular Odyessy 680 give three rating CCA 170, MCA 280 and  HCA 350 amps.   

1 hour ago, Mike279 said:

CCA is rating a battery at 0 degrees F.  Most of us will not ride at that temperature.  So look for rating at 32 degrees F or the hot rating which will give a more accurate real world power rating.  The popular Odyessy 680 give three rating CCA 170, MCA 280 and  HCA 350 amps.   

Afternoon Mike

The problem is (HCA) allows games to be played with that rating as it isn't a BCI  approved rating so it isn't properly verified. Even if it was a BCI  verified test our BMW cranking ABS problems seldom shows up at 80°f engine cranking.  

MCA (CA) is more of a marine rating, it is approved by BCI, so that could be used  but a lot of standard motorcycle starting batteries don't carry that rating as it is used more on marine, powersports,  or combination deep cycle/starting batteries like the Odyssey  680. If all batteries being considered have this rating then it could be used with confidence for most motorcycle battery choice.

The old standard (CCA) is still the best across the board apples to apples battery comparison as that rating is usually easy to find on the battery. 

So I didn't get through at Deltran (Battery Tender) about my 10 year old BT 800 charger working with an AGM. Will try again tomorrow. 

I did see an AGM that I believe is targeted to Harleys but sounds like a possibility:

Banshee 14BS battery

12v agm, 245 CCA,

14 Ah (too low?)

similar in size to a westco, a little bit smaller

$60 range

4 year warranty 

I noticed the 245 CCA, the price and it's bright red. Pity, I'd probably paint it black. Warranty. 

Thoughts?  Dave

893D9E00-FBC0-4A5C-BD6C-1F9746972434.png

13 hours ago, Dave P said:

So I didn't get through at Deltran (Battery Tender) about my 10 year old BT 800 charger working with an AGM. Will try again tomorrow. 

I did see an AGM that I believe is targeted to Harleys but sounds like a possibility:

Banshee 14BS battery

12v agm, 245 CCA,

14 Ah (too low?)

similar in size to a westco, a little bit smaller

$60 range

4 year warranty 

I noticed the 245 CCA, the price and it's bright red. Pity, I'd probably paint it black. Warranty. 

Thoughts?  Dave

893D9E00-FBC0-4A5C-BD6C-1F9746972434.png

Morning Dave

Are you SURE that battery is listed to fit a BMW 1100?  It seems to have different dimensions  to properly fit your battery tray. (your 1100 takes a battery about     7 1⁄4" x 3 3⁄16" x 6 11⁄16"  

Also check other listings for that battery as 245CCA seems way high for a 14 ah battery.

I know nothing about that Banshee 

So I talked to a battery tender guy and yes, my Tender 800 isn't really the right charger for an agm. I have gotten 6+ years out if this westco, but for 25 bucks I can get the correct tender to go with a new battery. I think I'll get a new Westco AGM like ive had for the last 6 years. The westco 12V20P is a 20 amp  battery rated at 275 CCAs and has a warranty. So for a hundred bucks I should be all set- battery and charger.

Now I just  need to sell an old Volvo... oops wrong forum. 😃. Dave

12 hours ago, Dave P said:

So I talked to a battery tender guy and yes, my Tender 800 isn't really the right charger for an agm. I have gotten 6+ years out if this westco, but for 25 bucks I can get the correct tender to go with a new battery. I think I'll get a new Westco AGM like ive had for the last 6 years. The westco 12V20P is a 20 amp  battery rated at 275 CCAs and has a warranty. So for a hundred bucks I should be all set- battery and charger.

Morning Dave

"I think I'll get a new Westco AGM like ive had for the last 6 years".-- You can't assume this as Westco doesn't make the batteries they sell. They typically  buy the batteries they sell from overseas then just slap a Westco label on them. 

I'm not saying the present Westco badged battery is no good, just  saying that it probably isn't from the same battery supplier that your current Westco came from. 

I think the currently sold Westco 12v20p comes from MK Battery in China (you can probably research them).

Some of the 12v20p batteries come factory charged with acid & others seem to come dry (installer needs to fill with acid) but the acid does come with the battery.

If you don't want to mess with the acid then make sure that the battery  you are buying comes factory filled & not dry/ 

A quick look at the   MK Battery 12v20p specs shows a recommended charging voltage of (14.4 to 14.6 volts maximum at 68°F)  & your 1996 1100RT alternator output voltage is probably in the 13.8 range so do look into a new proper rated Battery Tender. 

Yeah I'm going to get a new charger to go with the battery. Didn't think id have to fill it with acid, not really a big deal, just didn't think id have to. 

bike was a no start this morning with the tender on it all night. Think it wants a new battery! 

Paul, not an 1800, an 04 XC70 with 266k miles and a transmission that slips. But Ive been driving it to / from work for the last 3 months!

I have been watching my Odyessy slowly get weaker over the last decade and tried to buy a new one on E bay last week.  It was listed at a great price with 10 available with 4 sold.  Apparently none were shipped as E Bay refunded my money before my official refund request.  I would rather spend a few dollars more for the peace of mind of a better quality battery. And it must be a AGM so no acid leaks.   I do know of more than a few people who buy the used wheel chair? or other sealed batteries which are not rated for motorcycle use.  They have had good luck with them and seem to hold up pretty well as was noted here.  I just feel the better battery should have less of a chance of catastrophic failure.  In my case I tend to ride farther and often alone with my wife, so waiting to get home if the battery fails is not something I want to try.