IGNORED

Why didn't anyone tell me ......

Dave334478

On 6/6/2021 at 7:03 PM, RTinNC said:

OK ... have to say ... I've been on BMW's since 2000 and have owned 1150 oil head, 1200 hexhead, 1200 camhead and now 2 warheads and have never heard this right side thing.   In fact having had a tip over at a gas station many years ago filling on the right where the bike tipped into the pump and I needed help to right it I ALWAYS fill from left side now so that I am standing between the bike and pump.  Also,  i am always off he bike and take my time.  I am never in a rush getting gas so never sit on the bike.  But that is just me and YMMV. 

Indeed ... and the original post is meaningless drivel.  It's not in the owners manual because it would be meaningless drivel.  There is no mechanical requirement.

It is a good idea to have bike level, that is, on the centerstand.  That's what centerstands are for--maintenance--and an empty gas tank requires correction.  Centerstands certainly aren't for use "in the wild."

IMG_20210605_165045573.thumb.jpg.fee5b405d128ac105f9d322fa64f5789.jpg

On 6/10/2021 at 8:31 AM, BobW03 said:

Looking at that pump handle, it is not the bike but the fact you need to hold that surrounding rubber back with your other hand to fill the bike. I have not seen one of those 'emission' hoses for years in the Northeast. But I do remember I had to manually pull the hose back to get the filler far enough into the tank. There is something in that evaporative surround that needs to go back x mm for the pump to continue running. Same effect is you need to fill a gas can. You need to push the nozzle in far enough to push back the surround. Thus only partially filling a gas can.

If I insert the nozzle from the right side of the bike, it goes in normally and the outer rubber emmsions hose seals to the tank like it is supposed to. 

If I insert the nozzle from the left side of the bike, it won't go in far enough because it hits that metal plate inside the take that is extremly obvious in the photo because of where the nozzle has scratched the paint off.

Mystery solved! Those nozzles can be tricky, even with cars and trucks. I’ve cursed them more than once. It never occurred to me that the fill neck’s internal asymmetry would have an effect. 

As far as the concept of centerstand vs. sidestand when fueling, I don’t think it makes much of a difference. You might squeeze in a couple of more ounces of fuel when it’s on the centerstand, but my observation has been that you can pretty much top up your BMW (or other bike), regardless. Personally, because I’m basically lazy, I generally put it on the sidestand (in gear). But, if I’m going into the gas station and will be gone for a few minutes I favor the centerstand, feeling it’s more stable and less likely to be tipped over by some kid dinkin’ with it. In any case, pondering this is not something over which I lose a lot of sleep. 

The only reason I fill with the pump on the right is that I am right handed and tend to be on the bike when I refill and when I am off, it's on the center stand. It really doesn't matter which side though. 

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 6/7/2021 at 9:03 AM, John Ranalletta said:

Had the nozzle shut off fail while doing an on-bike fill on the Multistrada.  No flames but soaked the bike and me in gasoline.  Scared moment.

In the film, Ewen/Charlie adventure, McGregor had fuel splash back into his eyes that almost ended their trip.  Since watching that, I still fuel while onboard but never use the auto shutoff and always place free hand around the nozzle and leave my face shield down.

Have been splashed in the eyes before when the auto-shutoff was a little slow while fueling the bike.  Like you, I now cup my free hand around the fill area while I'm pumping gas.

Had the auto-shutoff fail completely while filling my car once.  I was busy cleaning the windshield at the time, so it dumped maybe a quart of gas on the ground before I could get it stopped.  A fuel stop for me generally means getting off the bike to stretch my legs and use the bathroom anyway, so avoiding a potential case of fuel-crotch is just one more reason to be off the bike while fueling.

• Like 1